Funny events in anti-woke world

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
I mean, you're attracted to who you're attracted to, I'm just wondering why you want to pressure other people to act in a cisnormative way? Like, what's the upside?
It's a good guideline in a world where gender matters a lot. Like, non-passing transpeople get shit on pretty hard, so the assumption that they don't want to look like a weirdo seems beneficial. Moreover in general the normativity just sort of happens regardless. I'm biased, because relaxing these norms seems harder for me than the average person (= internet nametag) and leaves me pretty bemused sometimes. But that's a topic that would take a while to unravel (and another place, tbh).

And if you're referring to my cousin I know the type he really likes. He's just a loser who settled. Yes yes yes, personality matters too. She's... an individual on that front also.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
It's a good guideline in a world where gender matters a lot. Like, non-passing transpeople get shit on pretty hard, so the assumption that they don't want to look like a weirdo seems beneficial.
...cisnormativity means that a non-passing trans person would be pressured into not being trans. Heteronormativity would mean that an out gay person would be pressured into not being gay.

Why are these good things?

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
The problem, which you are conveniently ignoring, is that I am the one arguing that the aspects of gender are socially learned, and everyone else is arguing in favor of innate differences.
You're arguing that children's gender identity must be forced to align with the innate differences which you ascribe to sex. Dress that up however you want, but it is what it is.

John Money did.
Okay, what was his definition of it?

Fun fact: Y chromosomes do more than let you pee standing up and sexually penetrate people.
Y chromosomes also don't determine your sex. People with Y chromosomes are assigned female at birth all the time. Many more people with Y chromsomes are classified as intersexed. If you seriously believe that sex is determined by something as trivial and irrelevant as the possession of a Y chromsome, then I don't know what to tell you. At least Money's weird genital obsession made sense..

John Money specialized in treating intersexed people, and his preferred treatment was to surgically alter them to conform to one sex or the other based on whichever they most closely resembled. That practice continues to this day because people continue to insist on believing that every human being must fit into one of two sexed identities by possessing the appropriate, matching body. The only reason any conservative ever brings up David Raimer isn't because he had a Y chromosome, it's because unlike the other people Money and his successors have "fixed" he was born with typical male genitals.

In a society which was less fixated on genitals, and on maintaining a rigid concept of binary sex based on genitals, Raimer could have been allowed to grow up as an intersexed person until he was able enough to decide who he was (whether that be a man, woman or something else) what he wanted to be and whether surgery would help him. He could have been spared the atrocious imposition of identity by people whose myopic view of womanhood required having a vagina you could get fucked in.

But we can't have that, can we? Children being allowed to live outside of a rigid binary concept of sex? Not in my Christian medical establishment! Obviously, the problem is that we used the wrong definition of sex. We should have just gone by the chromosomes. That would surely have fixed everything. Chromosomes never lie.

I'm not defending any kind of "reparative therapy".
You argue that 80% of trans children will simply stop having gender dysphoria if met with pressure to desist. To prove this, you cite a study performed by a clinic that practiced reparative therapy (and that was intended to prove the effectiveness of reparative therapy in treating gender dysphoria). You went on to defend the people involved, and then to defend the practices of that clinic (reparative therapy) by trying to present them as similar to normal parenting.

Many pages later, you still have not walked back on any of this, nor apologized to any of the users of this forum, including those of us who have actually been in that position or who have experienced forms of childhood harm or victimization similar to those you regard as acceptable.

Like you, I do this because it is fun. It's a weird and deeply selfish kind of fun, but I've learned to be gentle with myself when it comes to sources of dopamine. However, I don't want you to assume that because this is fun or because I'm continuing to engage with it I'm not completely disgusted. Part of the fun, at this point, is watching just how badly you can screw up the simple task of empathizing with a vulnerable child.

Society is moving from "there's no way you people can ever fit in" to "well, maybe you can fit in if you cut your penis off".
I'm sorry, what?

Doctors have been cutting the penises off of literal babies for decades because parents ask them to, because they didn't look or behave enough like penises to "count." None of you cared until this exact moment when trans people are beginning to find societal acceptance and, ironically, when there is less pressure than ever on trans people to have surgery in order to be accepted,

Those are types of people that physically depend on your genitals to become.
Let me tell you a story.

Sometime in the mid 80s, some random 15 year old boy had unprotected sex with a 13 year old girl, and nine months later that same girl, now 14, pushed a malnourished baby (me) out of her uterus. Congratulations, you now know about as much about these two people as I do.

My mother and father, I mean my actual mother and father, don't have that status because of their genitals, they have it because they raised me and cared for me to the best of their ability (and because they're legally recorded as my parents on my adoption certificate).

A sizeable minority of population can theoretically produce a child with anyone from another sizeable minority of the population in numerous ways that may or may not involve contact between their genitals. It's not a rare or special ability. Even some of those children you don't think are capable of deciding whether they want to be male or female can probably manage it. The ability to physically produce offspring is not the same thing as being a mother or father. It's an uncaring, involuntary biological mechanism. It has absolutely no regard for the social structure built up around it or the importance some people place on it.

But to address this a little more directly. Humans do indeed reproduce sexually, which means combining partial genetic material from two cells (gametes or "sex cells") to produce a new, genetically distinct organism. And yes, the vast majority of people will only produce one of these types of cells during their lifetime. Neither of these phenomena are externally visible and the cells involved are microscopic. The thing you are referring to as "sex" is the societal practice of labeling people as "men" or "women" based on the exterior appearance of their genitals. It is nothing more than that. There is no essential relationship to reproduction whatsoever.

Sure, there is a lot of secondary baggage that goes along with the social conception of sex, but it is not purely that secondary baggage, there is a physical reality to it.
There is a physical reality to gender as well. Clothes are physical objects worn on a physical body. Toys are physical objects played with by physical children.

Again, think of the meter. Any physical object in the universe can be measured in meters, but meters themselves are not physical objects.

Last edited:

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Rather than going directly for the smear, can you just address the substance of what I said?

It is not required that one believe gender is "innate" for one to acknowledge identification with gender separate from physical sex. Addressing the substance of that point has nothing to do with dolls or even puberty.
It wasn't a smear, it was your position and Terminal's.

It's not a matter of what's required. You can have a wide variety of stances, sure. But someone who thinks gender is neither innate nor tied to sex is going to advocate for sex changes as a medical treatment. You very clearly have an opinion, your conclusions show what it is, saying "but someone could have a different opinion" doesn't give anything to address.
Hijra are a legally recognised third gender.
A third gender isn't sex change.
A Roman emperor insisted he be referred to as a lady, and even sought surgery.
And yet is still called "emperor".
There are centuries-old poetic and prose accounts of people wishing they had the body of the opposite sex, because they felt like that's what they truly were.
It is entirely reasonable for a person to wish to be something they aren't. I'm not going to pretend I sympathize with the person who has a sex change because they want to be the opposite sex, but it is at least comprehensible. Wanting to be something else is not a logical contradiction. Believing you already are the thing that you are trying to become because you physically aren't is a logical contradiction.
No-- they /can/ block it down to "castrate levels". They do not need to.

You know how steroids can be used for muscular/weight gain and can also be used to treat inflammation, as well as the same drugs being used for a dozen other ailments from minor to severe, right? It's about dosage and application.
The dosage of Zoladex when treating prostate cancer is 3.6 mg a month, or 10.8mg every 3 months.
The dosage when doing chemical castration with Zoladex is 3.6 mg a month, or 10.8 mg every 3 months.
The dosage of Zoladex for blocking puberty does not actually have a standard yet, but the trials run with it have been at 3.6 mg a month or 10.8 mg every 3 months.

Triptoreline for treating prostate cancer in adult men is 22.5 mg every 24 weeks.
Triptoreline to prevent puberty in youth is 22.5 mg every 24 weeks.

I could continue through the list. You are incorrect. They are literally identical treatments.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
You're arguing that children's gender identity must be forced to align with the innate differences which you ascribe to sex.
How do you get from "no gender identity" to "forced to align with innate differences"?
Okay, what was his definition of it?
"all those things that a person says or does to disclose himself or herself as having the status of boy or man, girl or woman."
People with Y chromosomes are assigned female at birth all the time.
A genuinely infrequent amount of the time doctors make mistakes, is what you mean to say.
You argue that 80% of trans children will simply stop having gender dysphoria if met with pressure to desist.
Noooo, nonono. Not at all what I said.

Rather, the majority of trans children will simply stop having gender dysphoria simply by experiencing puberty. It doesn't require pressure to desist, it just requires not having doctors insist they have a condition and/or drug them.
nor apologized to any of the users of this forum, including those of us who have actually been in that position or who have experienced forms of childhood harm or victimization similar to those you regard as acceptable.
No, I'm not going to apologize for the words you pretend I say. That's stupid.
I'm sorry, what?

Doctors have been cutting the penises off of literal babies for decades because parents ask them to, because they didn't look or behave enough like penises to "count."
That's a bad thing. It's always been a bad thing. People do bad things to babies. Don't use their evil to rationalize yourself.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
How do you get from "no gender identity" to "forced to align with innate differences"?
You pointed the way yourself.
Rather, the majority of trans children will simply stop having gender dysphoria simply by experiencing puberty. It doesn't require pressure to desist, it just requires not having doctors insist they have a condition and/or drug them.
And if you don't understand why, well, you're not describing how doctors actually behave toward trans patients. Garbage goes in brain, garbage comes out mouth.

Reactions: Thaluikhain

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
A Roman emperor insisted he be referred to as a lady, and even sought surgery.
Now i would be really carefull with this one. In the history of usually violent successions of Roman Emporers it was extremely common to slander them to justify deposing them. And reports about sexual deviancy (and rape and incest and infidelity and homosexuality) as well as reports about not conforming to the ideal of a strong male Roman were useful tools for that.
The Romans were not really that tolerant. Reports of people doing supposedly indicent or outrageous behavior in the open are meant to illustrate abuse of power and lack of moral character. Not to show that this is normal or accepted.
And yet is still called "emperor".
And that is not particularly important either. We do have enough women called emporer or rather imperator occasionally in their time. At least when going by coinage. People struggled with the female emporer title a bit. E.g. for empress Theophanu you can find "imperator", even if "coimperatrix augusta" seems more common in writing and is certainly more precise. And the number of "kings" that were undisputably women is quite impressive in history. For some people "queen regnant" was not different enough from "queen" which generally meant "queen consort" and implied not only "woman" but also "foreigner, not related to the royal family, not in the line of inheritance".

Last edited:

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Most things that bring birthrate down are good things (contraceptives, education, freedom, career opportunity). The zeitgeist has unfortunately become more 'childfree' recently, and it even hurts women that want more kids, because their best years are spent doing other things that they're pretty much expected to these days. The only way to keep paying for all of the good is immigration. Integrating them into our secular and socially liberal society is difficult.

Anyway, giving neuropsychiatric coaching to kids on the spectrum improves their quality of life because they fit in much better. Nowadays we even have a new condition joining autism, ADHD and Tourette's: alexithymia. People will eventually figure out neuropsychiatric coaching/therapy for alexithymia and there will be people opposed to it just like some "autistic identity" types do now. When that is done, and the kids going through it are still in the identities, correcting their feelings on the matter becomes conversion therapy and not helpful, demonstrably bad even. So there is practical and quality of life. I'll even say injustice is done if we leave neuropsychiatry uncontrolled and transition a bunch of false positives, first reversibly and then full on, because all things considered they'd still be better off being in their own functional bodies (y'know, cis or some neogender that doesn't require treatment). This isn't reality just yet, but when it is, cisnormativity can relax.
You seem to just now be fully conflating sexualities/gender identities with neurodevelopmental disorders. This entire passage is a confused mess that swings wildly from one to the other, and doesn't provide a single compelling reason to enforce restrictive cis- or heteronormativity on people.

Kinda pathetic, but I don't have the balls to do something like my cousin, who dated and moved in with an ugly cleaning woman 16 years his elder. Makes me sick. uh, sorry for rambling
Sounds to me like you just need to be less bloody judgemental.

Now i would be really carefull with this one. In the history of usually violent successions of Roman Emporers it was extremely common to slander them to justify deposing them. And reports about sexual deviancy (and rape and incest and infidelity and homosexuality) as well as reports about not conforming to the ideal of a strong male Roman were useful tools for that.
The Romans were not really that tolerant. Reports of people doing supposedly indicent or outrageous behavior in the open are meant to illustrate abuse of power and lack of moral character. Not to show that this is normal or accepted.
OK, but my point was entirely unrelated to whether or not Roman society was accepting/tolerant.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
It wasn't a smear, it was your position and Terminal's.
No, it wasn't. "That man is a woman" is a gross and misrepresentative twisting of my position. Engage with what was actually written.

It's not a matter of what's required. You can have a wide variety of stances, sure. But someone who thinks gender is neither innate nor tied to sex is going to advocate for sex changes as a medical treatment. You very clearly have an opinion, your conclusions show what it is, saying "but someone could have a different opinion" doesn't give anything to address.
You're the one who is ascribing stances on whether or not gender is "innate" to your opponents, here. Not me. You're the one who's tied opinions on the validity of GRS to it. Not me. Its entirely worthwhile to point out that the premise you're using for your argument here is bunk.

A third gender isn't sex change.
Indeed, which is why I didn't say it was.

It does, however, show how gender was considered a separate characteristic from sex.

It is entirely reasonable for a person to wish to be something they aren't. I'm not going to pretend I sympathize with the person who has a sex change because they want to be the opposite sex, but it is at least comprehensible. Wanting to be something else is not a logical contradiction. Believing you already are the thing that you are trying to become because you physically aren't is a logical contradiction.
It's a "logical contradiction" only if you equate sex and gender.

Which I don't, and nor do 1) the community in question; 2) the psychiatric community; 3) society at large; 4) cultures throughout history, for many centuries.

Trans people do not believe they are already the opposite PHYSICAL SEX. And that's what many attempt to change.

The dosage of Zoladex when treating prostate cancer is 3.6 mg a month, or 10.8mg every 3 months.
The dosage when doing chemical castration with Zoladex is 3.6 mg a month, or 10.8 mg every 3 months.
The dosage of Zoladex for blocking puberty does not actually have a standard yet, but the trials run with it have been at 3.6 mg a month or 10.8 mg every 3 months.

Triptoreline for treating prostate cancer in adult men is 22.5 mg every 24 weeks.
Triptoreline to prevent puberty in youth is 22.5 mg every 24 weeks.

I could continue through the list. You are incorrect. They are literally identical treatments.
...quick question: when you use the term "castration" above, are you actually just referring to something fully reversible?

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
OK, but my point was entirely unrelated to whether or not Roman society was accepting/tolerant.
I know.
But i don't really want to take part in that discussion. It has been done to death and no one listens anyway. Sidetracks are more fun.

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
*sad trombone noise*

*bewildered trombone noise*

On the upside, the amount of content the Beatles have put out should surely keep these idiots busy and distracted for a whiles longer.

Oh aye, there's a Snopes article out for that last one already!

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
*sad trombone noise*

On the upside, the amount of content the Beatles have put out should surely keep these idiots busy and distracted for a whiles longer.

Oh dear, just imagine when they find out about Paul. So many walls speckled in saw dust.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
*sad trombone noise*

I'm starting to think Foucault's Pendulum is prophecy now. For those of you who haven't read it, it's a book where a couple of friends begin making up a far reaching conspiracy theory as an intellectual exercise and partially as a joke, only for the real conspiracy nuts to get wind of it and get very, very upset that these new guys seem to know so much about the TRUTH. Hijinks Ensue.

It's written by Umberto Eco, who does a TON of research and applies it to his books(Compared to say "Dan Brown", who just cribs theories from someone else and then makes up shit to go with it), so it's actually a pretty good read as long as you're prepared for the fact that it is dense with information about history/occultism/etc. One particular bit had where one of the main characters pointed out that the drive train of a car was a dead ringer for the Sephirot, where the Kabbalist member of the group starts getting a bit concerned this might all be going a bit too far.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Yay, violent crazies in my neck of the woods.