#003 - Brunch

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
5,147
0
0
A.K.B. said:
Zombie_Fish said:
Wait, if Erin hasn't left the apartment for at least two years, did she just buy a ton of weed a few years ago?
she grows it in that heap of unread paper mail ~
Also Mushrooms. Maybe she is the reason of the Mushroom Zombies from the "Last of US". She will become the First one.
 

chadachada123

New member
Jan 17, 2011
2,310
0
0
hentropy said:
Last comic the plot hole was where she got her groceries, NOW it's how she gets her drugs if she never goes outside or talks to anyone. Even a Y2K massive drug stash would have run out by now. Being a hikikomori can be a surprising amount of work.
Nah, she could easily grow enough for personal use. Doesn't take much space at all, and UV lights are easy to find and (relatively) cheap.
 

NerAnima

New member
Jun 29, 2013
103
0
0
SupahGamuh said:
Has no one considered this might not be the Erin we all know?
I think so, but it might not be; it could be several years after Erin gets fired because her boss is in an extra bitchy mood, or it could just be a parallel dimension. I am willing to bet, however, that it is at least Erin in some shape or form. Whether it's the Critical Miss Erin, I couldn't tell you.

Edit: If that makes no sense, I apologize, I have a habit of doing that.
 

BX3

New member
Mar 7, 2011
659
0
0
Tarfeather said:
Am I the only one who would expect a drug addict who's been shut in for several years to be a lot less.. well-groomed?
She has slightly disheveled hair, bags under the eyes and is perpetually in her pajamas.

In cartoon-o-vision, she's essentially a bum.

Xsjadoblayde said:
Ohhhkay it seems a lot of peeps regard one bong hit, as the sign of a drug addict.

They also don't realize some dealers deliver to ppls door.

They also don't realize crack cannot be burnt by a naked flame, hence the crackpipe being glass. (As far as i know)
SSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
 

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
15,305
0
0
Zak757 said:
Was it a deliberate choice that your Sonic expy is an endangered animal?
We noticed the symbolism later on, but we chose a Red Panda because of the awful 90s pun we could make. Pretty lucky though, right?

BX3 said:
She has slightly disheveled hair, bags under the eyes and is perpetually in her pajamas.

In cartoon-o-vision, she's essentially a bum.
There's an interesting conversation to be had about the representation of women in fiction and how "gross' they're actually allowed to be before the audience disaproves. It is odd that the go to image for a "slobby" woman is that she eats a lot of ice cream.
 

Grimh

New member
Feb 11, 2009
673
0
0
It is the most important meal of the day.

Man, didn't expect that people would have such a strong reaction to her smoking weed.
 

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
4,585
0
0
NerAnima said:
SupahGamuh said:
Has no one considered this might not be the Erin we all know?
I think so, but it might not be; it could be several years after Erin gets fired because her boss is in an extra bitchy mood, or it could just be a parallel dimension. I am willing to bet, however, that it is at least Erin in some shape or form. Whether it's the Critical Miss Erin, I couldn't tell you.

Edit: If that makes no sense, I apologize, I have a habit of doing that.
They're not the same Erin. Grey explains this in the Patreon video for Erin Dies Alone:

 

Darmy647

New member
Sep 28, 2012
225
0
0
its an interesting different take, but i admit I myself can not read this much more. I already struggle with depression a lot, and seeing erin like this...I cant really accept or deal all that much. It pisses me off too much. Great quality though. Enjoy for those that dig it.
 

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
4,953
6
13
BX3 said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
Ohhhkay it seems a lot of peeps regard one bong hit, as the sign of a drug addict.

They also don't realize some dealers deliver to ppls door.

They also don't realize crack cannot be burnt by a naked flame, hence the crackpipe being glass. (As far as i know)
SSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
Oops! It's scribbled out now, see? ...Nobody will ever know.

Darmy647 said:
its an interesting different take, but i admit I myself can not read this much more. I already struggle with depression a lot, and seeing erin like this...I cant really accept or deal all that much. It pisses me off too much. Great quality though. Enjoy for those that dig it.
I understand as i got a few related issues to resolve too. Sometimes humour and laughter can ease things a little. Making light out of a dark part of life, it takes practice but it really can help a shadowed perspective feel less oppressive. I wish you the best either way :)
 

Aiedail256

New member
Jan 21, 2011
197
0
0
Happyninja42 said:
...she was established as already being bat shit crazy long before she ever tried pot.
Based on my (admittedly sketchy) understanding of mental illness, the fact that she knows she's hallucinating means that the word "crazy" is even less applicable to Erin than to most real-life sufferers.

Happyninja42 said:
A shutin who isn't taking her schizophrenia medication...
It was already established in CM that all her medication does is make the hallucinations weirder. And yes that's technically a different character but I'm pretty sure they just have to say that for legal reasons. The way it was presented in the Patreon video, combined with their stated reasons for making this a Patreon-supported comic in the first place, make that pretty clear.
 

Darks63

New member
Mar 8, 2010
1,562
0
0
hentropy said:
Last comic the plot hole was where she got her groceries, NOW it's how she gets her drugs if she never goes outside or talks to anyone. Even a Y2K massive drug stash would have run out by now. Being a hikikomori can be a surprising amount of work.
In states were medical MJ is legal you can actually get home deliveries of weed. I have family member whop has it home delivered once every month.
 

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
862
0
0
I am really, really enjoying this new strip.

Not the most insightful or thought provoking post to add to the thread, but I just wanted to give the written equivalent of a thumbs up to the team.

Looking forward to more.
 
Aug 31, 2012
1,774
0
0
Xsjadoblayde said:
They also don't realise crack cannot be burnt by a naked flame, hence the crackpipe being glass. (As far as i know)
If your crack doesn't burn in a naked flame, you've been sold a lump of quartz. The reason a lot of crack pipes are glass is that it doesn't conduct heat very well and for the crack addict on the go you want a small concealable pipe that isn't going to burn your fingers every time you use it. It's also easier to see inside to scrape out all the residue.




PS: Don't do crack.
 

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 7, 2020
8,577
2,934
118
Aiedail256 said:
Based on my (admittedly sketchy) understanding of mental illness, the fact that she knows she's hallucinating means that the word "crazy" is even less applicable to Erin than to most real-life sufferers.
Sorry no, the fact that she knows they don't exist, doesn't alleviate the fact that she still interacts with them. Knowing you are mentally unstable doesn't suddenly make you stable. By interacting with them, you give them a legitimacy in your head. The fact that she is actually even seeing them means she's got such an extreme level of mental instability as to be troubling. I know this is just how Erin is in the comic, and everyone accepts it, but if we're going to compare her to a real life sufferer, she's still way off her rocker. This is from my 20+ years of living with a schizophrenic in my family.

Aiedail256 said:
It was already established in CM that all her medication does is make the hallucinations weirder.
Which just means she's clearly not taking the right meds. But hey, the artists want her crazy no matter what for comic reasons, fine.


Sorry, I'm probably not very impartial to this strip, as all I see are the exploits of a nutcase girl who is tolerated by those around her, and who are too afraid to actually get her committed like she should be. Considering some of the stuff she's done that is played for laughs, I've witnessed from the real version of something similar, that ended up as anything but funny, I admit I'm biased. But even discounting her mental instability, I don't find her aggressive, beligerent, bitchy attitude all that funny. She's just a ***** that needs to get over herself and stop shitting on all the people who tolerate her as a "friend".

But hey, maybe I just don't find the CM artist's sense of humor all that funny. *shrugs*
 

Mykal Stype

New member
Dec 24, 2012
60
0
0
Aiedail256 said:
Happyninja42 said:
...she was established as already being bat shit crazy long before she ever tried pot.
Based on my (admittedly sketchy) understanding of mental illness, the fact that she knows she's hallucinating means that the word "crazy" is even less applicable to Erin than to most real-life sufferers.
I used to think that too because they mention it in movies a lot, but people who hallucinate often know they have a problem and can often tell what's real and what's not. There's obviously the really gone ones that you see on the street or in hospitals, but people with mental disorders aren't dumbasses (usually), so they know that if there's an elephant that only they see, the elephant isn't real.
 

FPLOON

Your #1 Source for the Dino Porn
Jul 10, 2013
12,531
0
0
McMarbles said:
And she sees imaginary creatures? I'm SHOCKED!
I know, right? I thought the weed was SUPPOSE to make him go away!
 

Reasonable Atheist

New member
Mar 6, 2012
287
0
0
According to this thread, i am a drug addict. My bong is not even home made, and has a double percolator. Does that make me a double drug addict?

Also, smoking weed does not make you see imaginary cartoon characters. Psylosibin mushrooms do though, maybe she had a shot of lemon tech before brunch.
 

cricket chirps

New member
Apr 15, 2009
467
0
0
awesomeClaw said:
That was jarring.

Granted, we all knew Erin was a peculiar girl, but I didn' take her for a fuckin´ drug addict.
yea, oddly enough, i'm far less interested in following "her story"/"the comic" now. :/ can't sympathize or empathize with the protagonist now.