1 in 3 Potential God of War 3 Buyers PS3-Less

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
1 in 3 Potential God of War 3 Buyers PS3-Less

Could God of War 3 be more of a system-seller than predicted? OTX analyst Nick Williams thinks so, claiming that one-third of people who intend to buy the game don't even have a PS3 yet.

As part of the most recent "Analyze This" [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3951/analyze_this_turmoil_in_the_game_.php] column on Gamasutra, Nick Williams said that his company's data showed that Kratos' third rampage on consoles could be a veritable goldmine for Sony's shiny black behemoth of a console.

It's no secret that the Playstation 3's steep price point is a stumbling block for Sony's console, and one of the primary reasons that the console hasn't enjoyed anywhere near the broad market penetration of its predecessor. Williams believes that Sony can continue to lower the costs of production for the PS3, which means that they would be financially able to slash the console's price by Summer 2009 - right in time for God of War 3 to hit in late '09, early '10.

The one-two punch of a hot new exclusive and a cheaper PS3 might be a winning combination for Sony, argues Williams. There's also the counterargument, which says that this scenario will simply result in lower-than-expected God of War sales, rather than a spike in PS3s. Obviously, Sony would prefer one to the other, but nothing is certain.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
I'd have my money on the 'selling less copies' option, especially given the state of the economy. Sony has also said fairly recently that they aren't planning on cutting their prices this year - which doesn't guarantee they won't, but does make a cut for the summer unlikely.

If they want to see higher-than-expected God of War 3 sales, maybe they should try dropping the price on the game.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
I think not. Sales are going to pick up some, obviously, but this borders on unwise overoptimism. Planning ahead to pick up that many console sales only reminds me of how several *cough E.T., Pac-Man cough* Atari 2600 games were produced beyond the number they could possibly sell because of hopes for console sales. 1 title is going to make the console that much, even with the downturn continuing and the PS3 the most expensive base? Really?

Skrapt

May 6, 2008
If the economy starts to recover by the end of the year, then the first scenario may be possible (or if the PS3 gets a big enough price drop). However the recession will probably last a lot longer then until the end of this year so I would expect them to simply sell a lot less copies of God of War III.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
I know this is a bit off-topic, but why does the zombie on the left have a crotch-fire?
Anyway, I'm prolly never gonna play it unless I wind up with a Sony fan as a room mate in Grad school. PS3s just aren't a good enough incentive for me.

Pigeon_Grenade

May 29, 2008
Erana said:
I know this is a bit off-topic, but why does the zombie on the left have a crotch-fire?
Anyway, I'm prolly never gonna play it unless I wind up with a Sony fan as a room mate in Grad school. PS3s just aren't a good enough incentive for me.
i think he is casting a spell

Scypemonk

Proud TBB Warrior
Sep 26, 2007
Pigeon_Grenade said:
Erana said:
It's probably because it got hit by Kratos, a bunch of sparkles that haven't flown away from its spawnpoint yet, which makes it look like a crotchfire ball.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Of course, if Sony "surprises" everyone with a cheaper GoW bundle, you'll probably see sales rise rather well.

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
I have a PS3 and I'm not going to buy God of War 3. I rented the first one for PS2 and I'm just not into those God of War/Devil may Cry hack and slash adventure games.

It sounds like this is the last of the God of War games. At least fans can finally move on to a different hack and slash adventure game, with all new skins.

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
level250geek said:
I am among those PS3-less God of War III buyers. Well see as the year progresses.
I'm with you. I loved the first 2, but I bought a 360 because of the price difference in the consoles. This game just might make me buy one. We shall see.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Indigo_Dingo said:
Sonics Ultimate Megadrive collection retails for around $30 less than other games, how has that affected its sales?
I would postulate that its sales are higher than they would have been otherwise. For example, I bought it :p

TheBadass

Aug 27, 2008
Scypemonk said:
Pigeon_Grenade said:
Erana said:
From his crotch?
It's God of War. He's probably summoning a giant phallus or pair of mouldy tits to beat people with.

On another less suprising note: I want this bloody game.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
I dunno...it's hard for me to believe a game is going to move systems when the last two iterations could be beaten in the space of a rent. I dig the games but they're basically giant rollercoasters.