#Boycottgenshin and #Boycottgenshinimpact start trending on twitter but not over lootboxes or monetisation

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The whole "they are South East Asian not black people" becomes hilarious when you realize that racism is very prominent from Chinese, Korean and Japanese people against South East Asians. To the point that a running (kinda politically incorrect joke) joke is that South East Asians are Asia's black people and Mexicans.
It's funny you say that. Because of that racism, the inclusion of east-asian inspired characters basically proves how non-racist the game actually is.

I don't understand these Twitter warriors sometimes. Like when they complained about Kingdom Come Deliverance being nothing but white people in 15th century Bolivia or whatever fucking white ass nation that game was set in. Or the Witcher being Fantasy Medieval Poland-town.

Randomly stick PoC's into games like that is called Tokenism and last i checked nobody liked that shit either.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Randomly stick PoC's into games like that is called Tokenism and last i checked nobody liked that shit either.
It's an interesting perspective to call them PoC's when this is a Chinese company and I assume a fairly diverse group Asian developers. To them, it would just be people. But anyway, I don't think its totally fair to call it "randomly". The nations of whatever the world of Genshin is called are all clearly based on specific cultures. If they decided to base a region on say Africa, then populate it with white peeps...

OT: What a mess. There doesn't seem to be any clear sides on the issues, or proof for that matter, so I'll just dismiss this as another Twitter fuckfest. I have many friends who invest a shit ton of time into this game and I haven't heard any complaints (of this sort) from them, so I doubt there's much basis to any of the claims. I bet there are genuinely some people out there drumming up controversy in the hopes Mihoyo will send out some free Primogems to calm people down.

But yes, fuck China and their companies.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
It's an interesting perspective to call them PoC's when this is a Chinese company and I assume a fairly diverse group Asian developers.
I just used that term in a broad sense, because it's applicable to any game dev not just whoever the hell makes Genshin. Different countries obviously don't use are Woke terminology in that regard and just consider them people as you said.

I agree this is just Twitter being stupid as per usual. Which is fueled by companies that bend the knee and change things when these tweetbozos get up in arms about nonsense. I don't think Genshin will do that because I don't think they give a fuck. But if this was Blizzard or something, they would likely make some sort of change which only serves to feed Twitters hate-boners for the next thing they can fuck with.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
The hilarious part is that the defense is "this isn't racism because you thought they were black but they are really SEAs!" when, in fact, Chinese people tend to be really, really racist against SEAs. Thus making any case about problematic stereotyping of those characters stronger in the process.
They're anime characters from a fantasy world.

Off topic: When you and your wife got married did one of you change your last name to that of the other or do you both still have your original last names?

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
I don't understand these Twitter warriors sometimes.
Well there's your first problem right there: you're trying to understand people flocking to a medium that is designed to preclude nuance and dumb down thoughts to 280 characters or less. Hence why I jokingly refer to people making tweets as "twits". The platform is designed for emotive soundbites, not thought out and well elucidated arguments.

I find the best philosophy with Twitter arguments is to assume that if anything they were saying was worth listening to, I'd be hearing about it from sources other than Twitter, and those sources will be better informed than those signal boosting it on Twitter.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
It's funny you say that. Because of that racism, the inclusion of east-asian inspired characters basically proves how non-racist the game actually is.
"Look at me, proving how not racist I am by putting racist caricatures of other cultures in my game as canon fodder, what are you even complaining about?"
I just used that term in a broad sense, because it's applicable to any game dev not just whoever the hell makes Genshin. Different countries obviously don't use are Woke terminology in that regard and just consider them people as you said.

I agree this is just Twitter being stupid as per usual. Which is fueled by companies that bend the knee and change things when these tweetbozos get up in arms about nonsense. I don't think Genshin will do that because I don't think they give a fuck. But if this was Blizzard or something, they would likely make some sort of change which only serves to feed Twitters hate-boners for the next thing they can fuck with.
I'll remember that argument whenever you complain about a thing I think is stupid.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
The people complaining about this aren't Japanese/Chinese/Korean or Southeast Asian and are assuming the dark skinned characters are black skinned people of African decent. So I'm not sure how something that's irrelevant makes this hilarious.
A lot of western weebs using this argument as a defense for...lots of stuff donkt tend to actually pay attention when Japanese/Chinese/Korean/SE Asian people make these complaints because said western weebs don't, you know, speak the language or follow the relevant news.

Y'all are in a bubble

Reactions: Buyetyen

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
A lot of western weebs using this argument as a defense for...lots of stuff donkt tend to actually pay attention when Japanese/Chinese/Korean/SE Asian people make these complaints because said western weebs don't, you know, speak the language or follow the relevant news.

Y'all are in a bubble
Unseen Japan doesn't count considering who they actually are.

So ... can you play this in a hot tub or ...?
Is your phone water proof?
If yes then yeh it's on mobile too.
If not then you still can but you accept the risk of breaking your phone.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Look at me, proving how not racist I am by putting racist caricatures of other cultures in my game as canon fodder, what are you even complaining about?"
What is the point of this irrelevant mockery?

It doesnt fit the thread or the topic.

It doesnt even fit my point.

So what the fuck are you even trying to say?

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Funny I am against the boycott, but I stopped myself from spending money on it so consequently, I may as well be part of it.

Also to those that saw my post about Fallout NV's Sierra Madre; It's letting go.

I wouldn't spend money on the Childe/Rosaria banner, Eula will be coming, and so will other hot characters in the future, you can't collect them all unless you whale for them. Oh, and it's not just sexy women, there are also small children, sexy men/husbandos, and femboys.
I still play and might still spend money on it. It is technically a good game compared to certain other 2020 releases i am still kinda disappointed about. But i am not a gambler and won't ever throw money to the gacha part. But it also has optrions that are more similar to classic subscription.

Not particularly interested in Childe or Rosaria. I guess both are powerful and new characters are nice, but roleplaying wise i don't like either
I don't understand these Twitter warriors sometimes. Like when they complained about Kingdom Come Deliverance being nothing but white people in 15th century Bolivia or whatever fucking white ass nation that game was set in.
In principle i don't disagree. But mixing up Bolivia and Bohemia ... they are not even on the same continent.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
I didn't even play the game, so I wasn't exactly sure where it was set.
Well, you knew it was not set not in a modern South American mostly non-white country.

But i mostly joked with that complaint. It is forgivable to mix up small countries on other continents, especially when some of them don't even exist under that name anymore. I just found it slightly amusing that you wrote about a 15th century white Bolivia.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I still play and might still spend money on it. It is technically a good game compared to certain other 2020 releases i am still kinda disappointed about. But i am not a gambler and won't ever throw money to the gacha part. But it also has optrions that are more similar to classic subscription.

Not particularly interested in Childe or Rosaria. I guess both are powerful and new characters are nice, but roleplaying wise i don't like either
In principle i don't disagree. But mixing up Bolivia and Bohemia ... they are not even on the same continent.
But they keep releasing temporary content. The tower defense and those minigames were perfect for permanent features in the game. There's not anything to do but to keep doing commissions, leveling up characters and artifacts, I am so bored with fighting the same enemies over, and over again.

In fact, the only reason I even play the game is due to the fact that Tectone and Mtash keep releasing videos, and that kind of pushes me back into the game.