The evil threat of Yoga

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
So, does this mean they can't practice martial arts in Alabama other than boxing? Because most of the martial arts from Japan, depending on how traditional or philosophically aligned they are, have a fairly large spiritual component.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I am in favor of this, but I would ban the fascist BJP instead.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Some needs to tell them that Hindus aren't Muslims, so maybe they'll be less terrified of it.

Also, that Cancel Culture is Bad now, per conservatives, so we need to stop canceling/banning things, also per conservatives. We can start with Yoga and move up from there.
Their probably mistaking Hindis for Sikhs

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
So, does this mean they can't practice martial arts in Alabama other than boxing? Because most of the martial arts from Japan, depending on how traditional or philosophically aligned they are, have a fairly large spiritual component.
I like to believe the schools in Alabama aren't practicing any martial arts. I don't think cultural origin is the issue there.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I like to believe the schools in Alabama aren't practicing any martial arts. I don't think cultural origin is the issue there.
My emphasis.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
My emphasis.
Ummm....ok. I like to believe the schools in Alabama aren't practicing any martial arts. I don't think have a fairly large spiritual component is the issue there.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
To be fair, it probably won't be long till they realise there's more in common between them than first assumed...

Maybe they were right to ban it after all, don't want more people running around claiming they can stretch, bend and meditate their illness away.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Why would that be a big deal? I did Aikido in high school, and the class was run by one of my high school teachers and was a registered school activity.
The be curt, the martial part would be the problem. I'm not aware of these things existing in US school systems, typically martial arts are done in independent facilities on your own time.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
That's like banning Halloween because it leads to paganism or something like that.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
The be curt, the martial part would be the problem. I'm not aware of these things existing in US school systems, typically martial arts are done in independent facilities on your own time.
I doubt think most schools want to take the risk of injuries.

On the other hand, they also do American football.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
I doubt think most schools want to take the risk of injuries.

On the other hand, they also do American football.
Wrestling is also a common sport at US schools with hockey and lacrosse being available depending on the area. Something like Karate wouldn't be entirely out of place.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Did Taekwondo for a couple of years at the sports hall at my school. Affer hours though.

I also got WAY more hurt playing football than Taekwondo. Side note: I also learnt a lot about the history of it and comparing it to the history of other martial arts. And did spirtiual stuff to calm the mind

Reactions: Revnak

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Maybe they were right to ban it after all, don't want more people running around claiming they can stretch, bend and meditate their illness away.
Oh trust me, as someone living in the state in question, at the time, it had NOTHING to do with "wanting to make sure our children didn't falsely claim healing of injuries through yoga" . It was entirely about the evil, satanic yoga mysticism stuff. "If it's not christianity, it's satan." That is the stance around here. I mean most of the fuckwads that pushed for that often DO believe in magical healing, but only if it's christian healing.

I actually had this happen to me when I was in college. I was sitting out in the break area, smoking, talking to a friend. It was near the end of the semester, and we were looking at the class registry for next, to see what we would sign up for. I just happened to glance down and saw a "Religion" category, with only 2 actual courses listed, and they were....you guessed it. Old Testament and New Testament studies. Nothing else. I commented, idly to my friend, that "they shouldn't call it a Religion category, it's just christianity, they should just label it christian studies, or allow other courses to be taught. And a person next to me, NOT in the fucking conversation mind you, turns to me and says quite firmly, with a lot of that righteous anger. "Well maybe they don't do that because we don't worship SATAN like some people apparently do!" and then stormed off.

So yeah, if it's Alabama, and it's at ALL related to religion in ANY way, in an official, governmental capacity, the answer is always "christianity good, everything else is devil" You know Waterboy's Mama from the movie Waterboy? Yeah she's not an exaggeration really, well in one glaring way. The only thing NOT of the devil around here, is american, college, football. That is pretty much the secondary form of religion around here.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And a person next to me, NOT in the fucking conversation mind you, turns to me and says quite firmly, with a lot of that righteous anger. "Well maybe they don't do that because we don't worship SATAN like some people apparently do!" and then stormed off.
Conversation eavesdroppers almost always tend to be bitches who think the world revolves around them or beliefs. The moment you put holes or big holes in their arguement they either extend the goal post or storm off, because they know they have no evidence and storm off.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Conversation eavesdroppers almost always tend to be bitches who think the world revolves around them or beliefs. The moment you put holes or big holes in their arguement they either extend the goal post or storm off, because they know they have no evidence and storm off.
Oh, is that why people on here jump into an argument halfway through just to call me names and then not respond again?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Still ignoring you tstorm; get over it. So quit wasting your breath. Not my fault you rarely ever back up your arguments.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Or get all huffy and start painting themselves as the victims in the equation.