Loathed phrases/terms

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Let's 'unpack' this. (media explanation of a topic)

'cultural appropriation'. (almost never is it used against someone who is actually taking sole credit for the thing they are 'appropriating' as if they and they alone invented it. There's a reason music is called 'the universal language'.)

'the universal language'.... (kidding)

'at the end of the day...' (the reason I have made this decision/chosen to believe this, is just because I want to so fuck giving you an actual rational explanation.)

Reactions: Worgen

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Have a blessed day. (Everyone around here uses this ALL THE TIME. Any phone call at work, and they end with that shit. )

God bless you. (no, fuck off)

That's jesus working through you. (this one I find especially annoying, as it's religious people coopting something someone else did they felt is praiseworthy, and giving it to their invisible sky daddy. fuck off)

That wasn't me, that was the devil. (similarly to the above one, I hear this one when someone does something shitty, or acts like an asshole, and gets called out on it. they then try and backpeddle, claiming they aren't like that. yes you fucking are, you clearly acted like that. own up to your failings and stop blaming invisible people)

You just have to have faith. (No I don't, I have reason and skepticism. Fuck off with your hoping invisible sky people will fix your problems, and/or ignore when people point out the inconsistencies in your belief, that you just don't want to deal with. )

Decimated. It's DEVASTATED damnit!! To decimate something is to reduce it by only 10%, so it's still 90% effective/there. And yet the way everyone uses it, they are implying that something, or someone got reduced to almost non-existence.

Saying that something was "trumped", meaning it was overruled, overrided, etc. I find myself actively avoiding using that word now because of the orange fuckwad.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
If your boss says it's "Voluntary".
In the military, the term for that was "Voluntold".

We also had "Mandofun", which were mandatory "fun" activities. Guess what makes anything not fun? Being forced to attend.

"Millennials are ruining -insert industry/thing-"
My response to that is always "Good".

Especially when I found out we were ruining Golf.

I don't know why, but for me the term "Problematic".

I know it's a perfectly legit word but it feels so fucking overused anymore it comes across as cringey.

Also, I have no idea what "cultural appropriation" is supposed to mean anymore so I cringe when I hear it used.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
"Gaming would be better if [game I hate here] shut down/was deleted."

No it wouldn't, you elitist chode. It's just that people would have fewer choices other than your favorite game, forcing some of them to play it, and buttressing the fragile sense of self-worth you've leashed to a video game.
There's a common misconception at work here, where people think in terms of scarcity and that there's a finite amount of gamers that get to play X games. Whereas what you have is just more people being brought into gamers due to these games, so it's not like certain game existing affects other stuff unless it's fortnite causing every game to add a battle royal mode to their thing or something like that, which I think is something legitimate to be concerned over btw.

Barring such a situation, a game not existing would only affect the people who wouldn't go on to be gamers without it, everyone else would be doing what they're doing.

I don't think people would even play some other game, not the ones who weren't already playing it alongside the game which now doesn't exist any more. I think way more people would just go on to not play anything at all, which is pretty sad.

The issue here is fads and cult followings of underserved stuff and that sort of thing. The individual game is not the issue. What you wanna do is simply foster a more discerning palate in people and hope they play a variety of stuff and not just the same thing that's popular.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
"You can't say that."
The winning rebuttal to any argument. Though to be fair the people that say this phrase aren't used to arguing. Or at least the fine art of doing it over the internet.
Or, "I can't say this thing I am currently saying, because PC". By extension, "He's the only one saying what we are all thinking"

Have a blessed day. (Everyone around here uses this ALL THE TIME. Any phone call at work, and they end with that shit. )
I'd also add "Happy Day", in that it's said by weird people hanging around stone circles in classic British TV.

Reactions: BrawlMan

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
The recent use of "based" doesn't feel like it was naturally brought about by being an interesting, fun or cathartic ensemble of syllables like "yeet" or "lit" who both have at least the pleasant sensation of clicking a pen or flicking a lighter, or the various other words from previous generations like "wicked" or whatever. Instead it sounds more like what a basic script kiddy algorithm - incapable of understanding what it's like to actually speak - decided should be a word that is pushed into certain vernaculars regardless of whether anyone wants it. It just feels tone-deaf and dull to use, rendering anything you would want to grace with your blessing rather the opposite, limp and lifeless.

Reactions: Kwak

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Pretty much all corporate buzz words/phrases. My boss is a poster child for how to be a corporate shill, and every conversation with him becomes a chore within a scant few sentences; he sounds like he’s reading directly out of a “how to be successful in business” book. He’s a nice enough guy and affords me the autonomy I like, but Jesus, you were human before you were “the man,” dude. Just last week, he asked me, and I quote: “how’s your mental health” in an attempt to clarify he wasn’t speaking generally during our weekly “how’s everything going” touchbase. It was hard to take such a forced concern question seriously; I didn’t know what to say, like, was there any potential I was going to break down and spill any appreciable amount of mental anguish at his feet? We work for a retailer; I’m as mentally healthy as every other disaffected cog in this consumerist machine, just not as disillusioned as he’d like, I guess.

Last edited:

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Botched proverbs, taken out of context, that completely 180 the original meaning. "Blood is thicker than water", "Pull yourself by the bootstraps" etc.

'Drinky winky' and 'hubby'.

Anyone else?
"Hubby" and "Wifey" have to be the most disgusting words in english language, that aren't outright slurs.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
"Thoughts and prayers"

Far too often said by the kind of people who don't give a rat's ass but don't want to come off as such, so they blurt this out to ease their own conscience and make it look like they're doing something to help. Which they're not of course, because that is not quick, easy, cheap and free of all personal responsibility.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
"Hubby" and "Wifey" have to be the most disgusting words in english language, that aren't outright slurs.
If my wife ever refers to me as her hubby, it's a divorce. For everyone. Divorces all round! Hip hip! Hooray!

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Still searching for a word for my... well... "girlfriend." We're both in our 40s; "girlfriend" seems childish, "spouse" is too formal and not indicative of our actual status, "significant other" is too clinical and sounds like limp-dicked political correctness, and I can't, for the life of me, divine any socially acceptable occasion to call her my "lover." Taking suggestions.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Botched proverbs, taken out of context, that completely 180 the original meaning. "Blood is thicker than water", "Pull yourself by the bootstraps" etc.
Actually I was thinking about the thicker than water one, that I personally can't stand, given how little love I have for the majority of my family.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Still searching for a word for my... well... "girlfriend." We're both in our 40s; "girlfriend" seems childish, "spouse" is too formal and not indicative of our actual status, "significant other" is too clinical and sounds like limp-dicked political correctness, and I can't, for the life of me, divine any socially acceptable occasion to call her my "lover." Taking suggestions.
Partner.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Partner?
Fuck Buddy?
None of Your Business Who She Is To Me?

Reactions: Xprimentyl