Print Media Hot Takes

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
I don't know how hot a take this is, and I'm pretty sure that I haven't mentioned it or seen it mentioned before, but here goes. Superhero relationships should, if not need to, be changed. Always having Batman get romantically involved with Catwoman, Dick Grayson with Batgirl, Spider-Man with MJ stagnates the characters and can lead to weak or lazy writing.

Allowing these characters to date, pine for or marry other people can open up newer and fresher story ideas.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
I don't know how hot a take this is, and I'm pretty sure that I haven't mentioned it or seen it mentioned before, but here goes. Superhero relationships should, if not need to, be changed. Always having Batman get romantically involved with Catwoman, Dick Grayson with Batgirl, Spider-Man with MJ stagnates the characters and can lead to weak or lazy writing.

Allowing these characters to date, pine for or marry other people can open up newer and fresher story ideas.
They've been doing this for decades. There have been long periods where Batman, Nightwing, Spider-Man, hell even Superman weren't with their most iconic love interests. Spider-Man went through about three main love interests before getting to MJ and Superman didn't get married to Lois Lane until 1996. To say nothing of superheroes more known for playing the field than settling down like Hawkeye, She-Hulk and Tony Stark.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

Um...Dick Grayson has been romantically involved with lots of different heroines. Starfire probably most notably, also Huntress, one of the Supergirls fancied him, etc.

Likewise, Batman had a child with Talia.

Spider-Man and Gwen Stacy were a thing for a bit as well.

Superman had a thing with Lana Lang, and a mermaid whose name also begins with L. It seems he has a name type, which makes me wonder about his relationship with Lex Luthor.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Um...Dick Grayson has been romantically involved with lots of different heroines. Starfire probably most notably, also Huntress, one of the Supergirls fancied him, etc.
Well, he ain't called "Dick" for nothing. :p

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009

Likewise, Batman had a child with Talia.

Spider-Man and Gwen Stacy were a thing for a bit as well.

Superman had a thing with Lana Lang, and a mermaid whose name also begins with L. It seems he has a name type, which makes me wonder about his relationship with Lex Luthor.
From my understanding, and this might be more for the movies and shows as I don’t read comics that much anymorethe standard relationships are either endgame or they are hit on.

Batman will always get with Catwoman, Grayson will always date Barbara (however briefly), Superman will be with Lois and Spider-Man will always want MJ.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
From my understanding, and this might be more for the movies and shows as I don’t read comics that much anymorethe standard relationships are either endgame or they are hit on.

Batman will always get with Catwoman, Grayson will always date Barbara (however briefly), Superman will be with Lois and Spider-Man will always want MJ.
Even in shows and movies that isn't guaranteed.

MJ was nowhere to be seen in the Amazing Spider-Man movies. Batman doesn't end up with anyone in the Burton/Schumacher movies. The Nolan movies are the ones where he ends up with Catwoman and even there it's not clear if that was real or Alfred hallucinating.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Even in shows and movies that isn't guaranteed.

MJ was nowhere to be seen in the Amazing Spider-Man movies. Batman doesn't end up with anyone in the Burton/Schumacher movies. The Nolan movies are the ones where he ends up with Catwoman and even there it's not clear if that was real or Alfred hallucinating.
And Justice League Unlimited spent its runtime teasing Batman and Wonder Woman - which I was totally fuckin' in favour of - but wasn't able to do shit with it because they'd made Batman Beyond already and one of the plot points in that was that Bruce slept with Barbara and got her pregnant behind Dick's back; classy move there Bruce.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
And Justice League Unlimited spent its runtime teasing Batman and Wonder Woman - which I was totally fuckin' in favour of - but wasn't able to do shit with it because they'd made Batman Beyond already and one of the plot points in that was that Bruce slept with Barbara and got her pregnant behind Dick's back; classy move there Bruce.
Bruce getting Barbara pregnant was a plot point written the DCAU comics long after the both shows had ended. The main reasons they didn't do much with Bruce and Diana was because Batman Beyond established Bruce as being completely alone until Terry comes into his life and the writers themselves not caring much for the relationship. Timm outright said he couldn't think of anything more interesting to do with Diana besides teasing her with Bruce.

Frankly, I don't care for Wonder Woman dating male heroes because she's generally depicted as a prize or a secondary character in those types of relationships.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Bruce getting Barbara pregnant was a plot point written the DCAU comics long after the both shows had ended. The main reasons they didn't do much with Bruce and Diana was because Batman Beyond established Bruce as being completely alone until Terry comes into his life and the writers themselves not caring much for the relationship. Timm outright said he couldn't think of anything more interesting to do with Diana besides teasing her with Bruce.

Frankly, I don't care for Wonder Woman dating male heroes because she's generally depicted as a prize or a secondary character in those types of relationships.
In poor writers hands I suspect that would indeed happen. I personally liked it since Diana was the opposite of a lot of Bruce’s other love interests: there’s no conflict of interest (so to speak) like there is with Selina Kyle or Talia Al Ghul, it’s not spiked with tragedy like Andrea Beaumont, it’s not fuckin’ weird like it would be with Barbara Gordon and more interesting than Vicki Vale. And he doesn’t have to worry about his rogues finding out and hurting him through her because there isn’t a single of Batman’s exclusive villain line up who wouldn’t have their shit well and truly ruined if they tried because none of them are in Wonder Woman’s power and fight class.

Plus I confess - along with being a fan of Nightwing and Starfire - I find myself enamoured with the sort of comedic potential the couple presents in the right hands.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
In poor writers hands I suspect that would indeed happen. I personally liked it since Diana was the opposite of a lot of Bruce’s other love interests: there’s no conflict of interest (so to speak) like there is with Selina Kyle or Talia Al Ghul, it’s not spiked with tragedy like Andrea Beaumont, it’s not fuckin’ weird like it would be with Barbara Gordon and more interesting than Vicki Vale. And he doesn’t have to worry about his rogues finding out and hurting him through her because there isn’t a single of Batman’s exclusive villain line up who wouldn’t have their shit well and truly ruined if they tried because none of them are in Wonder Woman’s power and fight class.

Plus I confess - along with being a fan of Nightwing and Starfire - I find myself enamoured with the sort of comedic potential the couple presents in the right hands.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Recipes that start with long diatribes about the writer's life experience are just...I don't care, I just wan't to know how to cook the thing plz. If I wanted your stories I'd buy your bloody autobiography instead.
Dude, I'm just here for the pancake recipe. Please stop telling me your life story as a prelude. nobody cares

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Recipes that start with long diatribes about the writer's life experience are just...I don't care, I just wan't to know how to cook the thing plz. If I wanted your stories I'd buy your bloody autobiography instead.
To truly prepare the meal properly you need to be able to put yourself in the place of the original chef. Without true understanding of the events leading up to the creation of the dish the essence of the flavour will be lost.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
If the recipe doesn’t jump right into how to cook the damn dish I won’t even bother with it. I will hit the back button and find a different link.

And on a related note, anyone that includes any water flavoring or drink mixes (Kool-Aid, Crystal Light, MIO, etc.) in a recipe for fruit punch can fuck right the fuck off. Y’all belong in hell being forced to listen to a non-stop loop of Barbie Girl, Cotton-eye Joe, All-Star, Mmmbop and Achy-breaky Heart all played at once with the pitch tweaked so it sounds like the Chipmunks are singing it.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Dude, I'm just here for the pancake recipe. Please stop telling me your life story as a prelude. nobody cares
But...how ever will you manage to capture my pancakes' soul-shattering depth of flavor if you don't know how I was driven to create the recipe after being humiliated in a children's cook-off when I was ten?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
But...how ever will you manage to capture my pancakes' soul-shattering depth of flavor if you don't know how I was driven to create the recipe after being humiliated in a children's cook-off when I was ten?
Insert sad uplifting inspirational theme while narrating

Sunstone is the best comic you can read about an S&M relationship. Doubly so with a lesbian relationship. You can learn more about S&M from there than anything from the Fifty Shades of Gray trilogy. You filthy piece of Twilight fanfiction. Why do people get invested in that series again?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
If the recipe doesn’t jump right into how to cook the damn dish I won’t even bother with it. I will hit the back button and find a different link.

And on a related note, anyone that includes any water flavoring or drink mixes (Kool-Aid, Crystal Light, MIO, etc.) in a recipe for fruit punch can fuck right the fuck off. Y’all belong in hell being forced to listen to a non-stop loop of Barbie Girl, Cotton-eye Joe, All-Star, Mmmbop and Achy-breaky Heart all played at once with the pitch tweaked so it sounds like the Chipmunks are singing it.

Who hurt you?

/s

Last edited: