Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Due to the earlier issues with connecting to the servers, the beta has been extended for 2 more days, hurray!

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
I-no looking cool as always, I love how her old boss form super is now a ranbu one, it seems to be replacing her old reversal super. Also surprisingly she still has the note, I guess Anji still has the butterfly so it's not that weird.

Though I do have to say her glides looks much slower lol. I don't think her mixup will be as scary but who knows in the end.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
So the beta ends tomorrow morning at 7am PST, how has everyone's experience with it been so far? I've made it to the celestial floor and near lvl 300, have tons of replays saved to upload, having a blast with Chipp so far XD.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
So the beta ends tomorrow morning at 7am PST, how has everyone's experience with it been so far? I've made it to the celestial floor and near lvl 300, have tons of replays saved to upload, having a blast with Chipp so far XD.
I've seen a few people make the case that it doesn't feel much like Guilty Gear, what do you say to that? (All those people still liked it, mind you.)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I've seen a few people make the case that it doesn't feel much like Guilty Gear, what do you say to that? (All those people still liked it, mind you.)
From what I've seen, feels like a Guilty Gear game to me. It's just a different. I am no GG expert and only played a few here and there, but these are people who are so used to Xrd, they get mad when anything is changed or slightly altered. They'll get used to it.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa

The game is a way huger departure from the series in a lot of ways compared to past new entries, Xrd was way less different from +R for example, mainly stuff like how the gatlings changed and grab now has a whiff animation and almost all hits return you to neutral. They seem to be trying to make this game into a GG that is easy to pick up and play. The biggest issue is just how huge the damage is, which I guess is that way to let people who can't do combos still stand a chance to win, but what it ends up doing is making matches absurdly short and those people who can't combo will just die super fast now as well.

But yeah it's still gg, it just has the feel of "baby's first GG" going for it.

Last edited:

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Oh yeah that final floor thing was fun, you have to win 5 out of 6 games in a row to earn the privilege to stay up there, if you lose twice you get kicked down to floor 10 and you gotta get another winstreak there to get your chance to challenge the celestial floor and the people you fight during it are most likely all gonna be people who have been fighting eachother up there for a while so it's legit hard to get that golden VIP icon and not get kicked out of the lobby any longer. And then you become the gatekeeper kicking people out of heaven lol. Also points/levels are super inflated by winning up there, I was at like nearly lvl 300 (3 billion points) by the time the beta ended and getting all the way up to floor 10 was maybe a third of that, the rest was all just playing in the celestial floor lol.

What's unique about this is that it only gatekeeps good players normally, since if you qualify to floor 10 you can't join any lower floor and bully newbies, but newbies can choose to play in any floor they wish to if they feel up to it, but that's not actually true for the celestial floor since you need to get that winstreak to even see that the floor exists. So at first it feels like it punishes you for being good but if you get really good then it rewards THAT lol.

Also I'm surprised Max is talking about burst awareness as if it's something you hone by being a Strive dev, when bursts have been in the series for over 15 years, and learning to look at the burst gauge and bait bursts is a fundamental of GG. I guess he never knew bursts existed before or never got to the level of thinking ahead enough to include burst-safe combos in his repertoire or something? Either way though, that dev wasn't doing anything that is only doable by being a Strive dev in that video, you just need to have played GG for a bit and you can do the same.

Last edited:

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Ended up compiling some of my replays into a vid. Here's some Chipp action where he's not getting blown up because they don't know how to use him! XD

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
So they actually are delaying the game 2 months to fix the stuff we complained about during the beta. Talk about responsiveness.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So they actually are delaying the game 2 months to fix the stuff we complained about during the beta. Talk about responsiveness.

Was not expecting that. Fine by me; I got plenty of time to play other games then. Guess that means I will be plating RE8 first if I decide to buy the game.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Cool are they going to take the time to make the lobby system actually work?

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Cool are they going to take the time to make the lobby system actually work?
Lobby worked fine more or less, you just gotta understand how to go about using it, which people at low floors and in the park seemed not to. Once I reached floor 9ish there were very few issues and at the celestial floor there was almost no failing to connect.

What you wanna do is just hold square to pull out your sword and just SIT and WAIT. Eventually someone will come to you for a fight. If you get impatient about waiting and keep pulling away your sword and trying to match someone, you'll mess it all up. If you are the impatient sort who wants to challenge people, what you then want to do is look for someone's green speech bubble, which indicates availability. Merely having the sword out doesn't suffice, because as we just established some people are impatient and if they don't find a match in 2 seconds they withdraw their sword, which is an act that has a delay, and if you try to match em during this delay you both get stuck. Basically, patience makes the lobby work just fine. They just need to explain all this to the player better.

All they really need to do is add a rematch button.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
I-no and Anji breakdowns are out!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Maxine happy, but at least he's got room for Monster Hunter Rise now.