Ukraine

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
On another topic, and I'm not being snarky here, I cannot, for the life of me, understand the point of the torture and executions we've seen.

The whole schtick is that Russia was "liberating" Ukraine, so whether you (you, as in, a Russian soldier of commander) genuiely believe this or not, what's the point of this stuff? Either you believe you're libreating your fellow Russians/Slavs/Ukranians (who at the least, do share a history), or you understand the necessity of optics and therefore would want to keep casualities to a minimum.

Obviously terror has its place in war (as in, it's useful, if reprehensible), but why here? Russia has everything to lose from this. This isn't like the Blitz in WWII, or the type of sctick you see in a civil war, so what's the bloody point?
They're nazi man. They're the bad guys Ukrainians are being liberated from

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
The whole schtick is that Russia was "liberating" Ukraine, so whether you (you, as in, a Russian soldier of commander) genuiely believe this or not, what's the point of this stuff? Either you believe you're libreating your fellow Russians/Slavs/Ukranians (who at the least, do share a history), or you understand the necessity of optics and therefore would want to keep casualities to a minimum.
Armies are composed of people from the whole rich tapestry of humanity.

That means some of them are sociopaths, sadists, thugs, bullies, and yahoos who revel in the opportunity to use force. Some of them will be angry, frustrated, anxious, afraid and also armed to the teeth and trained to kill. Many to all of them will be themselves brutalised and desensitised as part of their training, to value life less. Indoctrinated that they are the good guys, assuming anyone who hates or rebukes them is a "Nazi". Low education, stumbling around confused with no idea what to do, frustrated with the knowledge things are going badly. And so on. They don't care about optics, orders, or anything much more than carrying out whatever murderous impulse flashes through them at the time, whether malice, panic, or whatever else.

Every time someone sends an army out, the expectation should be that there will be plentiful murder, rape, abuse and looting. Despite years of training to more humane standards, even Western armies are guaranteed to commit a fair bit: and arguably it is impressive how little they commit, much as each and every instance is no less an atrocity that should stain the hands of those who sent them out in the first place.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
On another topic, and I'm not being snarky here, I cannot, for the life of me, understand the point of the torture and executions we've seen.

Obviously terror has its place in war (as in, it's useful, if reprehensible), but why here? Russia has everything to lose from this. This isn't like the Blitz in WWII, or the type of sctick you see in a civil war, so what's the bloody point?
The Russian army and particularly the people involved in the invasion are partly made up of the likes of neo nazi militias and radical islamists from Chechnya. Violent excesses are to be expected.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom

Break the will to resist.

The "liberation" line was just used to sell the crusade to the Russian domestic audience, who cannot get any actual news about what happens, so cannot see the dissonance.

Generals

Elite Member
May 19, 2020
The official Russian response is actually that this is all staged by the US.

Yep, in a matter of hours after the Russian troops left; on a massive scale encompassing entire towns and villages; and without anybody managing to get any footage of them arriving, filming, and then leaving again.

I shit you not.
Russian propaganda has gone full Alex Jones?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I doubt it'd be an official policy
Executions, probably not. But it does appear to be official policy to target civilian infrastructure. There's no other explanation for extended shelling of places with zero strategic value, such as residential districts outside of the active zones of conflict, or the huge number of hospitals targeted.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
The Russian army and particularly the people involved in the invasion are partly made up of the likes of neo nazi militias and radical islamists from Chechnya. Violent excesses are to be expected.
Indeed.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
The official Russian response is actually that this is all staged by the US.

Yep, in a matter of hours after the Russian troops left; on a massive scale encompassing entire towns and villages; and without anybody managing to get any footage of them arriving, filming, and then leaving again.

I shit you not.
I wonder if they expect anyone to actually believe their lies.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I wonder if they expect anyone to actually believe their lies.
Well, that's the thing about Russia's general actions in the past 10 years, it's not like they're following some nebulous keikaku, their ideology and their long term ambitions are fairly obvious if you know where to look. Aleksandr Dugin, the architect of contemporary Russia's guiding ethos of Russian imperialism, or, as he calls it, "Eurasianism", is not some enigmatic figure, the guy has been writing books, publishing articles and giving interviews quite openly.

In this interview, for example, he talks quite openly about "Russian truth" as something subjective and "truth as a matter of believing". He dismisses the the existence of "facts" entirely, and that should tell you quite clearly where that propaganda is going. According to Dugin's worldview a lie that's widely believed enough, is the truth.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom

Interviews with survivors of Bucha. Killings with zero military justification, such as a sniper gunning down civilians in the street, and through apartment windows, including one respondent's son-in-law. Fucking harrowing.

Even if you automatically distrust anything from a "western" source, or believe reporters cannot be believed: survivors and the relatives of the victims are directly telling you what happened to them.

Reactions: CM156

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands

Interviews with survivors of Bucha. Killings with zero military justification, such as a sniper gunning down civilians in the street, and through apartment windows, including one respondent's son-in-law. Fucking harrowing.

Even if you automatically distrust anything from a "western" source, or believe reporters cannot be believed: survivors and the relatives of the victims are directly telling you what happened to them.
There's a neat trick to get around them. Just state that you don't believe they really are survivors, and that they are merely crisis actors paid by the west. If someone does that he can still simp for Russia without feeling too bad about it.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
When you endlessly bring up the flaws of Ukrainian democracy as an attempt to justify annexation
If you're going to keep making up positions for me to hold, I don't see much point continuing. That also goes for the rest of you.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
If you're going to keep making up positions for me to hold, I don't see much point continuing. That also goes for the rest of you.
You stated Ukraine should concede to Russia's strategic aims in order to "end the war". Face up to what that means: annexation.

In truth, when you repeat the tripe about how the Ukrainian government lacks legitimacy/ a mandate, you're laying the groundwork for regime change. I suspect intentionally so; you've had nothing but contempt for Ukraine's self-determination.

---

Olga Sukhenko, mayor of a small town near Kyiv, was abducted, tortured and executed by Russian soldiers, along with her family.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avnger and CM156

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
As Silvanus has said, when annexation (or becoming a vassal state with regime change to whatever Putin desires) is the practical end result your ideology leads to, you need to face up to it being your effective position.

Reactions: CM156

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
You stated Ukraine should concede to Russia's strategic aims in order to "end the war". Face up to what that means: annexation.

In truth, when you repeat the tripe about how the Ukrainian government lacks legitimacy/ a mandate, you're laying the groundwork for regime change. I suspect intentionally so; you've had nothing but contempt for Ukraine's self-determination.

---

Olga Sukhenko, mayor of a small town near Kyiv, was abducted, tortured and executed by Russian soldiers, along with her family.
If the war ends... it's actually just the beginning.

Just ask the West in Iraq. At minimum 200,000 innocent civilians dead. (Wow, thank god we got rid of Saddam.)