Bolivia's Jenine Áñez finally allows election effectively at gunpoint, loses and is going to jail

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Would we really propose that the US government would say it could not sign such a treaty because it was unconstitutional? Or that it signed the treaty, and the Supreme Court promptly struck it down as unconstitutional? I would say surely not. The circumstances would clearly demand that the treaty supercede the second amendment, and I'll bet you the Constitution, somewhere, makes allowances for that to be done.
Yes. 100% yes. I want the US government to fight against that to the point of dissolution rather than sign away the people's rights to the decree of a foreign conqueror.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
The Supreme Court is the final arbiter of the law. (Let's bear in mind SCOTUS has made rulings that many - including sometimes the government itself - feels are contrary to the US Constitution, and they have all been accepted by the institution of the state: that's the way it works.) The government has remedies available to it if it really doesn't like what the court rules.
It wasn't a ruling found contrary to the constitution. They found the constitution illegal. There is no SCOTUS ruling where the court said "this part of the constitution is illegal". There may be reasonable disagreements on their rulings about what is or isn't constitutional, but the Supreme Court will not and can not rule part of the constitution against the law, because there is no higher law from which to judge. A constitutional amendment is not subject to judicial oversight in the way other laws are.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
lel The theory that was never tried for the 150+ years it has been around except for all the times it failed but it wasn't really implemented properly so it doesn't count.
Cope via memes. Same here.
1603210499662.png

Last edited:

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
But the constitution was found to be in violation of a charter on human right, so how idealistic would it be to find in favour of the constitution?
*The same charter of human rights also advocates that abortion is immoral and should be illegal

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
But the constitution was found to be in violation of a charter on human right, so how idealistic would it be to find in favour of the constitution?
Extremely

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Yes. 100% yes. I want the US government to fight against that to the point of dissolution rather than sign away the people's rights to the decree of a foreign conqueror.
It would, though, wouldn't it? The government that commits its people to their own mass slaughter has achieved the ultimate failure of a government.

Secondly, I think any claim about what to do in the circumstances is exceptionally questionable, because it is a situation is too vast and extreme to usefullly predict how we would react under the circumstances.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
A constitutional amendment is not subject to judicial oversight in the way other laws are.
Not in the USA, maybe. It may be in Bolivia.

Nevertheless, the fact still remains that the ultimate interpretation of law and constitution lies with the Supreme Court, and what they rule stands as law, in Bolivia or the USA.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Not in the USA, maybe. It may be in Bolivia.

Nevertheless, the fact still remains that the ultimate interpretation of law and constitution lies with the Supreme Court, and what they rule stands as law, in Bolivia or the USA.
A special constitutional court Morales himself set up...

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
A special constitutional court Morales himself set up...
Tell you what, why don't you read up on it properly rather than expect me to go get the information for you?

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Tell you what, why don't you read up on it properly rather than expect me to go get the information for you?
Some wiki article doesn't tell me what happened only what I am supposed to know what happened.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Some wiki article doesn't tell me what happened only what I am supposed to know what happened.
I suggest a more thorough investigation of the internet. If you want to pay me £30 an hour, I could give you a tutorial.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
...when they drafted the current constitution. That’s an elected body.
They definitely had absolutely no connection to him or his party, yeah? Absolutely no way that it would taint their rulings in the future. They just dropped out of space into their seats in the court.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
They definitely had absolutely no connection to him or his party, yeah? Absolutely no way that it would taint their rulings in the future. They just dropped out of space into their seats in the court.
I mean all judges are political, but at least these guys got elected.

Reactions: MrCalavera