Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade; states can ban abortion

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I'll concede that I should have said "a definition". Would you care to backtrack on the "no it isn't" part?
Not without at least one instance of the word "intellectualist" used with the meaning you ascribed, as per my earlier request.
Show me an instance of something allegedly intellectualist rejecting empiricism. The scientific process involves empirical evidence so I suspect most would consider someone rejecting it no longer being intellectual.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Not without at least one instance of the word "intellectualist" used with the meaning you ascribed, as per my earlier request.
"intellectualist: One who intellectualizes; a devotee of the intellect or understanding; one who believes or holds that all knowledge is derived from pure reason. "

"In the field of philosophy, "intellectualism" is synonymous with rationalism"

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Last edited:
Reactions: tstorm823

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Oh, look. All the things that Republicans keep telling us won't happen are happening.

Oh my god! They wanted to.... [checks article]... double check that a wanted child had actually died before chopping it to pieces! Those monsters!

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Oh my god! They wanted to.... [checks article]... double check that a wanted child had actually died before chopping it to pieces! Those monsters!
Dr. Lillian Schapiro, an Atlanta-based OB-GYN, told CNN that carrying a dead fetus can quickly become dangerous for the mother.
"She can develop an infection that can make her sterile and never able to have children again," Schapiro said. "When the baby dies inside, the baby starts to release parts of its tissue that can get into the mother's blood supply. It can cause organ failure. It can cause death."
You want her to carry a dead fetus inside of her to punish her for not being a good enough mother to bring forth a baby that a man saw fit to put inside her. If it kills her, such are the wages of sin, right?

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
You want her to carry a dead fetus inside of her to punish her for not being a good enough mother to bring forth a baby that a man saw fit to put inside her. If it kills her, such are the wages of sin, right?
Yeah the right on this board are just wearing their full fasci colours on their sleeve now. This board has a nazi problem.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
You equate this to chopping a child to pieces? Sounds about right for a christian right wing zealot.
What bible verse on this issue do you use to justify your brainwashing?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
You equate this to chopping a child to pieces? Sounds about right for a christian right wing zealot.
What bible verse on this issue do you use to justify your brainwashing?
Because acknowledging and accepting the LGBTQ+ in schools is grooming, wearing masks and getting vaccinated is facism, and getting an abortion is chopping children to pieces.

Oh wait, I forgot one; Allowing gays to get married will result in people marrying animals.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Oh wait, I forgot one; Allowing gays to get married will result in people marrying animals.
Weird thing, I live in one of the handful of states where bestiality is not illegal (unless it physically harms the animal, in which case it qualifies as regular old animal abuse).

This is a direct consequence of LGBT rights. How, you ask? We had one of those "crimes against nature" laws that made various sorts of deemed-unacceptable sexual conduct illegal, and it was repealed to legalize homosexual sex. No replacement for the part of that same law to re-ban bestiality has passed since, though it gets proposed most years and then dies quietly because there are more important things going on then bothering the handful of folks who want to screw the pooch literally rather than just figuratively.

Reactions: Leg End

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
If an ultrasound detects no heartbeat, it is a perfectly normal procedure to check again, assuming no other signs of major issues. It can be difficult to detect a heartbeat earlier in a pregnancy, so a week or two wait gives much clearer confirmation of a miscarriage. This is standard medical care.

The Texas abortion law they are talking about did not make this happen. " A physician does not violate this section if the physician performed a test for a fetal heartbeat under Section 171.203 and did not detect a fetal heartbeat. " The law did not make the doctor schedule a second test. One test is explicitly sufficient. However:

" There are a few possible reasons for the absence of a heartbeat on ultrasound. If you have no other symptoms, rechecking with another ultrasound seven to 10 days is the most common recommendation. "

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
If an ultrasound detects no heartbeat, it is a perfectly normal procedure to check again, assuming no other signs of major issues. It can be difficult to detect a heartbeat earlier in a pregnancy, so a week or two wait gives much clearer confirmation of a miscarriage. This is standard medical care.

The Texas abortion law they are talking about did not make this happen. " A physician does not violate this section if the physician performed a test for a fetal heartbeat under Section 171.203 and did not detect a fetal heartbeat. " The law did not make the doctor schedule a second test. One test is explicitly sufficient. However:

" There are a few possible reasons for the absence of a heartbeat on ultrasound. If you have no other symptoms, rechecking with another ultrasound seven to 10 days is the most common recommendation. "
And, of course, the woman's wishes have absolutely no bearing here. She wanted the procedure done, but no, she had to suffer in pain and mental anguish for weeks because Republicans just can't have enough control over other people.

Stop pretending this is about saving lives. This is about punishment. This is about making women suffer. This is about control.

Reactions: Buyetyen

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Weird thing, I live in one of the handful of states where bestiality is not illegal (unless it physically harms the animal, in which case it qualifies as regular old animal abuse).

This is a direct consequence of LGBT rights. How, you ask? We had one of those "crimes against nature" laws that made various sorts of deemed-unacceptable sexual conduct illegal, and it was repealed to legalize homosexual sex. No replacement for the part of that same law to re-ban bestiality has passed since, though it gets proposed most years and then dies quietly because there are more important things going on then bothering the handful of folks who want to screw the pooch literally rather than just figuratively.
That's weirdly hilarious and awful all at once.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
I see conservatives are still stuck on the heartbeat thing. I suppose it wouldn't do any good to point out that the heart is not in fact the seat of human consciousness.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
And, of course, the woman's wishes have absolutely no bearing here. She wanted the procedure done, but no, she had to suffer in pain and mental anguish for weeks because Republicans just can't have enough control over other people.

Stop pretending this is about saving lives. This is about punishment. This is about making women suffer. This is about control.
Do you go to the doctor and tell them what surgeries to perform on you? Is that a normal thing for you, you say "hey, I need an appendectomy in the next 24 hours, do it"? Or do doctor's typically make recommendations for you to choose to take them up on?

You need this to be cruel, you need this to be evil, because you can't stand the idea that people might have valid disagreements with you.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I see conservatives are still stuck on the heartbeat thing. I suppose it wouldn't do any good to point out that the heart is not in fact the seat of human consciousness.
Consciousness was never the standard. Viability has often been the standard. The probability of a healthy pregnancy increases dramatically with the detection of a heartbeat. That's the logic.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
"Sometimes a lack of a fetal heartbeat does indicate a definite miscarriage. These situations include:
  • Having previously seen the heartbeat but finding no heartbeat on a subsequent ultrasound"
And from the People article:
noting that an ultrasound at around 7 weeks showed that everything with her baby was normal.
However, another ultrasound two weeks later revealed Stell suffered a pregnancy loss. "[The doctor] said there is no heartbeat. There is no viable pregnancy,"
There was no reason to keep the lump in there for any longer. Somebody's taking the piss. It's pretty grim if abortion laws really are to blame here.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
"Sometimes a lack of a fetal heartbeat does indicate a definite miscarriage. These situations include:
  • Having previously seen the heartbeat but finding no heartbeat on a subsequent ultrasound"
And from the People article:

There was no reason to keep the lump in there for any longer. Somebody's taking the piss. It's pretty grim if abortion laws really are to blame here.
"Everything was normal" does not necessarily include a heartbeat detected at 7 weeks.