What are you currently playing?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Played some PS4 Spiderman last night and it crashed, suggesting I need to update something. Not sure what. My PS4 firmware is up to date and when I started the game, it didn't prompt me for an update.

But I was pooped and didn't want a challenge so I played some Goat Simulator. It let me head butt a gas station into a giant fireball. I also found myself entangled with a launching fireworks rocket that took me hundreds of feet into the air... which was stupid fun.

This fellow appears to have somehow swapped the goat for an ostrich

Last edited:
Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
It depends on what you're used to. I only played the PS3 version and the remaster was definitely a step up. 60fps, Blighttown that didn't slow to crawl, quicker load times etc. It looked a bit crisper too.
Never played any Souls game, other than like 1-2 hours of Dark 1. Got completely bored with it and never bothered again, so I can't comment on quality changes. I was just responding to the other poster's question about why remaster if you aren't going to improve much. Hence my "they knew they had guaranteed sales, so were just looking for a cash grab?" comment.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Emulated Crazy Taxi 2 a bit. I forgot how much worse this game is than the first. Even the characters. New York sucks. I thought I remembered new music, but it's all the same songs from the first.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Been playing Tales of Berseria lately.

Its a solid game , and its on PC (on sale when I got it) which is a huge plus for me since my consoles are all very old and only somewhat functional these days.

It has a pretty visual novel type of storytelling - the gameplay is present and decent but for the most part the focus is on the story told through a great many fully voiced cutscenes and vignettes, plus a whole tonne of voiced side discussions you can interact with and then a pile of unvoiced discussions. Certain fights are woven well into storytelling but most fall under the banner of "random battle bullshit".

The game is played the usual way with all your allies neatly packed away inside your butthole until such time as a battle or visual scene calls them forth. It caught me off guard that during the voiced side conversations that occasionally an allies voice would slip out of my tightly clenched rear end to contribute to the conversation, but it does help keep the illusion that there is a party present, even if you can't see them, and it makes the game feel a little more narratively dynamic. I've played much older Tales games where you barely heard from your party outside of acted scenes and on the rare conversation you did hear from them they would extract themselves from your forlorn fartchamber, walk to a speaking position and talk, and then reinsert themselves. It really broke up conversations and enforced the idea that there was a clear negative space between "story" and "playing". Here its much more smoothly meshed even if the necessity of keeping an uncluttered screen runs up against the desire to keep whole party engaged in the narrative.

Gameplay is... ups and downs. I'm dead certain there is a way to skillfully play the game, but the way the ability system is set up its hard for me to do anything but mash buttons. Skills are bound to each of the four face buttons, and they are contextual depending on order you press them in. Basically, you can set up 52 combinations plus additional skills activated mid combo, and ultimate moves. Your ability to use these depends on how many pips you have. You start each battle with three pips (so you can use 39 moves, up to three moves in a row) and stuff happens that either knocks a pip out of you or into you as the battle progresses. This... sounds awesome. But there's no way I can keep all this shit in my head, and I'm not interested in trying to be frank. I effectively have to set up four start points, four third points (the most common end point of a combo until you get good at gaining more pips) and then just hammer those buttons. I know where I'm starting and where I'll probably end but everything else is magic baby. It turns fights into a button mash jamboree for me because I don't see any point in trying to memorize optimal combos with so many choices.

If you lose too many pips then a fight becomes a godawful slog. With only one pip your options for getting pips back are punishingly slim, and in a chaotic arena pulling off the moves you need to do to gain them can be pretty hard. Certain areas specialize in enemies that use status effects to knock down pips very quickly so its easy to get combo'd.If you die then your party is likely boned - cool on one hand as it enforces the idea that you are indeed a critical part of the team, crappy on the other as you watch for a couple minutes as the remaining team gets beat down.

All that said, its a decent game. The story is a little predictable and I think after about the third point I've pretty much figured out the end, but its well communicated, the characters are fun and complex, and have good banter with eachother. I particularly like interactions between the two lead male characters because instead of being hotheaded and at eachothers throat as is often the anime way they basically get along but occasionally get wrapped up in the arguments a pair of ten year olds would have (something like four vignettes and counting revolving around whether a beetle is a stag or a rhino). (And which is better.) The fights are satisfying if shallow at my level of play, and the numbers go up. The menus are well made and intuitive, althought the mass collection of gear for breaking down and enhancing equipment can be dull.

Its fun, I'll finish it.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Transistor. I've played a couple of sessions and I keep feeling like stopping after 15-20 minutes. I don't have any idea what's going on and the game isn't really grabbing me. There's evil robots for some reason and my weapon abilities have... character descriptions? Including a description for my own character, I don't get it. I really liked Bastion, but so far this one isn't doing it for me.

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Been playing Tales of Berseria lately.

Its a solid game , and its on PC (on sale when I got it) which is a huge plus for me since my consoles are all very old and only somewhat functional these days.

It has a pretty visual novel type of storytelling - the gameplay is present and decent but for the most part the focus is on the story told through a great many fully voiced cutscenes and vignettes, plus a whole tonne of voiced side discussions you can interact with and then a pile of unvoiced discussions. Certain fights are woven well into storytelling but most fall under the banner of "random battle bullshit".

The game is played the usual way with all your allies neatly packed away inside your butthole until such time as a battle or visual scene calls them forth. It caught me off guard that during the voiced side conversations that occasionally an allies voice would slip out of my tightly clenched rear end to contribute to the conversation, but it does help keep the illusion that there is a party present, even if you can't see them, and it makes the game feel a little more narratively dynamic. I've played much older Tales games where you barely heard from your party outside of acted scenes and on the rare conversation you did hear from them they would extract themselves from your forlorn fartchamber, walk to a speaking position and talk, and then reinsert themselves. It really broke up conversations and enforced the idea that there was a clear negative space between "story" and "playing". Here its much more smoothly meshed even if the necessity of keeping an uncluttered screen runs up against the desire to keep whole party engaged in the narrative.

Gameplay is... ups and downs. I'm dead certain there is a way to skillfully play the game, but the way the ability system is set up its hard for me to do anything but mash buttons. Skills are bound to each of the four face buttons, and they are contextual depending on order you press them in. Basically, you can set up 52 combinations plus additional skills activated mid combo, and ultimate moves. Your ability to use these depends on how many pips you have. You start each battle with three pips (so you can use 39 moves, up to three moves in a row) and stuff happens that either knocks a pip out of you or into you as the battle progresses. This... sounds awesome. But there's no way I can keep all this shit in my head, and I'm not interested in trying to be frank. I effectively have to set up four start points, four third points (the most common end point of a combo until you get good at gaining more pips) and then just hammer those buttons. I know where I'm starting and where I'll probably end but everything else is magic baby. It turns fights into a button mash jamboree for me because I don't see any point in trying to memorize optimal combos with so many choices.

If you lose too many pips then a fight becomes a godawful slog. With only one pip your options for getting pips back are punishingly slim, and in a chaotic arena pulling off the moves you need to do to gain them can be pretty hard. Certain areas specialize in enemies that use status effects to knock down pips very quickly so its easy to get combo'd.If you die then your party is likely boned - cool on one hand as it enforces the idea that you are indeed a critical part of the team, crappy on the other as you watch for a couple minutes as the remaining team gets beat down.

All that said, its a decent game. The story is a little predictable and I think after about the third point I've pretty much figured out the end, but its well communicated, the characters are fun and complex, and have good banter with eachother. I particularly like interactions between the two lead male characters because instead of being hotheaded and at eachothers throat as is often the anime way they basically get along but occasionally get wrapped up in the arguments a pair of ten year olds would have (something like four vignettes and counting revolving around whether a beetle is a stag or a rhino). (And which is better.) The fights are satisfying if shallow at my level of play, and the numbers go up. The menus are well made and intuitive, althought the mass collection of gear for breaking down and enhancing equipment can be dull.

Its fun, I'll finish it.
Added to my Steam wishlist, thanks for recommending. They still want $50 for this 3 year old game. Reviews are "very positive". I'll keep a watch out for a good time for buy.

My Spiderman for PS4 errorred out on me a few days ago. Rebooted system and loaded it again and that worked. I'm finding terrific thing that make it like a Batman/Far Cry game: towers that can be hacked, old back packs. Interrupted by stupid puzzle games. Good game so far!

Played some Forza Horizon 3 after that. Still amazing visuals and fun gameplay.

I'm sure I'll get 4 if 5 comes out and 4 price drops.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Im currently running through the Halo 4 Spartan Ops levels, on Solo/Legendary, for some challenges and achievements.

And let me tell you, out of all of the Halo that I have played over the years, this is the dullest.

There is no challenge here. Sure, the game is on the hardest difficulty, and the the toughness of the enemies matches that, but the issue here is that there is no failure state. You can die as many times as you like in Spartan Ops, but it doesnt matter. You will just respawn a few seconds later, with all of the enemies you killed, still dead. It just turns into a war of attrition, and it is just painfully dull.

Not to mention that most of the time, the game either pits you against Halo 4's promethan enemies, which are just so frustrating to fight, or a swarm of elites which will just blow you up in moments, or hunters, which are a complete chore to fight with nothing but a couple of grenades and basic loadout weapons.

The game has about 50 of these missions, with some that can last about 30 minutes due to the constant waves of enemies. Maybe I will just bash out 30 (ive done 16) for the challenge, and move onto something fun.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Classic World of Warcraft. So I can finally do these raids I've never done before

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Beat Ghostrunner a second time, because I goofed up and didn't replay it in a way that would let me New Game+ it. And.....I think that game is turning me into a speedrunner. I'm not a GOOD speedrunner mind you, but damn if it's not satisfying to run those maps and do better than I did the last time. I was especially filled with endorphins when I got to one of the last puzzles in the game, that at first just fucking kicked my ass because I couldn't figure it out for the longest time. Once I got the trick down, I was able to finish it. This time....only died once through that specific sequence. And man did that feel fucking good. :D

I'm replaying it now for a 3rd time, with all my unlocked abilities up front, and while I'm still fucking up, it's much smoother and far less fuck ups on average.

I still can't seem to get down the dash/slide/jump thingy that I've seen people do to just go really fucking fast and fly across gaps to other platforms, bypassing the "route" set by the game. I can sometimes do it, but others it doesn't work. So, yeah I'm still scratching my head on that one a bit. But even following the route, I'm doing it faster and with less deaths, and I've still found a lot of locations that I can take shortcuts, that I just didn't think about on first run.

I really enjoy this game. It's scratching a lot of gaming itches in a very satisfying way. And that music, still makes me bob my head every time, and when allowed by the map, I move with the beat just for lulz.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Added to my Steam wishlist, thanks for recommending. They still want $50 for this 3 year old game. Reviews are "very positive". I'll keep a watch out for a good time for buy.
Yeah no problem. It was on for 20 bucks a little while ago so I'm guessing come the christmas steam sale it'll be there again. I tried looking for the game you suggested to me but unfortunately it isn't on PC and my Wii seems to be dead. Or just extremely dirty, but either way it was a no go.

Reactions: gorfias

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Friend of mine got me the Halo collection on Steam because of the recent sale, and I got myself Black Mesa. I'll probably be playing through those whenever I don't have access to the TV to play Yakuza 7.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Finished the Call of Duty Cold War campaign. It was a lot of fun, and one of the better COD campaigns. Pretty creative levels and a lot more variety in the mission structure. I also enjoyed the little intel puzzles to do the side missions.

I'm honestly really curious about how your choices affect the ending so I'll be replaying it again (which should be easy enough, you can speed through it in like 3 hours).

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Replaying Drake's Fortune.

Not very good, but enjoyable enough. The higher difficulties expose how poor the combat is. I'm playing on Crushing. It's almost pure cover shooting on the higher difficulties, since the enemies take your little health so fast. And the cover mechanics aren't good.

The sequels took themselves too seriously. This game just has ninety minutes of cutscenes. Uncharted 4 has almost three hours, plus plenty of scripted events that aren't really gameplay.

The pulp adventure feeling faded in the face of all that serious drama, in my opinion.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Replaying Drake's Fortune.

Not very good, but enjoyable enough. The higher difficulties expose how poor the combat is. I'm playing on Crushing. It's almost pure cover shooting on the higher difficulties, since the enemies take your little health so fast. And the cover mechanics aren't good.

The sequels took themselves too seriously. This game just has ninety minutes of cutscenes. Uncharted 4 has almost three hours, plus plenty of scripted events that aren't really gameplay.

The pulp adventure feeling faded in the face of all that serious drama, in my opinion.
Uncharted 4 was just a bad fanfic, and really showed how far naughty dog got up their own ass. The changing in writers was definitely not helping.

As for your trouble with Crushing. Here: just wait until you get the brutal mode.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Finally broke through the Catacombs of Carthus in DS3. It's like someone on the dev team decided "Hey, do you know what the best part of Dark Souls was? The CATACOMBS! But this time, with 200% MORE SKELINGTONS! AND LETS PUT A HUGE SKELETON THAT SUMMONS OTHER SKELETONS AS THE BOSS FIGHT! Oh, and BRING BACK ThE BONEWHEELS!" Seriously, did a skeleton hurt you as a child or something *Looks accusingly at miyazaki* ?

Yep, that was "fun". Now I'm to the fabled Boreal Valley and the super cool looking city of Irithyll which is giving me serious Yarnhem vibes(especially on that bridge) but in the Winter(or is that Ash?).

Also, found my way down to Smoldering lake and the The demon ruins. So yeah, Smoldering lake be like "Hey, do you like giant buttfuck sandworms that can shoot lightning? Do you like a guy firing a 3 shot ballastia at you constantly? How about both at the SAME TIME? Well, have I got a zone for you!"

Also, there happens to be a stray demon just chilling in the path to the Smouldering lake despite there being no way he could get into that room or anything useful to do there other then hang with the skeleton squad but you know.

Bravo, Dark Souls. You continue to find new ways to make me both wish to reach the next zone and then regret actually doing so.

No, seriously, Still having fun but "Road Trip from(to?) Hell" is a very apt metaphor here.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I much preferred Uncharted 4 to Uncharted 3. Uncharted 3 is the low water point with a story that's sort of shoddy to begin with and contains an entire section that goes nowhere (no matter how cool the sinking luxury liner set up is) before dropping you into a desert walk that's absolutely that in terms of fun. Uncharted 4 did some weird stuff, but it never went off the deep end in the same way that 3 did for me.
Yeah, as awkward as the retconning of Sam into the Franchise was "Hey Nate, remember that brother you had all along but NEVER MENTIONED EVER BEFORE THIS? Well, he just got out of a Colombian Prison.....(Because incredibly easily debunked story)" it was still very well put together otherwise. The fact Drake also has this whole conflict between "Wanna help my brother", "I miss the adventuring life because a 9-5 job is boring" and "I'm lying to my wife about going on an adventure" which was a damn sight more interesting then "Oh, look, LET'S GO GET MORE SHINIES....and who cares if we cause a bunch of collateral damage to priceless historical landmarks along the way" of the previous games. Also, it was kinda cool to closely tie the whole "Greed is gonna get you killed" theme into both the characters and the pirate backstory. Who would have thought a colony of pirates built with a shiton of stolen loot would end in betrayal and murder?

And as much fun as 3 was, having the whole boat section that exists solely for a set piece kinda ruins any urge I have to replay it. Not even the plane sequence that comes after it can redeem it

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I much preferred Uncharted 4 to Uncharted 3. Uncharted 3 is the low water point with a story that's sort of shoddy to begin with and contains an entire section that goes nowhere (no matter how cool the sinking luxury liner set up is) before dropping you into a desert walk that's absolutely that in terms of fun. Uncharted 4 did some weird stuff, but it never went off the deep end in the same way that 3 did for me.
I'm not exactly singing praises for Uncharted 3, but at least I had some fun with it. Uncharted 4 I didn't. Like I said before, I have a huge dislike for Sam Drake and Nadine.

Last edited: