Akira Toriyama dies at age 68

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
A fair amount of the cred he has in Japan is probably as much for DragonBall than DragonBall Z. Like its just a really jazzed up retelling of the tale of Sun Wukong and the Journey to the West but its such a damn GOOD retelling that was jazzed up that no one gives a shit. Its just really, really fun. And as I understand it, its impact on the Shonen genre is unquestionable.
I don't really know the difference between Dragon ball and Z, or even knew there was a dragon ball rather than just a Z and not sure what a shonen is, but even in my ignorance I could probably name a few characters and assign names to a picture .

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I don't really know the difference between Dragon ball and Z, or even knew there was a dragon ball rather than just a Z and not sure what a shonen is, but even in my ignorance I could probably name a few characters and assign names to a picture .
The original manga is just called Dragonball throughout its entire 42 volume run, but can roughly be divided into two major chunks: volume 1-16 is Goku growing up and had a more lighthearted and comedic tone, and then volume 17-42 chronicles his adult life with a more serious tone. When the manga was animated, the young Goku part was called Dragonball like the manga, and the adult Goku part was named Dragonball Z as a soft reboot to reflect this change in tone.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Putting aside the usual thoughts and prayers, the sad reality of Toriyama's passing is how comics and creatives are being pissed on by corporations destroying such stuff for a tax write off.

So if I want to pay my respects to Toriyama I would wish such a situation isn't happening right now while the veterans are dying left and right
A lot of mangaka end up dying young, and I really do believe it's due to overwork, stress, and the intense pressure and deadlines that the publishers put on them. Even when they don't directly die from overwork, the lifestyle of a mangaka is definitely unhealthy that their health is irreversibly damaged during their career.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Sonic and Tails relationship is based off of Piccolo and Gohan. Not the first DBZ thing inspired in Sonic. The second Sonic game is full of DBZ inspirations.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
acute subdural hematoma aka blood clot in the brain. So, you know, one of those things that can just get you out of nowhere, even if you're otherwise in good health.
This is false. Two different things usually caused by different stuff too.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
And El Savador has declared a nationwide mourning for his death. I don’t think I’ve ever seen this level of tribute for any mangaka, save for Berserk

Ok, tho I wonder if thats an El Salvador thing or just El Salvadors weird cryptobro president.

I think the next time we’ll see this amount of mourning is if Masako Nozwa (voice of Goku) or Eiichiro Oda (One Piece) passes away
Speaking of Nozawa
This is false. Two different things usually caused by different stuff too.
Oh, ok. Guess I misinterpreted the explanation I looked up then. Or it was explained poorly. Either way, mea culpa.

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
A lot of mangaka end up dying young, and I really do believe it's due to overwork, stress, and the intense pressure and deadlines that the publishers put on them. Even when they don't directly die from overwork, the lifestyle of a mangaka is definitely unhealthy that their health is irreversibly damaged during their career.
I understand that's the reality, but the pop culture zeitgeist has changed in the last decade with the paradoxical Vtubers and Gacha culture killing the manga scene from within and in the west, the shit Zaslav and other executives doing is killing creative thought.

I see Toriyama's death as the fact we are losing iconic people and with no one to walk in their footsteps

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Sonic and Tails relationship is based off of Piccolo and Gohan. Not the first DBZ thing inspired in Sonic. The second Sonic game is full of DBZ inspirations.

That's a surprise given how often Sonic is compared to Goku and Tails to Krillin.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
That's a surprise given how often Sonic is compared to Goku and Tails to Krillin.
This might be apocryphal. Iirc the only direct inspirations from Dragonball confirmed by Sonic Team members are Super Sonic (Super Saiyan), Silver (Trunks) and the Blue Sphere bonus stage in Sonic 3 (Kaio's planet).

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
This might be apocryphal. Iirc the only direct inspirations from Dragonball confirmed by Sonic Team members are Super Sonic (Super Saiyan), Silver (Trunks) and the Blue Sphere bonus stage in Sonic 3 (Kaio's planet).
It's right there in a tweet, what more proof do you need?