Trump threatens... quid pro quo?

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008

Trump making a hypothetical situation in which he can outfund Biden by just calling Exxon and exchanging permits for funding. To be clear this is a hypothetical on the part of the president that I'm sure would never ever happen.

But the real kicker, Exxon coming out to say that never happened (but not specifying which part didn't happen).

chef's kiss
Perfect

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Please.

Exxon lied about the effects of GHGs for decades. Trump can't open his mouth without lying.

They're a perfect couple.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I swear to god, if Trump were fictional he'd be hilarious.

It's basically legal to bribe politicians in the United States, as long as you don't say out loud that you're doing it.

And yet...AND YET, President Deals can't help but fuck it up and give the game away. Before the game is played even

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So what hes saying is the house should begin an investigation into whether or not Exxon is bribing the president for expedited permits.

I mean, we have probable cause, straight from the horse's mouth.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
"I don't want to do that."
Everyone should think back to the times they go off on tangents about things they absolutely could but don't want to do and remember why they said them. Those are so common I can't believe people don't understand, surely people talk about illegal actions they could but don't take all the time for... reasons!

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Everyone should think back to the times they go off on tangents about things they absolutely could but don't want to do and remember why they said them. Those are so common I can't believe people don't understand, surely people talk about illegal actions they could but don't take all the time for... reasons!
It was an accusation. Like, I'm not going to say his comments were good. They were stupid and divisive. But he was saying "well, if I went and traded favors with major corporations [implying this is what other politicians do] I'd raise more money than everyone else, but I'm not gonna do that." For some reason, people here are reading this as "well, if I went and traded favors with major corporations [wink wink I'm doing this] I'd raise so much money." And like, that's dumb.

Reactions: Agema

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
It was an accusation. Like, I'm not going to say his comments were good. They were stupid and divisive. But he was saying "well, if I went and traded favors with major corporations [implying this is what other politicians do] I'd raise more money than everyone else, but I'm not gonna do that." For some reason, people here are reading this as "well, if I went and traded favors with major corporations [wink wink I'm doing this] I'd raise so much money." And like, that's dumb.
Yes, it's really just a combination of boast and a fake appeal to morality - "I could out-fundraise Biden if I wanted, I'm just too ethical"; plus of course it also it is designed to foster this image of a man who's there for the common American rather than Wall Street, even if it's untrue.

He's also, of course, wrong. He's ten points behind in the polls. Big companies will not be handing huge sums off to an electoral campaign that increasingly looks doomed, because money only buys power if it backs the winner. There's also the aspect of whether big business finds Trump sufficiently politically and economically disruptive that this outweighs his more business-friendly platform, on which I wouldn't like to say one way or another. Anyway, all he'd be getting is small donations by companies hedging their bets in case he pulls off an upset. Much more likely where they favour Republicans the money will be flowing into Congressional campaigns.

Reactions: Dalisclock