Favorite anime intro songs?

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I think mine might just be Cruel Angel's Thesis from Evangelion, despite the fact that I'm definitely not a fan of the anime and think it's a hot mess.

It just has the perfect amount of pop, and the way it builds up is fantastic. It's so quintessentially anime, it's pretty tough to beat.

So what's yours?

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
It's hard to call a favorite, but there's a bunch of anime that are very forgettable but I remember solely because of their great OP

Xam'd, an anime I have literally not hear mentioned once since it release, has this awesome pop rock.

same for Kokkoku

I guess, pressed against the wall, I'd probably go with last exile just for how strange it is

Reactions: Drathnoxis

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I think mine might just be Cruel Angel's Thesis from Evangelion, despite the fact that I'm definitely not a fan of the anime and think it's a hot mess.

It just has the perfect amount of pop, and the way it builds up is fantastic. It's so quintessentially anime, it's pretty tough to beat.

So what's yours?
Mine is Neon Genesis as well, but I love the show so its just the cherry on the weirdest sundae I've ever enjoyed.

However, some additional mentions:

Chnro Crusade

Ah My Goddess: Flights of Fancy

Onegai Sensei.

Cowboy Bebop

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (both series)

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
In newer anime, I'm really enjoying the music choices in Spy x Family so far. But it isn't in the top tier for me yet. Including highlights like...
The Psycho Pass opens for the first season (part 1 and part 2) were pretty excellent. Hard to pick between Abnormalize and Out of Control though. The latter is the song I prefer, but I'll share the former because the animation in the open was better and the difference in quality of songs made little difference.
Of course the first open that FMA: Brotherhood used really nailed it (they should never have changed it)
And to round things out with a joke, that's also a good answer... each Toaru series did particularly well when coming up with an open. But (heh) one stands out above all others.

NO BUTS

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Some good responses here. After listening to them all a couple times while playing Nethack I'd have to say these are my top picks from this thread.
[Xam'd Lost Memories Opening]
This one is very funky and I like it a lot without even having seen the anime.

I haven't seen most of the anime listed but I was going to disagree with Attack on Titan getting the bottom 3 slots because I only remembered really liking the first theme, but after listening to them again actually I think those 3 are all pretty good. My dislike of the writing must have impacted my appreciation of the opening themes.

[Cowboy Bebop Opening]

Of course, Cowboy Bebop is a classic and I'd be very surprised if someone hadn't mentioned it. I have it on my iPod so I can't disagree.

Big O. This song sounds a lot like Flash by Queen.
[/QUOTE]
Onegai Sensei.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (both series)
The Onegai Sensei theme isn't outstandingly unique, I'm sure I've heard other themes that are fairly similar, but it's well done and I like it.

I like the first Ghost in the Shell theme you posted too. Reminds me a bit of the music from Nier: Automata.

I haven't seen either of these anime, though I should probably get around to watching Ghost in the Shell one day.

Of course the first open that FMA: Brotherhood used really nailed it (they should never have changed it)

And to round things out with a joke, that's also a good answer... each Toaru series did particularly well when coming up with an open. But (heh) one stands out above all others.

NO BUTS
I of course agree with FMA: Brotherhood, as I think I've already done in the past.

As to To Aru Majutsu No Index II. Not sure why this is a joke answer, but this actually gets me a little interested in watching the anime because I've seen it around here and there. I know nothing about what it's about, though, is it worth watching?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Big O. This song sounds a lot like Flash by Queen.
That's because it is. They did get in trouble for that. You can't get the intro on the newer DVDs and blu-ray. Unless you have the original box set or volume release DVD copies, you'll never find it in on new physical media.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009

Onegai Sensei.
Holy shit, Onegai Teacher, that's a blast from the past!

Totally didn't check this show out initially because of a teacher fetish or anything.

As for me, Neon Genesis Evangelion is the godking of anime openings.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Dragon Ball, Kenshin.

Sorry my phone is paired to the speakers at work and can't YouTube them right now.

Evangelion is he one that goes zaaasassnkoku na tenshi no kaaaaze sooooroodeee na shini na na na na.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Its totally anime.

Reactions: Gordon_4

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Agree with the GoitS openings. always liked them.

Others :

Akatsuki no Yona

Knights of Cidonia

Hack:Sign (but the rest of its music is better)

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
This one is very funky and I like it a lot without even having seen the anime.
Sadly its very meh, the early 2000 were a weird time for anime where the most random stuff would get massive budget with seemingly no relationship with potential audience/popularity. Like production IG did this amazingly good looking show called real drive in 08 that's so unknown that I couldn't even find the OP on youtube, yet that got 26 episodes!

Anyway since I couldn't find the OP for it I'll drop akumadan drive OP instead, which is pretty good (good show but drop the ball in the second half)

Discount patlabor! I really need to watch it one day.