“Dragon Man” Skull Adds New Twist to Evolutionary Theory

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
For such an enticing name, the actual skull is far less interesting than it makes it out to be. Though it's to be expected of journalists.
I'm frankly dumbfounded they didn't use the word "baffled" as that's been the go to word for "something scientists don't know yet" for decades. Because they love how it undermines the validity of scientific discovery, implying all these scientists are just blundering about in lab coats, with no clue what's going on around them.

I guess maybe they are evolving their language to dumbfounded

Also that's usually how it goes with actual scientific discoveries. The tiny details are where the big things are. But people who don't have any clue how any of the stuff works, expect things like horns and ridges, or alien limbs or whatever.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
For such an enticing name, the actual skull is far less interesting than it makes it out to be. Though it's to be expected of journalists.
I was also sad to see he didn't look much like a Dragon.

I mean, it's another human subspecies that didn't make it. That's interesting but hardly game changing. We already know about Neanderthals and Denisovans existing alongside our own branch of humanity, so this is basically "oh, another group that probably has DNA floating around in our collective genetic code. Cool".

Especially when they use the term "Creates doubts about human evolution", which suggests Human Evolution might not be real as opposed to the more accurate "Human evolution may be more complex then we imagined".

Last edited:

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Gotta say I love your constant fucking bashing of journalists, especially when they just make up a term on the spot as clickbai...

"The specific name for H. longi comes from the modern province (rather than the city, Harbin) from which the specimen was discovered, Heilongjiang (which was known as Binjiang Province of Manchukuo in 1933). The literal meaning of Hei-long-jiang (黑龍江) in Mandarin is "Black Dragon River", hence the nickname "Dragon Man" (simplified Chinese: ; traditional Chinese: )."

Oh wait, a simple wikipedia check finds you don't know what you are talking about... nevermind.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Gotta say I love your constant fucking bashing of journalists, especially when they just make up a term on the spot as clickbai...

"The specific name for H. longi comes from the modern province (rather than the city, Harbin) from which the specimen was discovered, Heilongjiang (which was known as Binjiang Province of Manchukuo in 1933). The literal meaning of Hei-long-jiang (黑龍江) in Mandarin is "Black Dragon River", hence the nickname "Dragon Man" (simplified Chinese: ; traditional Chinese: )."

Oh wait, a simple wikipedia check finds you don't know what you are talking about... nevermind.
That's some good journalism you did there! Too bad the journalists that put this piece out didn't put it just like that, and instead went with "[researchers] make the provocative suggestion that we are closely related to Dragons". They bury the information that it's not necessarily anything new, just an exceptionally preserved specimen, 11 paragraphs down, and offer no explanation at all as to why it's called Dragon Man. Like, you see a headline that they've found the skull of Dragon Man, the single most curious thing about the headline is the name itself, and it gets no explanation.

The author didn't make up the name. The author did, however, write clickbait garbage.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
That's some good journalism you did there! Too bad the journalists that put this piece out didn't put it just like that, and instead went with "[researchers] make the provocative suggestion that we are closely related to Dragons". They bury the information that it's not necessarily anything new, just an exceptionally preserved specimen, 11 paragraphs down, and offer no explanation at all as to why it's called Dragon Man. Like, you see a headline that they've found the skull of Dragon Man, the single most curious thing about the headline is the name itself, and it gets no explanation.

The author didn't make up the name. The author did, however, write clickbait garbage.
That's some good reading comprehension you have. Able to decipher what the actual facts around the discovery are from reading the whole article instead of reading just the headline. Too bad ALL readers can't do that.

Yeah, its clickbaity. And in fluff pieces about celebrity fashion or entertainment I'd say there isn't a good side (other than commercial for the publishing entity) to writing it that way. But in a piece that's scientific in nature, what's the worst that happens? Someone clicks based on a title, and learns something they didn't care about it, and then goes and complains about the what... 2 minutes they "wasted" learning something. "Aww, poor baby... did the bad man MAKE you learn something you didn't want to." Sorry, color me unimpressed with that "tragedy." Or, maybe someone reads it and learns something new or it sparks an interest in the subject. Seems like a good enough outcome even if the other potential outcome may "waste" a couple of minutes of someone's "valuable time" (that they are spending clicking around on the internet anyway.)

Reactions: BrawlMan

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
But in a piece that's scientific in nature, what's the worst that happens?
What's the worst that can happen from a misleading scientific article? Imma go with anti-vaccination movements. Just as an example.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
What's the worst that can happen from a misleading scientific article? Imma go with anti-vaccination movements. Just as an example.
Truly spoken like someone who has no blinding idea how anti-vaxx movements were birthed, nor how they propagate. 🙄

Last edited:

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I'd go so far as to agree with you there, but it isn't an apples to apples comparison in this case. To equate it to anti-vaxer bs, the journalist here would have had to GO WITH and double down on the "half man half dragon" claims. Thus spreading bad science. And frankly I don't see that happening in this instance, minus some incredibly bad reading comprehension on the part of the reader. And speaking from experience, you can't write everything assuming your reader has a kindergarten level understanding of the world.

What triggered me here was a blanket condemnation about a group I belong to. I'm not saying there aren't bad examples of harmful clickbait out there. Sure there are, I could list lots of them. This just doesn't seem to be a particularly awful example, when the worst case scenario is some reflexively pissed off person wasting a couple of minutes reading an article getting huffy enough to complain about it to strangers on the internet. Especially when the best case scenario is someone being inquisitive enough to learn more about paleoanthropology.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

As Tstorm already pointed out, it's the clickbait titles and bullshit filing that I take umbrage with. No one outside of academia would care about this article if not for the title being worded the way it is so as to get curiosity clicks. It's also not really bashing when it's plain facts. Journalism is a little bit of facts with a lot of fluff stuffed in it to fill out the required space for an article and making sure to hit all the important parts of whatever political faction or sub-faction they support. It's not even like in the old days where someone had to at least be sent out to a location to get information, sometimes dangerous locations, even out of wartime, now it's just reporting tweets someone made or restating what another journalist said or writing some godawful opinion piece like the news is their own personal blog.

I have no problems with you personally, you've been a pretty level headed and civil person on the forums, I have no reason to think you are personally a bad person, but that doesn't change that your chosen profession is shit.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
So...its a Neanderthal tribe found in a region they weren't previously known to be in. Sure, cool, hardly rewriters evolution, just adds an addendum to Neanderthal tribe locations circa 146,000 BC. And despite my love of Skyrim, no DragonBorn were found in the making of this article.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
As Tstorm already pointed out, it's the clickbait titles and bullshit filing that I take umbrage with. No one outside of academia would care about this article if not for the title being worded the way it is so as to get curiosity clicks. It's also not really bashing when it's plain facts. Journalism is a little bit of facts with a lot of fluff stuffed in it to fill out the required space for an article and making sure to hit all the important parts of whatever political faction or sub-faction they support. It's not even like in the old days where someone had to at least be sent out to a location to get information, sometimes dangerous locations, even out of wartime, now it's just reporting tweets someone made or restating what another journalist said or writing some godawful opinion piece like the news is their own personal blog.

I have no problems with you personally, you've been a pretty level headed and civil person on the forums, I have no reason to think you are personally a bad person, but that doesn't change that your chosen profession is shit.
That's media, not journalism.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Wait... are we worried about clickbait titles. That's been standard for over 200 years and we have definitively proven that you will not sell news without them.

I'm fine if people are cranky about a headline lying. If you want to get rid of clickbait, you need to change society. Because it's what the market wants.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Wait... are we worried about clickbait titles. That's been standard for over 200 years and we have definitively proven that you will not sell news without them.

I'm fine if people are cranky about a headline lying. If you want to get rid of clickbait, you need to change society. Because it's what the market wants.
To be fair I think the anger is less the "Dragon Man rewrites history!" claim, as its obvious embellished, but that the article itself never mentions its a Neanderthal skull named after a Dragon River, and that's the origin of its name. The article reads more like an article written based off another article, and less like one written with the intent to inform. Like the article seems to go out of its way not to explain the actual Dragon Man fossil or origin or significance.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
To be fair I think the anger is less the "Dragon Man rewrites history!" claim, as its obvious embellished, but that the article itself never mentions its a Neanderthal skull named after a Dragon River, and that's the origin of its name. The article reads more like an article written based off another article, and less like one written with the intent to inform. Like the article seems to go out of its way not to explain the actual Dragon Man fossil or origin or significance.
Yeah that would have been helpful

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
To be fair I think the anger is less the "Dragon Man rewrites history!" claim, as its obvious embellished, but that the article itself never mentions its a Neanderthal skull named after a Dragon River, and that's the origin of its name.
It's not a Neanderthal. There is some speculation (mentioned in the article) that it might be a Denisovan.

Either way, it would be an incredible find. Because even if it's not a whole new species, there are only a very, very small number of confirmed Denisovan fossils.