Favorite Soundtracks In Film

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Not sure if such a thread exists, but here we go ["again," if applicable.] Favorite soundtracks in movies you love. Could be original scores, or just perfectly-selected songs that fit the tone of the film.

My all-time favorite soundtrack has to go to Interstellar. I actually don't like the film itself, but I paid to see it twice in theaters on IMAX because the music is overwhelmingly captivating. I know Hans Zimmer is divisive (to each their own,) but Interstellar is just musically intoxicating. Like a aural orgasm, it just doesn't stop once it grabs you.

Another would be Ocean's 11. The theme of slick, cool and deceptive just oozes throughout the film, and the celebrations when things are revealed are so satisfying. You can almost hear the instruments saying "gotcha!"

Thirdly Hackers. As a teen in the '90s just getting into Electronic music, Hackers was about as perfect as I could ask for. Hitting high notes on some of my favorite artists from the time that I still enjoy to this day. The movie is "meh," but if it comes on, you best believe I'm watching it.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Well, there's the classics like Magnificent Seven, The Great Escape, Lawrence of Arabia, Dambusters etc

Even if the score isn't great, if the music people seem to be giving it a fair go, IMHO that's a good sign, effort was involved in the film...but then it might only be the music people that put effort in so I shouldn't read too much into that.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
well brawl took care of it, but also

The movie sucked but the soundtrack is solid

The soundtrack is literally a radio station playlist very coooo jack

obligatory

sountrack and movie are one thing, by the 5th beatle Harry Nilsson

speaking of the beatles

some reznor (whod have thought, hed be the normal one, considering all the shit MM talked about him.)

I got a bunch more, but Id need to flip through my collection. I love sountracks designed around films as apposed to slotted in. RZA was heavily involved in Ghost Dogs production.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Ugh, at the risk of being a pedantic asshole; aren’t soundtracks distinct from scores? We’re mixing both here and they tend to be evaluated a bit differently.

@PsychedelicDiamond the score for Conan the Barbarian is fucking amaze balls.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Ugh, at the risk of being a pedantic asshole; aren’t soundtracks distinct from scores? We’re mixing both here and they tend to be evaluated a bit differently.
Third sentence of the first line of my first post:
Not sure if such a thread exists, but here we go ["again," if applicable.] Favorite soundtracks in movies you love. Could be original scores, or just perfectly-selected songs that fit the tone of the film.
Anyway, I forgot another one my favorites: The Terminator.

EDIT:

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Conan The Barbarian is my favourite soundtrack. It's certainly the only one I own.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020

Not too sure if it's a "favourite" but it certainly stood out above other film scores at time of watching. Every time I try putting it on during parties, people get all funny and angry about it, so approach with caution I guess.

Last edited:

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I loved this soundtrack. Here's a video of me playing "Photograph," the song Samantha (the artificially intelligent OS) writes for Theodore. I heard it, and couldn't sleep until I could play it.

Just like the movie itself the soundtrack works as a good companion piece to Lost in Translation's soundtrack.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Spirit, Stallion of the Cimarron was one of my fave films from back in the day, and is still one I thoroughly enjoy. Not a lot of people like Bryan Adams (I wouldn't say I love his music myself), but his original works for the movie honestly were really great (at last I think they're original, too lazy to check). And Hans Zimmer brought in the orchestral stuff that was just drop dead gorgeous, with Run Free being the highlight for me at the climax of the movie. I always get chills from 3:24-4:06.

And to give another example from Speed Racer, a movie I very much enjoy as well, I've gotta shout out the Caso Cristo rally race music. The soundtrack in general was, in my opinion, very good. But Casa Cristo always felt like one of the highlights, with some clever use of the original Speed Racer theme song motif partway through

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
well brawl took care of it, but also

The movie sucked but the soundtrack is solid

The soundtrack is literally a radio station playlist very coooo jack

obligatory

sountrack and movie are one thing, by the 5th beatle Harry Nilsson

speaking of the beatles

some reznor (whod have thought, hed be the normal one, considering all the shit MM talked about him.)

I got a bunch more, but Id need to flip through my collection. I love sountracks designed around films as apposed to slotted in. RZA was heavily involved in Ghost Dogs production.
You could do 2 threads on this topic. One, original music vs. the greatest needle drops ever. I was going to write Guardians as the needle drops are that good. Another in that line...

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States

EDIT: (Goddamn butter-fingers...) So, the soundtrack/composer that codified what a Western movie should sound like, Ennio Morricone has some downright amazing scores under his belt. From the above "Man With No Name" trilogy, to others like Once Upon A Time In The West(/America, which also has a great soundtrack by Morricone) to even his Thing/Hateful Eight score;

Moving on, I've always liked the way Tarantino weaved in music into his movies, and Once Upon A Time In Hollywood is probably my favorite (though I do wish we got a bit longer with some of the songs);

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I always liked the soundtrack from Clerks. Bad Religion, Alice in Chains, Corrosion of Conformity, Stabbing Westward. I heard somewhere licensing the songs for the movie... cost more than making the movie itself.

And I have to mention Twister. Chilli Peppers, Mark Knopfler, Goo Goo Dolls, Clapton... but Van Halen's work on the film is a real standout, especially the instrumental theme Respect the Wind. The movie was just dumb popcorn fun, but that soundtrack was worthy.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
You could do 2 threads on this topic. One, original music vs. the greatest needle drops ever. I was going to write Guardians as the needle drops are that good. Another in that line...

I prefer this one, but that's probably because I'm a fan of the Eurythmics