10 Classic Games That Need Star Wars Remakes

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013

Take an already great game and add a cup of Star Wars. Was there ever a better recipe for success?

Read Full Article

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
I'm not sure which COD4 you played, but I don't remember any QTE in it. One of the many reasons it's better than it's sequels I guess.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
He mentions COD4 and wants a Star Wars game likes it, but seems to have totally forgotten that Republic Commando is a thing. It pretty much ticks all the boxes, plus you get some tactical team management on the side for free.

Sep 14, 2009
StewShearer said:

Take an already great game and add a cup of Star Wars. Was there ever a better recipe for success?

Read Full Article
if you didn't know, ultima underworld does have a kickstarter running right now for a spiritual successor/reboot situation, so maybe look into that?

(and for anyone else who's interested), I think it has like 8 days left or something.

OT: definitely agree with a few of those, especially wing commander. I wouldn't mind star fox 64 getting a star wars style remake (the ship combat is the same, just star wars story/skinned, and then they add ground combat as a different possibility, kind of like how they have different plans you can go to to reach the end.) Would be awesome guiding an x-wing out of the planet after beating andross, and having say qui-gon jinn guiding you with the force.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Well, in regards to a SW style COD game, that's more or less what 1313 (IIRC) was supposed to be. Alas, the merger and acquisition left that game a cold, dead husk. Some would also site Battlegrounds (basically Battlefield: SW Edition), but they never grabbed me.

While Force Unleashed and Republic Commando were interesting diversions, the last truly quintessential SW experiences I can recall were Jedi Outcast and KOTOR 1 and 2 (over 10 years old). Also of note were Rebel Assault 2 and X-Wing Alliance, but that's going back even further!

There's a news article I read a few months back concerning the decline of LucasArts. It was a travesty how corporate gatekeepers managed to scuttle such a promising dev house (no, George Lucas wasn't the only one to blame).

Sad as it may be to say it, if I want a recent SW game I can sink my teeth into, I still have to say SWTOR. Even as constructed (ie me-too MMO), it still had shades of brilliance, and I'd play it in a heartbeat as a SP game with ramped-up leveling curves. Alas, that game ran its course for me LOONG ago.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Gethsemani said:
He mentions COD4 and wants a Star Wars game likes it, but seems to have totally forgotten that Republic Commando is a thing. It pretty much ticks all the boxes, plus you get some tactical team management on the side for free.
Yep Republic Commando was totally a thing, pretty good in its day too. I first played it on the Xbox back when the game first launched but I got a PC version from Steam in a LucasArts sale, it hasn't aged well and the gunplay is a little flaccid but its enjoyable enough with some great locations and set pieces.

For a game that needs a Star Wars remake I would choose a game that is also a thing but I want it to be more of a thing, I want a Need For Speed: Underground Pod Racing game! There was the Pod Racing game on the N64 and PC but I want a full career, customising your racer with parts that balance speed, agility, durability and acceleration and pimping it out with fancy paint etc. More tracks and locations too, finally with modern NFS level graphics.

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
008Zulu said:
I wonder if the Homeworld HD remake will have the same level of mod support.
I think they're providing mod tools right up front and stuff, so yeah.. probably better than the original.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Shinkicker444 said:
I think they're providing mod tools right up front and stuff, so yeah.. probably better than the original.
Cool, maybe I will finally get to try that Star Wars mod, or the Battlestar Galactic one.

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
Regarding the Privateer and Star Control entries: I am 100% sure that there will be an extensive Star Wars mod for Star Citizen. Also probably Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5, Farscape etc.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
VoidWanderer said:
How about Daggerfall?
A Bethesda style open world Star Wars game with Elder Scrolls/Fallout mechanics is something I'd just love to see.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Gethsemani said:
I should have mentioned it directly in the article, but I didn't count it specifically because I'm not interested in the team management stuff. That probably sounds stupid, but I'd love to just get a straight-up rollercoaster ride.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
We should look at what made those games truly special. Because they all share one thing in common: they aren't Star Wars games. That made them able to create a universe which could be explored in ways that made sense, but in Star Wars would had been pretty ridiculous.

And if you think there can't be bad (or ridiculous) Star Wars games, well... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHi8aU8HSIM

Abyss

Apr 21, 2012
That suggestion to do an Star Wars version of Ultima Underworld reminds me of the Sith Temple levels from Mysteries of the Sith. If someone could do a game which combined the best parts of MotS's Sith levels and Ultima Underworld, that would be an interesting experience. It would be rather System Shock-like too, because of the futuristic setting and the inclusion of a lightsaber (System Shock had a lightsaber-like weapon long before it would appear in Jedi Knight, and a year before Dark Forces).

Another first-person RPG I think should have a Star Wars rendition is Morrowind: why not use it as a template for a Star Wars game set during the events of Tales of the Jedi? Of course, the gameplay would be updated, and the lightsaber would have more functionality than the sword mechanics of Morrowind.

Other games that I also think should have been mentioned are Deus Ex, No One Lives Forever, and Half-Life. There are elements in all those games which I long to see in a Dark Forces sequel. Dark Forces after all began where the player assumed the role of a highly skilled mercenary, so the gameplay of Deus Ex and NOLF would suit the Dark Forces series very well. Additionally, the freeform gameplay, multiple choices, and map design of Deus Ex would combine well with the elements of Dark Forces. And Half-Life, because of the cinematic aspect, character interaction, and level design.

There are some other RTSs that come to mind which I'm surprised haven't been considered: StarCraft and Sacrifice. StarCraft, because of the emphasis on factions being unique from each other, and the storytelling (well, the first StarCraft's storytelling, anyway). With Sacrifice, which was an RTS/RPG hybrid where wizards led creatures against each other, you could have Jedi and Sith masters leading all manner of soldiers against each other yet still be able to lightsaber-duel and use Force powers.

solidarityreg

Sep 12, 2014
I agree with most of these, especially the idea of Privateer, Ultima: Underworld and Final Fantasy. Not really convinced on the Arma one though. I get that we should have a ground-level war game, but I wouldn't opt for full-sim for Star Wars. Star Wars is by its nature, not that poe-faced.