Diablo IV - Beta Impressions

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
And...you need 85GB of space available to commence installation, even if you're only using the 40GB option.

Bra-fucking-vo. :(

Reactions: BrawlMan

mirbrownbread

Elite Member
Nov 16, 2022
Belgium
Country
Belgium
Plays a lot like D2? It doesn't look that way...It just looks like a newer version of D3. I might give it a try but yeah it looks way more like d3 then d2
I played the open beta and the server slam, and it indeed felt much closer to D3 than D2.
In D2 you somehow "feel" like you're actually fighting the enemies due to stats like chance to hit and faster hit recovery, and the fact that each thrown projectile has a trajectory you can orient by. D3 ditched all of that for the power fantasy of filling the screen with colored numbers, and D4 felt exactly like D3 in that regard - only with a brown filter applied everywhere.

I did like the vast itemization options - even with the level cap of 25 I was theory crating new builds, and that will definitely be D4's saving grace. Still, I don't see D4 ever evolving to be on par with PoE in terms of how deep the rabbit hole goes, not a chance...

Reactions: Alienware

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I played the open beta and the server slam, and it indeed felt much closer to D3 than D2.
In D2 you somehow "feel" like you're actually fighting the enemies due to stats like chance to hit and faster hit recovery, and the fact that each thrown projectile has a trajectory you can orient by. D3 ditched all of that for the power fantasy of filling the screen with colored numbers, and D4 felt exactly like D3 in that regard - only with a brown filter applied everywhere.

I did like the vast itemization options - even with the level cap of 25 I was theory crating new builds, and that will definitely be D4's saving grace. Still, I don't see D4 ever evolving to be on par with PoE in terms of how deep the rabbit hole goes, not a chance...

Reactions: mirbrownbread

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Bullshit.
If there's another scenario where we get an error 37 like message or the exact same message, I'm going to laugh.

Asmongold I don't count on for crap. I haven't touched the video yet, I know he spent all that money on Diablo immortal like an idiot, so he gets no sympathy for me. Dude is a fake DMC fan. In the beginning he had no idea what Devil May Cry was, and assumed Dante was a overly dark and edgy, emo, anime boi. Only to turn his breath round when he was looking at videos of DMC 5 Vergil. All of a sudden, "I'm a DMC fan, and I've always liked the series.". Fuck you, you pretender.

Last edited:

Alienware

Elite Member
Apr 10, 2020
Country
Canada
D2 is limited by the animations of it's time. Even the remake is built upon the original's frame data to ensure that it remained the same game.

However we've got better tech now and D4's animations and combat is much more fluid, it's even more fluid than D3's really. The mechanics behind D4's combat and itemization is much closer to D2's philosophy though. Really D4 is the game that D3 should have been.
Yeah that makes sense, my only concern about D4 is: will it be as fun as D2 in terms of repetitive gameplay because at the end of the day in game like diablo that's what's important.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Yeah that makes sense, my only concern about D4 is: will it be as fun as D2 in terms of repetitive gameplay because at the end of the day in game like diablo that's what's important.
I dont think that is possible to confirm for anyone but yourself. Is it fun? Yes. Will it be as fun as your personal bar? Dunno.

Reactions: Alienware

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So to give some credit to Blizzard, which I know is a taboo thing to do right now, the early access began last night and there were zero server errors, no disconnects, no lag, and no queue times. Not only that the game is available on all platforms without being a broken buggy mess which instantly makes it one of the best games of the year by virtue of working properly and that's really a sad thought.

Anyway game's good, my original post about the game still stands so if you want impressions or a review of any kind read that first post. But let this bump be confirmation that the servers are good, no queues, and the game is polished really well.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
And here I am contemplating whether to get this game at launch. Since I tend to ignore 90% of live-service stuff unless it's shoved to my face (I.E. class balance patches, new dungeons, loots, etc) I don't see myself investing ton of time into this game. I felt this during beta, where I put maybe 3-5 hours and got bored of the game. Maybe it had something to do with my druid build (which as my one and only build in beta) being so boring and one of the boss became too much of a damage sponge, but the beta definitely killed a lot of hype I had for this game

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
And here I am contemplating whether to get this game at launch. Since I tend to ignore 90% of live-service stuff unless it's shoved to my face (I.E. class balance patches, new dungeons, loots, etc) I don't see myself investing ton of time into this game. I felt this during beta, where I put maybe 3-5 hours and got bored of the game. Maybe it had something to do with my druid build (which as my one and only build in beta) being so boring and one of the boss became too much of a damage sponge, but the beta definitely killed a lot of hype I had for this game
Druid is the worse starting class in the game by an extremely wide margin. Druid is exceptional powerful, but not until way later so it's like the endurance class much like witch doctor and necro in d3, and amazon in d2. These classes all start slow and feel weak and boring, but in exchange they are fucking brutally powerful late game.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Druid is the worse starting class in the game by an extremely wide margin. Druid is exceptional powerful, but not until way later so it's like the endurance class much like witch doctor and necro in d3, and amazon in d2. These classes all start slow and feel weak and boring, but in exchange they are fucking brutally powerful late game.
There's also the matter of monetization for me. I'm already iffy about giving AB a $70 of my money, and a bit skeptical on that's all I will ever spend. I am seeing lots of YouTubers and twitch streamers, calling out AB. IDK, just feels like talks about battle passes and seasonal progressions belongs on a f2p games, not on a AAA title like this. "Cosmetic-only" has been one of the overused scapegoat lately, and in AB's case they already lied about BP not affecting gameplay w/ OW2 when they had Kiriko unlockable at the end of the first BP model

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
There's also the matter of monetization for me. I'm already iffy about giving AB a $70 of my money, and a bit skeptical on that's all I will ever spend. I am seeing lots of YouTubers and twitch streamers, calling out AB. IDK, just feels like talks about battle passes and seasonal progressions belongs on a f2p games, not on a AAA title like this. "Cosmetic-only" has been one of the overused scapegoat lately, and in AB's case they already lied about BP not affecting gameplay w/ OW2 when they had Kiriko unlockable at the end of the first BP model
Fair and i cant answer that for you.

Know that the entire game is great without even opening the Mtx shop. So it isnt a big deal and isnt intrusive.

As an online game with continued planned support mtx are just going to be a thing. This is the era of gaming now and all you can do is control who you support and what you support.

Evem at 70 bucks this game is easily excellent value in terms of the amount of playtime possible. Think of it this way, at least you get the full game for one price, rather than street fighter 6 which has dlc content for extra money which to me is less optional.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I had to giggle at them having an issue where you can't log on on playstation unless you buy a microtransaction pack.

(As far as I go, I have no interest in anything Activizzard wants to shill. I'll just wait for PoE 2. Wayfinder, or whatever other one)

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I had to giggle at them having an issue where you can't log on on playstation unless you buy a microtransaction pack.

(As far as I go, I have no interest in anything Activizzard wants to shill. I'll just wait for PoE 2. Wayfinder, or whatever other one)
I saw that but ive been playing on two ps5s without trouble so i dunno how that happened to people. Sometimes the strangest shit happens and i wonder if people just somehow have weird settings on their stuff or something.

Also there was a free profile icon you could download for d4 that would also fix the issue so you didnt have to spend anything to fix the error. Not that it should happen in the first place but it didnt require a mtx purchase.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I'm still waiting for the Paladin/Crusader Class to be implemented in this game before I buy this game.

Barbarian can get too easy and boring.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I saw that but ive been playing on two ps5s without trouble so i dunno how that happened to people. Sometimes the strangest shit happens and i wonder if people just somehow have weird settings on their stuff or something.

Also there was a free profile icon you could download for d4 that would also fix the issue so you didnt have to spend anything to fix the error. Not that it should happen in the first place but it didnt require a mtx purchase.

Well, first you try and put some kind of anti-piracy thing in your game that checks the game license.
Then you somehow F up including the license thats being checked in the main download, so the license only updates with the DLC purchases.

I believe they patched it fairly quickly, but its still a hilarious failure on the basic level.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I'm still waiting for the Paladin/Crusader Class to be implemented in this game before I buy this game.
I'll take your Paladin/Crusader and raise you a Templar.

I know it's unlikely to be the case, but I'd argue that would work much better given the context. Kormac reforms the Templar post-RoS, so 50 years on, even if the order has crumbled (which would fit D4 thematically), having a Templar fighting alone would work well. Arguably have a role reversal from the Templar being morally repugnant to being better than the alternative offered by Inarius (the Pale Knights).

You could technically do that with the Crusaders as well, but they've been pursuing a fool's errand since their inception, so while that could work thematically, not as well, IMO.

(Also, I read somewhere that the sixth class is apparently an all new one, but I can't confirm it.)

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I think the story makes it pretty clear as to why there is no palladin/crusader type class at the launch of the game tbh. But...spoilers so....