Movie, TV, Web Series, and Music Hot Take(s).

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I've watched the first 4 episodes of the new Resident Evil TV show, and you know what? I actually quite like it.

At the end of the day, I have seen worse TV shows, run for multiple seasons. This really isn't that bad - and is miles better than the recent Halo TV show, which was confirmed for a season 2 before season 1 even started.

Reactions: Hawki

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I've watched the first 4 episodes of the new Resident Evil TV show, and you know what? I actually quite like it.

At the end of the day, I have seen worse TV shows, run for multiple seasons. This really isn't that bad - and is miles better than the recent Halo TV show, which was confirmed for a season 2 before season 1 even started.
Hey, I'm watching it too!

Yeah, the review I do in the non-movies thread will be...interesting...

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
As far as I am concerned, both the Halo TV Show and RE Netflix suck equally. I was not surprised in the slightest, RE Netflix got cancelled so quickly. If Capcom and Netflix don't care, then why should I? I got better time watching anything else.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
A couple random ones

-The most unrealistic thing about Guardians of the Galaxy is the idea that Peter's Cassette Mixtape survived 30 years of him constantly playing it over and over. Also his tape deck surviving the massive crash of the spaceship around it and still working like a charm.

-Real Mermaids would look like Dr. Zoidberg. Source.

Now shut the fuck up about Mermaid skin tones so we can go back to arguing about Forest Hippie Tom Bombadil being left out of the Peter Jackson films like legit nerds.

-Disney's Hunchback Film doesn't know who it's target audience is. That's why you have bits with talking gargoyles and the villian singing a song about how fucking horny he is for the female lead in terms that anyone above the age of 13 will see right through.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Disney's Hunchback Film doesn't know who it's target audience is. That's why you have bits with talking gargoyles and the villian singing a song about how fucking horny he is for the female lead in terms that anyone above the age of 13 will see right through
If I remember correctly even the director didn't care much for the gargoyles and they were a studio mandate. I still love the movie and it's one of my favorite Disney movies from the '90s. I would still take it over the original Little Mermaid or Beauty And The Beast. More so the former. It's like having a pine cone shoved up my butt. The only thing I like about the little mermaid is Sebastian and Flounder. The main villain too I guess. For extra irony, the guy who voiced Prince Eric went on to voice Spider-Man for the 90s animated series.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
If I remember correctly even the director didn't care much for the gargoyles and they were a studio mandate. I still love the movie and it's one of my favorite Disney movies from the '90s. I would still take it over the original Little Mermaid or Beauty And The Beast. More so the former. It's like having a pine cone shoved up my butt. The only thing I like about the little mermaid is Sebastian and Flounder. The main villain too I guess. For extra irony, the guy who voiced Prince Eric went on to voice Spider-Man for the 90s animated series.
The executive meddling gargoyle thing explains so much honestly. I've seen it argued you can very neatly excise the gargoyles from the film and not notice they aren't there aside from the film being a bit darker.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
The executive meddling gargoyle thing explains so much honestly. I've seen it argued you can very neatly excise the gargoyles from the film and not notice they aren't there aside from the film being a bit darker.
See I kind of like the gargoyles conceptually but think it would have been way better if they’d looked like Goliath and Demona et al from the Gargoyles tv show and less silly sounding OR there was a better effort to make their presence in film seem more like a figment of Quasimodo’s imagination as a coping mechanism for his isolation which logically would have them stop appearing after he decides to fight for Esmeralda at the end.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Red Dawn was a stupid movie in the 1980s. It really has not aged well in the last 6 months.

I mean, how am I supposed to take "Russians invade and occupy half the US overnight" remotely seriously when the Russian military is getting it's shit kicked in hard in Ukraine, which is literally RIGHT NEXT DOOR?

If I really felt like it I could point out all the reasons Red Dawn is fucking dumb but for now I'll leave it at the fact the entire movie exists in a Universe where the Soviets are good at everything and/or the West just fucking sucks to make the American teens the poor underdogs who help win the war all by their lonesomes. Ironically you could have made much the same movie by setting it in Germany or France during the same period and thus making it a lot more plausible to some extent and avoid the need for all the hand waving.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Adding to the things not aging well list: Bebe's Kids. That movie is not good. There are parts that I like, but you could not get me sit down and watch the entire movie, if you tried. I care more for the Itsy-Bitsy Spider short than the movie. The short managed to have a TV show...that only lasted one season, but still better than Bebe's Kids.

An inversion to this is The Purge movies. Other than the first movie, the rest age better and better each day.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Red Dawn was a stupid movie in the 1980s. It really has not aged well in the last 6 months.

I mean, how am I supposed to take "Russians invade and occupy half the US overnight" remotely seriously when the Russian military is getting it's shit kicked in hard in Ukraine, which is literally RIGHT NEXT DOOR?

If I really felt like it I could point out all the reasons Red Dawn is fucking dumb but for now I'll leave it at the fact the entire movie exists in a Universe where the Soviets are good at everything and/or the West just fucking sucks to make the American teens the poor underdogs who help win the war all by their lonesomes. Ironically you could have made much the same movie by setting it in Germany or France during the same period and thus making it a lot more plausible to some extent and avoid the need for all the hand waving.
In defense of 80's Red Dawn, they were dealing with 80's Russia (before the Soviet Union collapsed) along with Cuban forces. And the rest of the world had gotten pretty fucked up. I think NATO fell apart due to revolutions and civil wars. Also, nukes had been used. I don't remember if they flat out stated it but there was a bit of dialogue that makes it clear.

The US pilot guy was talking to the Wolverines and tells them the only ones on their side are "Six hundred million screaming Chinamen". A kid says "Last I heard there were a billion screaming Chinamen" .
Pilot guy responds with "There were."

And the kids weren't exactly fighting at the front lines.

Not that it makes the movie any better or less propaganda/Yay America schlock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
In defense of 80's Red Dawn, they were dealing with 80's Russia (before the Soviet Union collapsed) along with Cuban forces. And the rest of the world had gotten pretty fucked up. I think NATO fell apart due to revolutions and civil wars. Also, nukes had been used. I don't remember if they flat out stated it but there was a bit of dialogue that makes it clear.

The US pilot guy was talking to the Wolverines and tells them the only ones on their side are "Six hundred million screaming Chinamen". A kid says "Last I heard there were a billion screaming Chinamen" .
Pilot guy responds with "There were."

And the kids weren't exactly fighting at the front lines.

Not that it makes the movie any better or less propaganda/Yay America schlock
I know, but the idea of nukes getting tossed around annoys me even more because then it begs the question of why the USSR gets to throw Nukes around and none of the other 3 Nuclear Powers they were fighting(UK, PRC and USA) apparently didn't respond in kind. There's just some handwaving of "They took out our Silos in the Dakotas" as if that's supposed to explain it and...that's it? The USSR took out everyone's nukes at the same time without the ability to counterstrike? Did they use their Metal Gears or something to avoid a launch detection? The dozen or so US Navy Boomers on patrol all got taken out as well? SAC, noted to be airborne at all times during the Cold War, all got shot down?

Especially since apparently NOBODY saw this coming, since the school day was coming to an end and the news isn't blaring out alarms about a Soviet invasion incoming. The Soviets are apparently capable of a full scale assault on the American Heartland without so much as one early warning signal to anyone...because I don't fucking know......More Soviet Metal Gears or some shit?

Notice I'm not even touching on Chinese or British Nukes here, which apparently all got taken out by the USSR Yuri clones or something. Or the fact the Soviets are occupying half of the US actually doesn't help them much because there are presumably no Americans occupying the USSR in return, so any US nukes fired at Russian cities or ports(which they NEED for their incredibly stretched logistical lines as it is) have no danger of friendly fire, but a return strike on the US(half occupied) risks hurting the occupying Russian troops.

Also, I'm amused that the movie just throws in "El Salvador and Mexico and Cuba" as USSR allies being part of the invasion despite said nations having significantly less ability to launch an invasion of the US then the USSR did. ALso some hand waving of the Russians sneaking in on Civilian Airliners. I know it's a reference to Warsaw Pact invading Czechoslovakia in 1968. It's still dumb because it kinda of ignores what happened in 1968 that Czechoslovakia was already a communist state surrounded by other communist states loyal to the USSR, not the US sitting on the other side of two oceans with a nuclear arsenal and a ridiculous cold war military build up. Even without NATO, the US still shouldn't have been that easy to just up and invade as the movie seems to imply. The logistics burden on the USSR alone would have been a fucking nightmare(lets not pretend the Communist fan club in Central America in the film is really going to change this much. The USSR is the heavy lift here).

Actually thinking about it the only way Red Dawn is remotely plausible is that it takes place in the Metal Gear universe and the Soviets are the only ones who have them. And now having said that I think Red Dawn could have benefited a lot from Metal Gears in the official lore.

Last edited:

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
I know, but the idea of nukes getting tossed around annoys me even more because then it begs the question of why the USSR gets to throw Nukes around and none of the other 3 Nuclear Powers they were fighting(UK, PRC and USA) apparently didn't respond in kind.
Dude, you gotta do France dirty like that?

Anyway, now do Iron Eagle.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I've been enjoying more of Trevor Noah on the Daily Show lately, his segments on the queen's death were hilarious.

But like his whole tenure so far, the non-scripted, "between the scenes" clips that are posted on the YouTube channel are far more interesting and funny than anything on the actual show. Which makes you think that a) he is significantly funnier than any of his writers and b) he really should probably shift to a format that allows for more self expression.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I've been enjoying more of Trevor Noah on the Daily Show lately, his segments on the queen's death were hilarious.

But like his whole tenure so far, the non-scripted, "between the scenes" clips that are posted on the YouTube channel are far more interesting and funny than anything on the actual show. Which makes you think that a) he is significantly funnier than any of his writers and b) he really should probably shift to a format that allows for more self expression.
It's pretty much why I stopped watching Daily Show. Trevor Noah is a cool guy, but the scripted are between sometime funny to mostly meh. Whenever he gets serious, Noah is all the better for it. I tried, but it was not working for me. I will sometimes watch clips on YouTube every now and then for when he gets serious and more self expressive, but it has been a long time.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
It's pretty much why I stopped watching Daily Show. Trevor Noah is a cool guy, but the scripted are between sometime funny to mostly meh. Whenever he gets serious, Noah is all the better for it. I tried, but it was not working for me. I will sometimes watch clips on YouTube every now and then for when he gets serious and more self expressive, but it has been a long time.
His stand ups are amazing honestly, which is also why I kinda wish he didn't get the Daily Show gig. Took him away from doing more stand up shows.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
His stand ups are amazing honestly, which is also why I kinda wish he didn't get the Daily Show gig. Took him away from doing more stand up shows.
I don't blame him, but I guess he wanted a more consistent paycheck. A combination of that, and trying to expose himself more if it makes him happy, then I don't have a problem.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I just want to point out Darth Vader warned us about sand in Star Wars shows.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
I’ll preface this by saying I’m not a huge MCU fan (don’t hate it, just don’t like it all that much), but it should have been rebooted or reset somehow following Endgame so that stakes could be lowered and other franchises/characters (X-Men, Deadpool, Blade, etc.) could be folded in without trying to explain why they weren’t mentioned at all in the earlier movies.