Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Awater: The Way of Vatar (2022)

Sequel to 2009's Avatar, a production notable for being the highest grossing movie of all time (not adjusted for inflation) and not very much else. You know, thinking back of the original Avatar I think I remember kinda liking it back in 2009. I have never bothered to watch it again, though.

The Way of Water sees protagonist Jake Sully, having turned his back on humanity to live and fight side by side with the natives of planet Pandora, and his wife Neytiri, as the parents of four children, two boys and two girls. When Earth's military, led by a clone of Colonel Quaritch in an Avatar body, returns to take revenge for their lost battle in the first movie, Sully and his family flee their home to take refuge with a coastal tribe of Na'vi, having to learn their ways and traditions before inevitably facing off with humanities colonial forces again.

There's a bit more going on than that, but then again, not very much. James Cameron is clearly very invested in Avatar as a series, having talked about his plans of making up to five more movies, but if he sees some great potential to build on the groundwork laid by the first one, Way of Water doesn't make much of a case for it.

If there is anything I kinda admire about the Avatar movies, and if there is anything that sets them apart from other current blockbuster productions, it's the fact that their core philosophy is that of protecting and preserving an utopian society. The fact that there was a somewhat documented niche phenomenon where some viewers felt a feeling of homesickness for the movies setting of Pandora speaks to that. It's not concerned with preserving the integrity of current society with all its shortcomings, but about protecting a beautiful world with beautiful and kind people against the very forces corrupted the one we live in.

What I just can't relate to is how James Cameron envisions that utopian world as an idealized, pre industrial, pre agricultural, hunter gatherer society. It just feels overly idealistic to me to imagine a civilisation like that as being in a state of perfect symbiosis with nature, rather than at the mercy of it. For me, that just undermines the aspirational character he assigns to the Na'vi's lifestyle.

There's a lot of subtext, a lot of it probably not even intentional, to sink your teeth into in regards of what the morals and messages of the Avatar movies are. What they suggest about colonialism, whether they can justify the way they employ outdated narrative templates regarding noble savages and white saviours in a relatively unreflected way in what is pretty much an environmentalist variation on Edgar Rice Burroughs pulp adventures. It's hard to just take these movies as entertainment first action blockbusters with how overtly escapist and didactic they are.

Either way, just looking at Avatar 2 as an action blockbuster it has some good stuff, though it's pretty backloaded that way. The climax has Cameron serving up some of the strongest choreography in his entire career and honestly, it made me wish the earlier parts of the movie would have had some more of it. Needless to say, the movie in general looks very good, but also, perhaps not quite as good as you might hope.

We are more than a decade into the age of CGI dominated, quasi animated high budget action movies, and god knows we've come a long way since Attack of the Clones. And frankly, I can't, in good conscience, say that Way of Water's cinematography was any more impressive than that of Zack Snyder's Justice League, much less productions that forego live action elements altogether like Into the Spiderverse or Arcane.

You know, when I, as a movie nerd, write about video games, I sometimes feel like the guy who shows up to a football game with a hockey stick. I love video games, been playing them since I was a toddler, but I still catch myself talking about them from the perspective of a movie guy. That said, this is one of those moments where I feel vindicated, because I can confidently say that some of the most impressive feats of 3D animated cinematography haven't been in high budget action movies, but in the cutscene direction of veteran game directors like Hideo Kojima or Tetsuya Nomura. I think there is more in the way of rich imagery and dynamic direction in the announcement trailer of Death Stranding 2 than in the entirety of Way of Water. Games like Death Stranding 1 or Final Fantasy 7 Remake really show just how much directors who have never known anything other than 3D animation can make the medium sing.

I feel like it's partly a generational matter, I think seasoned live action directors like Cameron have internalized the constraints of live action cinema too much to fully embrace the possibilities of animation. There are slightly younger directors, The Wachowski Sisters, Zack Snyder, Edgar Wright, Gore Verbinski, even Michael Bay who have a better grasp on just what it is you can do with modern technology.

I digress. Avatar: Way of Water is... well, it's what it sounds like. It's more Avatar, and there is a lot of water in it. There have, surely, been people who've been eagerly awaiting an opportunity to return to and immerse themselves again in the world of Pandora. I take it, those will be happy with what they get. It has the beautiful environments, and the pretty tribal alien people and the vibrant flora and fauna, and the action packed anti colonial struggle. I feel like I might have had more fun with it if it had been about 30 minutes shorter, but aside from that, there's nothing particularly wrong with it as a movie. If Avatar is what you're into, it'll give you three more hours of it on effectively the same level of quality as its predecessor.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Glass Onion - (Netflix)
It's known this is sequel to Knives Out, but really the only link is Daniel Craig just having fun with his Texan accent for better and worse. This time around though, everyone else is having their share of the melodramatic poise. I did chuckle a few times, including one person's solution to a puzzle being almost a precise reflection of audiences logic of "but why didn't they try that then?" in other films involving intricate puzzles. Is an entertaining time, not requiring any knowledge of the previous film neither. Any criticisms I have are just personal nitpicks that are mostly not a factor towards the film's final quality.
Fell asleep to this last night about half hour in. Not because it was boring or bad, but because actually sleeping in on mini vacation especially this time of year has thus far proven to be an impossibility with an excited 4yr old. Maybe I’ll slam another V8 Energy tonight. And actually sit upright.

Last edited:
Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Glass Onion - (Netflix)
It's known this is sequel to Knives Out, but really the only link is Daniel Craig just having fun with his Texan accent for better and worse. This time around though, everyone else is having their share of the melodramatic poise. I did chuckle a few times, including one person's solution to a puzzle being almost a precise reflection of audiences logic of "but why didn't they try that then?" in other films involving intricate puzzles. Is an entertaining time, not requiring any knowledge of the previous film neither. Any criticisms I have are just personal nitpicks that are mostly not a factor towards the film's final quality.
Watched this last night on Netflix. I laughed a bit quite a few times. It was amusing and Daniel Craig was terrific. Ed Norton does his usual terrific work (time flys. I thought him one the best young actors of his generation. Not so young now!) I was pretty certain most of what was going on pretty early in but there were still some fun surprises. Not quite as satisfying an ending as Knives Out but if you stretch your sense of disbelief enough, should be fine.

I would call this a sequel to Knives Out though you don't have to have seen it. You don't have to have seem the 007 films to appreciate most of them (they started getting into a long continuing story mode during Craig's run. But you can watch virtually any of the earlier ones without having seen others).

The thing did remind me some of one of my favorite murder mystery movies, "The Last of Sheila". So if I think that fondly of a 50 year old movie, this may have legs yet.

B-

EDIT: Just checked out IGN and they have 9 movies like Glass Onion including
1671898620093.png

Last edited:

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
IMAX screening. 3 hours is too long, Weaver is too old to play a kid, the human machinery and contraptions lack weight most of the time... Yeah, it's not a perfect immersive experience.

I liked what I saw, sure, but I think the overall plot is pretty weak. Quaritch' mission feels very contrived and how they mix in the whalers is just ridiculous. Considering the whole situation humans are in it seems like a huge waste of resources both ways, but it's a Cameron thing so it must be there. Sully's kids are alright - Kiri as well, despite being an old soul - and so is the monkeyboy (the actor must've gone sore from all that jumping). And y'know all of the super symbiosis stuff just seems to inventively go on forever. I'm glad they did get a bit of a novel angle to Quaritch so his plot isn't completely dumb. The action packed more punch in the first movie, even though humans have more sophisticated droid exoskeletons and stuff now. 6/10

You literally have a whale who postponed having children because of her career. Funny and of course sad at the same time, because we get to know that as their bodies rot in the sun. The tulkun are hippie whales, right? The scene where they SIT DOWN is a good one.

In an earlier scene one of Jake's sons answers "Lima Charlie" when Jake asks if he understood.

The angel wings are just stupid.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Quaritch' mission feels very contrived and how they mix in the whalers is just ridiculous. Considering the whole situation humans are in it seems like a huge waste of resources both ways, but it's a Cameron thing so it must be there.
The amrita stuff is a plot point that I'm not sure as to whether it's a case of smart-stupid, or stupid-stupid writing. It can either go one of two ways:

-Smart-stupid: So, the RDA's mission is to colonize Pandora, but to pay for it, they have to extract a substance that prevents human ageing, presumably selling it to the super wealthy, to fund the colonization effort, that chances are, Earth's wealthiest are going to make to Pandora long before the average joes (or alternatively, live on Earth, immortal, while the planet dies around them). That's a pretty damning inditement on humanity/capitalism.

-Stupid-stupid: So, the RDA's mission is to colonize Pandora, but to pay for it, they have to extract a substance that prevents human ageing, presumably selling it to the super wealthy...James, did you think this through? What good is immortality if ecological collapse is going to kill you anyway?

Reactions: BrawlMan

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
The amrita stuff
Yeah. Iirc the unobtanium served some other purpose than life extension for multimillionaires so now it's about exploitation and nothing else. And the prey could fight back and repel the humans but they choose not to because harmony and pacifism that just naturally follows if you're smart enough. It seems to be about the message. Quaritch's revenge mission is petty in the grand scheme of things and it racks up a huge bill for the RDA. If I was Edie Falco I'd exile that bastard.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Yeah. Iirc the unobtanium served some other purpose than life extension for multimillionaires so now it's about exploitation and nothing else.
Unobtanium is, explained as briefly as possible, a superconductor integral to matter-anti-matter reactions. It's mentioned/implied that it's vital to powering Earth's powergrid (so, matter/anti-matter reactors) and is integral to the engines of ISVs.

It seems to be about the message.
Well, yes, the message is "whaling is bad, you bastards," which is about as trite a message as you can get. I mentioned in my review that an anti-whaling message is pretty antiquated now since the practice is mostly banned. But I'm on the fence as to whether the shift to amrita is "smart-stupid" or "stupid-stupid," per what I said above.

Quaritch's revenge mission is petty in the grand scheme of things and it racks up a huge bill for the RDA. If I was Edie Falco I'd exile that bastard.
Quaritch's reasons are petty (I don't think that's bad writing, it fits his character) but the actual mission has solid reasoning behind it. It would make sense for Jake to be a high value target given his leadership abilities, and inside-knowledge of how to counter human technology. So growing recoms, not to mention that they don't trigger the planet's 'immune system,' makes sense.

On the other hand, I've no idea how Quaritch is meant to explain things to Ardmoore. Over the course of the film, he's lost his entire unit (each recom presumably costs billions to grow, so do the math), lost an entire Sea Dragon, with all crew dead or as good as dead, and all he's got to show for it is Jake's confirmed location (I guess the RDA can't use drones or missiles because...reasons?) So, yeah, I have no idea how Quaritch can justify being kept on at this point.

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
Macbeth (2015), 9/10

It's Macbeth. Successful ambitious thane is visited by three witches who seem to promise him glory and power if he usurps the king. Said thane usurps the king, and ends up going mad with power and paranoia. Back in 2015 this made the prospect of the director, Justin Kurzel, directing the Assassin's Creed movie in collaboration with the star of this movie (Michael Fassbender) seem super promising. The Assassin's Creed movie proves how that went, but I still love this movie. It's got incredible visuals, acting and heaps of otherworldly, grim atmosphere. At the same time I acknowledge that this is very much an acquired taste. The dialogue is literally taken from the original source verbatim, which I suppose sounds ridiculous to native english speakers in how seriously it's all presented. But to me it lends the movie this otherworldly, almost mythical feel that definitely elevates the otherwise very grounded and grimy film. It's a very heavy and rather one-note film though, which I suppose kind of comes with the source material. It lays its cards on the table literally from the first frame, which is of a dead child about to be burned on a funeral pyre. The visuals are highly stylized, which again reinforces the mythical feeling of the film. It manages to convey a lot with a little, and everything feels it's given its proper weight and scale despite this movie having been made on a rather small budget.

The biggest gripe I can throw at the movie is that it is rather slow. Again, based verbatim on a Shakespeare play, but there are lots of scenes of people just talking and they're usually not even shot in an interesting way. To me this allows me to just sink into the atmosphere, but I can perfectly understand it just being boring for others. I think this is one of Fassbender's last truly great movies, since after 2015 he's been in nothing but dogshit one after the other, and hasn't been in anything since 2019. Man, what happened with this guy? In the early 2010s he was Hollywood royalty. And now he's apparently doing formula racing?

Reactions: gorfias

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Watched Everything Everywhere All At Once, and it wasn't as captivating as I hoped it would be. Seeing as I loved Swiss Army Man and Everything was getting huge buzz, I was ready for this movie to similarly and profoundly charm the pants off of me, but it didn't. Maybe the combination of multiverse and generational trauma - two things in mainstream media I'm kinda fucking sick of - made it feel far less exciting. It wasn't bad, nothing about it really was. I really liked the rock scene and the buttplug kung-fu. Michelle Yeoh was fine, she always is. She's rarely truly outstanding, but always rock-fucking solid; she's the Jennifer Hale of Hollywood. Stephanie Hsu and Ke Huy Quan were great, and it was very nostalgic to see James Hong again. Don't know what the hell Jenny Slate was doing there though. But yeah, Swiss Army Man was better.

I also watched Strange World, the new Disney animated movie that apparently majorly flopped, which I guess is why it was on Disney+ as quickly as it was. Honestly, this movie wasn't as bad or boring to sit through as I feared. It's definitely no Lightyear which I had to turn off 20 minutes in due to how little I gave a shit. Engagement wise it sits slightly above Onward. The most enjoyment I got out of it though was the idea that Disney casting Dennis Quad in one of the roles - considering the reveal - was a sly reference to Innerspace. Also features the first openly gay, plot related character in a Disney animated movie, so... golf clap for you I guess Disney. Welcome to were other childrens media was 10 years ago. Still, it is a pretty major step. They try to kinda circumvent it by only having the love interest show up at the beginning and end of the movie, yet Ethan being interested in a boy is mentioned on multiple occasions at least. Also, some guy in this movie gets randomly eaten I think and it never gets addressed that this dude just fucking dies - he just gets replaced as a pilot by one of the main characters. And the giant turtle creature that all of humanity lives on living alone on a by comparison tiny ball of water is remarkably depressing for said turtle in a way I don't think the movie intended. Also, what the fuck is that thing even eating?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
My Policeman

A closeted bobby in the 1950s dates/marries a woman so he can carry on a verboten relationship with another closeted gay, a museum curator. This is framed in the present day by actors who appear much too young to have been in their 20s to 30s in the 1950s. In the present, the woman has moved in the curator (paralyzed after a stroke) into her home, to the dismay of her husband.

So the story is framed by the woman reading the diaries of the paralyzed man. You'd think this was to build suspense but there's nothing for her to learn in the present that she doesn't already know, nor is there anything in the flashbacks that the audience wouldn't immediately surmise from the get-go. We know who these people were and and we know where are they know. Where's the tension?

PS. Harry Styles is a charisma vacuum.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Top Gun Maverick

Wow. I stopped a few times because I had a hard time getting into this movie. Pretty pointless as a sequel and does the 'We have to tell you you are too old for this shit' officer who immediately leaves and has no further part in the story. Could have cut the first 20 mins out entirely and it wouldn't have effected the story. It feels like this is the trend for reboots and I dont like it. Also, wasted time with a love story that is just there for the identity politics points

They told Maverick that, 'You belong here' so many times I felt like I was watching Star Trek Discovery. I don't know if old Maverick would have even needed that being told to him. And I dont like it in STD either

This mission was meant to be SUPER dangerous... but no one died with two weeks of training. I knew there was going to be no one dying because they tried to force this down my throat constantly. You don't get to tell me how dangerous sometime is and I believe it, writers. There was no sense of dread, especially when Maverick mastered the course on his first try, just to show off

Lastly, this is meant to be about training the new kids, right? But Maverick is the only genius, so of course he takes over for the incompetent young 'uns. Because they are that incompetent... even though they all make the trench run easily. What even is this movie? Cars 3 did the passing of the torch troupe better. Talk about believing in them, that THEY can do it, instead of pissing in their cups all the time and taking over. This was a Maverick problem, not the other characters

When you hear about the pilots in Ukraine constantly flying under 100 meters, it makes this mission seem so tame. They lost 70 pilots on boths sides. That's dangerous. This one mission is not

Look, I'm complaining too much. Ill cut myself off. It is a compentently made movie. I do like how most people were explain their emotions and Tom Cruise is emotionally stunted, but he emotions are carried in his expression. Always funny. So is giving them crappy birds even if it's just to raise stakes. So funny. So is doing a war crime and definitely not asking any questions on whether the intelligence is made up. So 2002

6/10

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Violent Night 2022

"Solid". This comes from the producers of John Wick and Nobody and that's essentially what you're getting. What I found kinda charming is that they chose to both me transparent about him being Santa (its very upfront, no mystery box) and playing it literally as a Christmas movie. By that I mean thematically it both references and calls back to Home Alone, A Christmas Story, complete with that kinda "Christmas spirit". I expected a lot of subversion and cynicism, but it's quite literally the Santa is losing hope, but adorable kid re-energizes him to save Christmas. It's funny and super violent, but at it's core it's a very by the numbers Christmas movie. It's Strange that at a time when that genre is so tired this one managed to give me a tingle. Additionally I expected a twist, but instead the characters are who they are. Other than the murderous villains moist of the cast is empathetic.

I think being completely the level it's probably a 6/10, but David Harbour is great the kids great. It definitely cheered me up. I find it eminently easy to recommend for that last bit of holiday movie watching after the kids go to sleep. That being the case for the next week I give it 8/10. After the new years as we all sink back into our cynical routine it'll be back to a 6/10.

On a weird sidenote its written by the Sonic the hedgehog guys. Literally outside of STH they are only known for a horror christmas miniseries. My guess is they're staff writers and they've been trying to pitch this and were given a shot on the back of the Sonic Movies being a success. Good for them.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Top Gun Maverick

Wow. I stopped a few times because I had a hard time getting into this movie. Pretty pointless as a sequel and does the 'We have to tell you you are too old for this shit' officer who immediately leaves and has no further part in the story. Could have cut the first 20 mins out entirely and it wouldn't have effected the story. It feels like this is the trend for reboots and I dont like it. Also, wasted time with a love story that is just there for the identity politics points

They told Maverick that, 'You belong here' so many times I felt like I was watching Star Trek Discovery. I don't know if old Maverick would have even needed that being told to him. And I dont like it in STD either

This mission was meant to be SUPER dangerous... but no one died with two weeks of training. I knew there was going to be no one dying because they tried to force this down my throat constantly. You don't get to tell me how dangerous sometime is and I believe it, writers. There was no sense of dread, especially when Maverick mastered the course on his first try, just to show off

Lastly, this is meant to be about training the new kids, right? But Maverick is the only genius, so of course he takes over for the incompetent young 'uns. Because they are that incompetent... even though they all make the trench run easily. What even is this movie? Cars 3 did the passing of the torch troupe better. Talk about believing in them, that THEY can do it, instead of pissing in their cups all the time and taking over. This was a Maverick problem, not the other characters

When you hear about the pilots in Ukraine constantly flying under 100 meters, it makes this mission seem so tame. They lost 70 pilots on boths sides. That's dangerous. This one mission is not

Look, I'm complaining too much. Ill cut myself off. It is a compentently made movie. I do like how most people were explain their emotions and Tom Cruise is emotionally stunted, but he emotions are carried in his expression. Always funny. So is giving them crappy birds even if it's just to raise stakes. So funny. So is doing a war crime and definitely not asking any questions on whether the intelligence is made up. So 2002

6/10
Loved this movie. 10/10.

But.... it is Star Wars.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Guillermo Del Toro's Pinocchio:

10/10 - I fucking love stop motion, and I did not expect it to be about fascism.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I watched Glass Onion and I kinda fucking hated it. I'd almost say it's worse than Don't Look Up when it comes to wearing one's politics on its sleave. Not that there's inherently anything wrong with that, but you need to have a deft hand when crafting a story so that it doesn't come across as patronizing and rather petty. Rian Johnson doesn't seem to have this talent. There were flashes of this kind of obnoxious characterization in Knives Out, but in Glass Onion it's front and centre. Everyone in this movie is unlikeable in a manner that doesn't leave the audience much of any room to get to know the characters beyond their unlikeability or to try and engage with them. And maybe this is just me, but the movie trying to establish being in touch with the current social media landscape made me want to run screaming for the hills. But then even it addressing the pandemic really fucking irked me for some reason. I think it's Rian Johnson's creative voice that I just can't really stand all that well, eventhough generally I agree with what the movie is saying and who it targets.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I have never watched any of their videos becuase of their eyes on the thumbnail
I'd encourage you to power through it and watch some. They, Honest Trailers and HISHE are youtube features I look out for. Very funny. I had buddies over to watch "Tenent" (Which is the same world backwards too!) and they hated it and me a bit for making them watch it. I played the Pitch meeting for it and they laughed so hard I think I was forgiven.

Banshees of Inisherin

HBOMAX

I was going to include the trailer but it shows way too much. Avoid it if you want to watch this movie fresh and without expectations.

1923 Ireland, torn by civil war, in a small waterfront village, a man tells his lifelong friend that he doesn't like him anymore and demands he never speak to him again for no apparent reason.

It reunites the talents of writer director Martin McDonagh (In Bruges: 2008) with actors Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson to great effect.

It is described as sad. Me and the missus didn't cry. Not a weepy kind of movie. More somber. It is sticking with me, making me think a lot about the situation.

BTW: Wife didn't know what a Banshee is and it might help to so, here it is. In Irish folklore, it is a female spirit, typically old, who shows up screams/wails and then goes away, foreshadowing impending death.

A-

Last edited:

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, 8/10

This came right the fuck out of nowhere. I saw a Youtube channel I follow from time to time praising it to the high heavens, and got intrigued. Then the algorithm started to show more and more videos saying the same thing, and I found out that this movie apparently has an insane Rotten Tomatoes score. Since I didn't have any plans for the day I decided to go see it right away, because a surprisingly good animated movie sounded right up my alley. And holy balls, they were right.

This movie has no fucking right to be as good as it is. A sequel to a spinoff from a franchise that's stagnated for like a decade and been turned into meme fodder simply should not be this good. But this movie does basically everything right. There's huge amounts of energy to the animation, the action is genuinely fantastic, the characters are engaging, it's funny and dramatically compelling without either overstepping the other, the visuals are surprisingly stylized and the main antagonist is probably one of the most memorable animated villains in a long time. For a family movie it's got themes for days, all of which are handled compellingly and maturely: accepting change, not trying to hold on to your past, found family, looking at the bright side of life, living for yourself juxtaposed with loneliness, cynicism, appreciating what you have in life and living for the now, fear of the inevitable... I'm legit shocked at how mature this movie is. Some of it is rather obvious, but a lot of it is given a level of nuance rarely seen in these kinds of movies.

When it comes to the visuals this is doing the Spiderverse/Arcane thing of mixing 2D animated elements with 3D, though not nearly to the same degree. I wish they did it more, because when done right it works really well, and actually breathes some life back into 3D family animation, since it all looks so samey now. They also play with the framerate and colors in a lot of places, and there are some really stylish transition montages that I appreciated. There are multiple shots in this movie that could be framed as paintings on their own. Yes, I'm still talking about the sequel to fucking Puss in Boots. This is probably the biggest surprise I've experienced in an audiovisual medium since Arcane. There aren't any real major criticisms I'd level at it. The dog character occasionally strays (heh) dangerously close to annoying territory, but just manages to avoid becoming irritating. At times the script feels a bit clunky with its themes, but given how well it handles most of it I'm willing to take some of the bad with the good.

In other things the trailer for the new Pixar movie Elemental played before this, and I was shocked. It looked like straight up dogshit. The water effects looked like they were from 2002. The earth people literally look like cow turds. It's only a 90-second teaser, but it just further emphasizes how far Pixar have really fallen from their heyday. There's infinite things you could do with the concept of a city where fire, earth, air and water elementals all live together, but they've once again defaulted to this really sterile, bland aesthetic with these round, blobbish character designs that reflect fuck-all about their element. I don't usually make assumptions about movies based on trailers (the exact reason why I never watch trailers in the first place), but if this is Pixar putting their best foot forward with this movie I feel like we may have another Good Dinosaur on our hands.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Awater: The Way of Vatar (2022)
I digress. Avatar: Way of Water is... well, it's what it sounds like. It's more Avatar, and there is a lot of water in it. There have, surely, been people who've been eagerly awaiting an opportunity to return to and immerse themselves again in the world of Pandora.
Sometimes, that's exactly what we need: movies that go back to the roots of entertainment, and aren't just cash grabs following the trend of "what's selling NOW." I am one of those who wanted more of Pandora, and I loved this sequel, but more so, I respected that it wasn't trying to capitalize on itself. It exists to be enjoyed, and it's been a long while since I've seen something like it, a movie where I haven't needed to have seen a half dozen other movies released within a coupe of years to "get" it or its references, a movie that hasn't blended with a larger overall and convoluted whole. It stands alone as a sequel to a film that itself stands alone, and I love that.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
We watched Smile again last night, and I might be overthinking it, but it hit me that it's a really topical film in terms of the current climate focusing on mental health. Never mind the lead is a psychiatrist, the fact that the antagonist is a deceptive smile hiding really deep, dark, self-harming motives struck a nerve. Some may have heard about the passing of tWitch, Ellen DeGeneres' long-time DJ, dancer, and friend who took his own life recently and extremely unexpectedly. He was known for his positivity and outwardly optimistic personality, the last person anyone would expect anything of like what he did to himself. Smile is about the dangers of hiding torment behind a smile.