The evil threat of Yoga

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
So, I learnt something today. Alabama banned Yoga in 1993, due to it influencing the children in the evils of Hinduism

Anyway, so today Alabama is trying to unban this. Which is great... expect the conservatives still have the same line. Using words like Namaste or the traditional words for Yoga position will corrupt those youngster and create Hindus. Thus, school might be able to do the moves of Yoga but have to rename everything

I don't even understand how this law is at all constitutional, but then I remember 'In God We Trust' is everywhere and just shake my head

Reactions: BrawlMan

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
If this is specifically a banning of using the (arguably religious) terms by a public employee in a school setting, I can kinda get it on the weird technicalities of US separation of Church and State, but otherwise I don’t get it.

Edit: wait, the bill explicitly keeps all of that banned. This is reliant on the idea that stretching is an explicitly religious exercise. This is hilarious.

Reactions: BrawlMan

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Its Alabama. Sorry for the poor bastards that are born there, but its been a failed state since the Civil War. Its the South's South. I'm amazed they even have schools, let alone allow girls to go to them.

Reactions: Ender910 and Hawki

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Not that I'm defending the ban in any way, but is yoga an activity you'd expect to find in schools regardless?

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Not that I'm defending the ban in any way, but is yoga an activity you'd expect to find in schools regardless?
It was my understanding there were like Yoga clubs, girls/boys arrive at school early and can do a little yoga before school in the gym. But that's heresy according to the intellectuals in Alabama, so...

I mean I joke, but I got in trouble at my highschool for practicing black magic because I was reading a Warhammer 40k: Chaos Space Marine codex in the cafeteria, so who knows how crazy the deep south is.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
It's also been banned from physical education (aka gym) classes. At least when I was in grade/high school, our PE classes would rotate units. For 3 weeks we'd do ultimate frisbee; then we'd do weight lifting for 3 weeks; then we'd do volleyball for 3 weeks, etc. Presumably, Alabama lawmakers were terrified of yoga being one of those taught units because it might corrupt the youths. For the record, I personally had to take units such as aerobics and ballroom dancing, so yoga wouldn't be crazy at all. That wasn't in Alabama though.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
Decent for stretching and fairly well developed because of the lengthy history. I could see myself incorporating yoga in PE if I knew anything about yoga or taught PE.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
It should be. Like streching and breathing come with great mental and physical benefits. Like we don't have to do master yogi advanced stuff but beginner routines would be perfect.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
They are doing it more in primary schools at least in Brisbane. They're actually tending to do more of the mediation than the yoga

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
Maybe yoga would have more support there if it was rebranded as "freedom exercises" to improve your aim with your rifle.
I mean, I'd sign up for that class.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Is it not no longer politically correct to throw around "namaste"? My org in college got into trouble once for using it in a publicity campaign.

But yes, yoga is indeed evil. Man should not be made to contort their bodies in such a manner.

Reactions: Hawki

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Is it not no longer politically correct to throw around "namaste"? My org in college got into trouble once for using it in a publicity campaign.
That... sounds very dumb. Namaste is used frequently here without complaints

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
That... sounds very dumb. Namaste is used frequently here without complaints
The complaint came from an Indian person, so we weren't exactly in a position to argue. Felt really bad for all our digital artists, they had to redo all their branding.

Looking at some articles online, I'm guessing it has more to do with people making jokes with it ("namaste-in-bed" for example). It does have some religious meaning to people, as does yoga in general. I can totally understand people getting miffed that their beliefs are being co-opted by western folk who capitalize on it's "exotic"ness to sell their stupid workout routines or scented candles or whatever. Cultural appropriation and all that.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
If this is specifically a banning of using the (arguably religious) terms by a public employee in a school setting, I can kinda get it on the weird technicalities of US separation of Church and State, but otherwise I don’t get it.

Edit: wait, the bill explicitly keeps all of that banned. This is reliant on the idea that stretching is an explicitly religious exercise. This is hilarious.
The part about the religious shit is doubly frustrating, because they have after school programs that are nothing more than christian recruitment programs, and the schools are just fine with that shit going on. I saw some of the propaganda they sent one of my god daughters home with, and it was fucking ridiculous. Despite it being in clear violation of the separation of church and state. But christians have never felt that rule applies to THEM, it's only OTHER religions where that rule applies.

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
Next you'll tell me Mormons are trying to rebel, Video Games Cause violence, Dungeons and Dragons leads you to the Devil's influence, and Batman comic books promote homosexuality.

Yes these are all things people believed in, and in the case of D&D and video games still do.

Frankly I would be the smart ass that would try to get around this by doing scripture verses during these same exercises and rename them after well known Biblical Figures (Jonah being Swallowed by Whale; Marry Rides a Donkey; Pharos's Vision; Danial's Lion's den). See what happens

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So, I learnt something today. Alabama banned Yoga in 1993, due to it influencing the children in the evils of Hinduism

Anyway, so today Alabama is trying to unban this. Which is great... expect the conservatives still have the same line. Using words like Namaste or the traditional words for Yoga position will corrupt those youngster and create Hindus. Thus, school might be able to do the moves of Yoga but have to rename everything

I don't even understand how this law is at all constitutional, but then I remember 'In God We Trust' is everywhere and just shake my head
Some needs to tell them that Hindus aren't Muslims, so maybe they'll be less terrified of it.

Also, that Cancel Culture is Bad now, per conservatives, so we need to stop canceling/banning things, also per conservatives. We can start with Yoga and move up from there.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
Some needs to tell them that Hindus aren't Muslims, so maybe they'll be less terrified of it.
You're right, but many would consider Hindus to be "Pagans" which is just as bad to them, if not worse.

Also, that Cancel Culture is Bad now, per conservatives, so we need to stop canceling/banning things, also per conservatives. We can start with Yoga and move up from there.
Fine with me.

Reactions: Dalisclock