1 in 10 People Can't See in 3D, Says Eye Expert

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
1 in 10 People Can't See in 3D, Says Eye Expert

Dharmesh Patel, chairman of The Eyecare Trust, says 3D images can cause headaches and vision problems in a significant portion of the population.

If your biggest barrier to playing games and watching movies in 3D is having to buy a new television, then consider yourself lucky, as research suggests that around 1 in 10 people can't actually see 3D images, and could potentially suffer some discomfort if they try.

"About 12 per cent have 3D vision problems [in the UK] and you'll find a similar percentage worldwide," said Patel. "3D is appearing everywhere and there's loads of people complaining that they can't see it. There will be people who have not attended an eye examination in years and are probably unaware they have a lazy eye or something like that."

"Some people won't even know why they can't see it. Sometimes something can be done, but it depends on the individual case," he added.

"I don't think there are any long-term negative impacts. But it can create really bad headaches and aches behind the eyes," Patel said. "For these six million people [in the UK], it's like taking the 3D glasses off, making everything all blurry. You can't see the image and that causes headaches, eye-strain and blurred vision."

It's hard to say what, if any, effect will have on the growing trend of 3D media, because visual impairments of this kind have nothing to do with demographics or target markets, although at this early stage, anyone investing thousands of dollars in a 3D capable television is probably already going to know they enjoy 3D media. As long as 3D remains an as optional extra that people can take advantage of if they want to - and there's no reason to think that will change any time soon - then it's reasonable to think that the impact will be minimal.

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/39930/Six-million-Brits-cant-see-in-3D]

PoweD

Mar 26, 2009
My sister couldn't keep the 3d glasses,so she would remove them every 15 minutes

RaphaelsRedemption

Eats With Her Mouth Full
May 3, 2010
Oh, I knew I struggled with 3D images for ages. I don't think I have a problem seeing 3D in real life (I mean, I study 2D and 3D animation, and I can always tell the difference). Its the 3D glasses and stuff. For me, and I have focussing issues requiring I wear multifocal glasses, the 3D gadgets for movies just hurt. I cannot focus correctly for it to line up and create a 3D image for me.

Glad I'm not alone!

Rakkana

Nov 17, 2009
The old 3D messed with my eyes. The one with colored filters. And I couldn't see the 3D in that.

I don't have a problem with the new version though.

Feb 13, 2008
I know it gives me a headache after some time, but I'd had that down as simple eye strain.

Sure kicks Ubisoft's idea of every household having a 3DTV soon up the ass.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
12 out of 100 definately doesn't equal 1 out of 10, Logan. Then again, that's just me being picky.

Regardless, this is probally a bit hit at the 3D market. Not only are their current sales to be predicted low, but now an almost definate 12% of people won't be buying them.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
I can see it but it very quickly gives me headaches and sickness. I wonder if I fit in the one in ten...

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Gah! It's not 3D! It's stereoscopy!

Some people are so very, very ignorant.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Lol, that title is wrong - EVERYONE with 2 eyes can see in 3D, you just might not be able to see the stereo image :p

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
While I can see the 3d, it induces massive headaches after a while. Still buying a 3ds though, adjustable 3d ftw!

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
So, for people who say they could 'see' the 3D, was Avatar's image very very soft, ie almost no sharp edges. When I saw it, it was 3D but it was so soft that I wanted to go to the 2D instead. On Bluray (2D of course) the image is very sharp. I wondered whether a) the projector was not focussed properly, b) the projector was not bright enough, or c) it was meant to look that way.

Also, trying out the 3D TVs here in Japanese shops, I am irritated by the refresh rate. I can 'sense it' and 'see' it in the corner of my vision. It is distracting and when I take the glasses off, my eyes certainly feel a bit tired.

I don't wear glasses or contacts, and I can read most of the little letters (or broken circles) on those charts. Dunno what's going on.

PoweD

Mar 26, 2009
Charcharo said:
PoweD said:
My sister couldn't keep the 3d glasses,so she would remove them every 15 minutes
I had to do that too, but it was because I had not slept 2 days before the night I watched in 3d for the first time. I was barely awake. Maybe she saw in 3d too, but was too tired to watch constantly?
it wasn't our first 3d movie,first one being spy kids 3d but she wasn't tired and i was more tired than her
Also this issue i had with Red/Cyan glasses but i gotten used to it.

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
My Father can't see properly out of his right eye due to a car accident years ago. Therefore, he can't really see in 3D anymore. But even so, I wouldn't pay the extra for a 3 dimensional television anyway, I live my life in 3D as it is...

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
mikecoulter said:
My Father can't see properly out of his right eye due to a car accident years ago. Therefore, he can't really see in 3D anymore. But even so, I wouldn't pay the extra for a 3 dimensional television anyway, I live my life in 3D as it is...
Yep...only the punches hurt...

I can see in 3D, although i couldn't as a kid...im just weird ^_^