$1 Billion Couldn't Overthrow WoW, Activision CEO Says

Dark Wingstalker

Nov 2, 2007
i miss star wars galaxies. Now that was a brilliant game.

"But wait, Star wars galaxies is still around!!"

NO. THEY LOBOTIMISED IT =[

Frederf

Nov 5, 2007
I plan to destroy society with an MMO that can be played on a handheld device with wireless Internet.

I think people play WoW for the same reason American's play football, because their friends do, their father did, it's what they do. You can invent the best sport in the world but alone it's not going to be much fun. You could make the best sportscar on Earth but rich people are still going to buy Ferarris.

If I played Star Wars Online I'd want to walk through a world filled with Star Wars characters, but that's not going to happen. Instead you walk through a world of 13 year olds with Internet addictions and no grasp of the English language.

Endgame81

Nov 28, 2009
firemonk3y said:
Additionally, new players are going to look at the level cap rising steadily, and not be willing to go through 20 days of gruelling gameplay to get to the content that actually interested them.
this will not be a factor, leveling has been in the past and will be again adjusted to speed up the leveling experience to compensate for the aditional levels. Outland for instance, you dont get much beyond the second zone before your high enough to move onto the northrend content.

On topic: the problem is, folks arent interested in moving onto the same old shtick in a different game, and why would we after putting so much time and effort into wow. the only way wows dominance will come to an end is when something vastly different comes along imo

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Endgame81 said:
firemonk3y said:
Additionally, new players are going to look at the level cap rising steadily, and not be willing to go through 20 days of gruelling gameplay to get to the content that actually interested them.
this will not be a factor, leveling has been in the past and will be again adjusted to speed up the leveling experience to compensate for the aditional levels. Outland for instance, you dont get much beyond the second zone before your high enough to move onto the northrend content.

On topic: the problem is, folks arent interested in moving onto the same old shtick in a different game, and why would we after putting so much time and effort into wow. the only way wows dominance will come to an end is when something vastly different comes along imo
you Sir , are a Necromancer ;P

I like that.

To Topic. I have to agreee returntonull's two year old posts, that it is all about ideas. I personally cant stand WoW longer than 2 month in a row, so i am quite resistent against its curse, but i guess that now, wow is slowly moving into spaces, where it really can lose lots of people over time.
I know we got Cataclysm at hand, and as some lucky one who was part of Beta, i can tell that Cataclysm is 1) More than just an expansion 2) the perfect moment for new Twinks and new Players 3) Confusing for endgame characters that do give a sh*t about the backround.
But still, i got my 2 month of beta, i perhaps will start again playing fall next year.
What i wanted to say was, even with the most interesting addon till now, i dont think that wow will go on forever, the way it is getting easier and easier makes it hard to keep going on for a lot of people. Everyone is just looking at endgame content, even if that is the least interesting part of the game, so that they could just include a +80 lvls button if they dont thing its is worth to play the levels below.
Even more younger gamers will be attracted by this, which will keep the vicious circle going on and on, the older ones leaving, the younger ones coming and the young ones are only one "awesome" trailer from changing to a new game.

Endgame81

Nov 28, 2009
Fetzenfisch said:
Endgame81 said:
firemonk3y said:

you Sir , are a Necromancer ;P

I like that.

To Topic. I have to agreee returntonull's two year old posts, that it is all about ideas. I personally cant stand WoW longer than 2 month in a row, so i am quite resistent against its curse, but i guess that now, wow is slowly moving into spaces, where it really can lose lots of people over time.
I know we got Cataclysm at hand, and as some lucky one who was part of Beta, i can tell that Cataclysm is 1) More than just an expansion 2) the perfect moment for new Twinks and new Players 3) Confusing for endgame characters that do give a sh*t about the backround.
But still, i got my 2 month of beta, i perhaps will start again playing fall next year.
What i wanted to say was, even with the most interesting addon till now, i dont think that wow will go on forever, the way it is getting easier and easier makes it hard to keep going on for a lot of people. Everyone is just looking at endgame content, even if that is the least interesting part of the game, so that they could just include a +80 lvls button if they dont thing its is worth to play the levels below.
Even more younger gamers will be attracted by this, which will keep the vicious circle going on and on, the older ones leaving, the younger ones coming and the young ones are only one "awesome" trailer from changing to a new game.
damn, its like 3am in the morning for me, i blame fatigue for my necromantic tendancies.

Caradinist

Nov 19, 2009
Endgame81 said:
damn, its like 3am in the morning for me, i blame fatigue for my necromantic tendancies.
Quite the Necromancer.

One thing that kind of interests me in this old article is that, when this was posted, Bobby Kotick wasn't widely known by the Internet then. So if this was posted today, there would be hundreds of replies saying "BOBBY KOTICK RUINS EVERYTHING" or poorly made .gifs depicting him with the Emperor Palpatine getup.

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
People just play this game out of habit now... it's a recognised name, and people will always want to be part of the crowd.

If quality was in any way relevent to popularity, then there would be a ton of games better known and more played.

People are stupid..they are either sheep, or totally oblivious to quality.

Just because WOW is played by millions of people doesn't actually mean it's a game worthy of anyone's money... people just tend to have more money than brains, or taste.