EA will decide Anthem's fate this week

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
EA has said that, after the successes of Fallen Order and Squadrons, that they intend to take more of a hands-off approach with future developed games. Granted, it is EA saying this, but it would be nice if that happened.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
EA has said that, after the successes of Fallen Order and Squadrons, that they intend to take more of a hands-off approach with future developed games. Granted, it is EA saying this, but it would be nice if that happened.
I like that as well, and to EA's credit, they do seem to be at least TRYING to turn over a new leaf going forward. So we'll see.

Maybe the canning of Anthem is their way of saying, "Alright that didn't work, scrub it let's start something fresh and try again."

Could be good later.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
"Game development is hard. Fortunately gamers are a bunch of suckers who'll throw money at bullshit trailers and roadmaps."

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Condolences to the 5 people still playing and enjoying Anthem.

As for everyone else, hopefully Bioware learned something from this and does better with the next Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Hmm, I have to wonder who actually decided to do this?

I know it was said in Bioware's blog, but did they say it willingly, or was EA the one that forced them to do this?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I know it was said in Bioware's blog, but did they say it willingly, or was EA the one that forced them to do this?
I'd have more respect for them if they made the choice on their own. But the initial report did say that EA was deciding the fate, so probably EA.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
See i knew EA was trying turn a new leaf! That's the spirit EA, do more of this.
Oh, bless your sweet heart! The world needs more of this kind of bright-eyed and innocent optimism!

*Meanwhile, in the real world...*

Given the massive steps into shit that have all but defined EA's business practices in recent memory, the fact that they're "allowing" BioWare to make a single installment of a single franchise single-player focused does not bode well that they're turning over any substantially new leaves. One "allowance" does not mitigate YEARS of their corporate bullshit.

Sorry, I'll take my cynicism elsewhere...

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Silver lining.

I think this might set the expectations a little too high.

Granted, dropping anthem probably means they have no excuse to not focus on ME: Legacy, DA: Direwolf, and the apparent new ME game, but just like with any gaming community, these games will probably hyped to the oblivion, followed by disappointments when the hype is not met.

IMHO, this really just might be make-it-or-break-it for Bioware. EA is probably letting Bioware do this and putting lots of pressure on them.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Granted, dropping anthem probably means they have no excuse to not focus on ME: Legacy, DA: Direwolf, and the apparent new ME game, but just like with any gaming community, these games will probably hyped to the oblivion, followed by disappointments when the hype is not met.

IMHO, this really just might be make-it-or-break-it for Bioware. EA is probably letting Bioware do this and putting lots of pressure on them.
Yeah likely. I mean Bioware was a mess for Anthem and EA is likely going, "Yall got one more shot, make this however you want. But if it is a pile of trash we are going to close it down."

Which in all honestly is fair.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

Exactly. Like, they have it in their head that these live $ervice$ are the future of their bank accounts; one of them failed HARD, so their concession is "Ok, do it your way one more time; if we're not all trillionaires 14 minutes after launch, you're dead, and your corpse will be fed to the fats cats."

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Aw man, I actually liked the bioware 10 wave coop horde side modes.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Silver lining.

Oh thank god.

But, as @FakeSympathy says, this might set expectations too high, and this doesn't instantly make the game good.

Again, Andromeda was single-player only, and so was Inquisition, and both of those games got heaps of criticism. Multiplayer modes detatched from the singleplayer portion of the game don't count.

This is a great step in the right direction (and one that I actually, literally, just laughed at in real life), but there is still a lot of bullshit that needs to be excised before we can return to greatness.