10 Ways to Fight Piracy

Ligisttomten

Sep 20, 2004
You forgot release dates. One of the major reasons of piracy over here is the fact things are released 1 month after the US. Of course you're gonna hit that download button instead of waiting a month or more.

rob_d

Jul 20, 2008
I agree with most points of this article and in all it is well put.

If I were you I would change the first point because now it targets a specific technology, namely DRM and not the real reason why people pirate games.
The point should be it's not good business if the customers experience of pirated version of a game is superior to that of a legally bought game. Which is the case with DRM, or country specific nonsense.

Your last point is very accurate and something which I never understood.
When I was younger I didn't have a lot of money to spend on games, that's the reason why I bought a pc so then I didn't have to worry about buying games.
Now I earn a lot of money and buy my games legally. Almost everyone I know of about my age has a similar experience.
That's why I don't understand why a publisher pushes a developer to make a game more appealing to a younger audience. If I were them I would probably only make M and R rated games, because your target audience has the will and the money to buy games.

Killerbunny001

Oct 23, 2008
Meh, I see piracy as a way to say FUCK YOU! to the assholes who over hype a shitty game and then expect you to buy 10 copies of it just because they say it`s good.

Everybody has been through this at least once in their life : You hear about a game, everybody said before launch it`s going to be awesome, you see the trailers, you download the 10 minute demo and after you buy the fucking game you find out that the best part of the game was the fucking demo and you now have another useless boring game that you will never play.

My solution to piracy is quality, and only quality. It`s simple, I don`t trust, let`s say ... EA, and I`m never going to buy anything from them before getting the ripped version and checking it out. If just once in a while EA would come up with a good title I wouldn`t feel the need to do this anymore and the sale will go up.

markcocjin

Dec 23, 2007
The author uses Sins of a Solar Empire, and Stardock as references and yet even in an article that discusses DRM, never mentions Steam. So Stardock is the only reference for a developer/publisher who frequently gives meaningful updates?

Okay so maybe a Fanboy of Steam would actually give a top ten ways to stop piracy: Steam 10x. But doesn't it answer some of the problems?

Rhayn

Free of All Weakness
Jul 8, 2008
That was a pretty good read. I agreed on most points, and I do hope more developers will take up on the free updates for paying customers, like Bioware with their Bring Down the Sky DLC. The only real problem I had with getting BDTS was the ridiculous amounts of registering I had to do on both Bioware's and EA's sites. Nonetheless, it is something I can rub in the face of my pirate friend.

seidlet

Mar 5, 2009
Cid SilverWing said:
This is the first time I ever saw someone who pseudo-advocates piracy.
really? i openly advocate piracy rather frequently, and i'm assuming there are others who do the same.

Pointsman

Jun 19, 2008
most importantly, make it easy and quick for people to get the games, provide a good download service

hannahdonno

Apr 5, 2009
Piracy is always going to be an issue, as gaming companies will continue to charge ridiculous prices for a prodct which they could sell for a LOT cheaper.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
nomercyrules10 said:
I don't pay for any video games. Deal with it.
I think the unfortunate truth is that while people like yourself are rare you are also the only ones running around proclaiming that you like free stuff.

So people get this convoluted view that all pirates are doing it because they are assholes.

I'm sitting on a legally owned treasure trove that would have never been purchased had I not had the chance first to jump onto the cargo ship and beat around the place. I'm not willing to gamble 50-60 bucks on a 'maybe' and frankly nobody makes a proper demo anymore. "Our demo stays on for 14 seconds! enjoy!" "The intro is 15 seconds long?"

Or the 'demo' for SPORE which consisted of nothing but the creature creator.

hannahdonno said:
Piracy is always going to be an issue, as gaming companies will continue to charge ridiculous prices for a prodct which they could sell for a LOT cheaper.
This too. If a game is priced lower than competitors I have a tendency to be friendlier to their faults. If you charge me 60 bucks AND still need patches to get shit working I get irate.

markcocjin said:
The author uses Sins of a Solar Empire, and Stardock as references and yet even in an article that discusses DRM, never mentions Steam. So Stardock is the only reference for a developer/publisher who frequently gives meaningful updates?

Okay so maybe a Fanboy of Steam would actually give a top ten ways to stop piracy: Steam 10x. But doesn't it answer some of the problems?
The reason stardock is more popular is because if Stardock ever died all your games would be good to go. But if you buy games through steam (as far as I know) you are screwed if they go under. Overall I'm a fan of Stardock because they throw a car at you and charge you the cost of that car or less. Not throwing a matchbox car and charging you the cost of a car.

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
good list, all good points, glad to see most people here dont use piracy badly...

i cant say much, im ok with people downloading a pirate version for any reason, trial, not out yet, whatever as long as when (or if) you enjoy it and spent alot of time with it you should pay, making games isnt easy so when a good, fun game comes out, support it

but as for the list 10 thumbs up, totally agree, shame the major devs dont seem to...

CelebrenIthil

Mar 31, 2009
arkwright said:
remember those silly little plastic lenses from the 8 bit days. the ones you had to hold up to the screen and try and read a code through. stopped the game being pirated also stopped the games being played a lot of the time as you lost the little plastic thing lol.
OMG now that you mention it, I think I have memories of that...but I must have been 6 years old in that time. But I think I remember my dad and my older brother trying to install stuff on the computer and having to fiddle with this weird plastic lenses thingy... oh wow. XD
I think I'm really glad we do not work with those anymore... XD

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
markcocjin said:
theultimateend said:
The reason stardock is more popular is because if Stardock ever died all your games would be good to go.
Stardock is more popular than Steam?
Not in the conventional sense. But whenever people talk about DRM schemes they don't mention Stardock.

jonnypistolshot

Mar 30, 2009
I really think this article was on the mark in a lot of ways. I cant think of even one game that doesn't have SOME form of DRM anymore. Even Stardock is using Impulse to control the downloads of updates to its games lately. Publishers would love to roll out their games for all of us to play, however they do have business to run and expenses to cover, that's unfortunately the argument FOR DRM. You're ticked off about the price of the program? They're ticked off about the price of health insurance for their employees. The costs are going to come from somewhere or the company will go under without releasing the game, take your pick.

I'd have to agree that the best anti-piracy measure out there is Value though. I remember once when I had Pirated the game Ghost Recon (yeah its an old example, but it works) so I could play it with friends. We played is so much i eventually bought 6 copies of the game over a period of about 3 years. I first bought the game, however, because I thought the game was actually worth the money. I also purchased all the expansions, and purchased copies for several of my friends once the platinum editions became affordable so we could get the game quickly installed quickly at LAN parties. What really sold the game for me? Value - if i hadn't loved the game I never would have payed for it (or played it anymore for that matter).

Do I still Pirate? No - but I haven't played very many games that I would consider buying either. I probably only buy 3 games a year anymore. Nowadays me and my friends usually get our game information from other reliable gamers whose opinions we take with a grain of salt, or reviews from sites that are fair but tough in their judgments.

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
Aries_Split said:
nomercyrules10 said:
I volunteer at soup kitchens and donate to charity on a regular basis. I'd rather give my time and money to people who need it; I really don't care to support the developers. And besides, video games aren't that entertaining most of the time. If the developers didn't release any games I wouldn't be at a loss much. The best part about most games these days is the hype surrounding them.
Obvious troll is obvious. Soup kitchen my ass.

Get out of the thread you dumb ass, if you don't care, don't post, because frankly we don't care if you pay for your games or not, because you come off as a dick either way.

Concise article Shamus, barring the Crysis tidbit at the end.
Hang on a second, I can see where the guy is coming from, I'm in much the same situation as he is.

See, I give blood once a month, and that saves 3 peoples lives per donation. The way I figure it, those people really need my help, whereas random jerks on the street don't. So I can feel justified if I beat-down and curb-stomp two unknown strangers a month, because I'm still saving more lives than I'm taking.

BlackKraken

Apr 4, 2009
There is only one way to fight piracy; ninjas. Sorry for not adding anything intelligent, its early and i haven't slept.

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
@jasoncyrus: I suggest you read the whole article again and actually pay attention to what he wrote, rather than reading each sub-heading and replying ad hominem.

But I will point out just this one while I have the time:
jasoncyrus said:
7. As for leaked games...if its from inside the company, then most likely the company person will be able to remove the piece of code. If not, the pirateer will be looking for it the second the first person gets caught leaking it. It'll work once then they'll find a way around it, like they did with DRM.
The 'piece of code' that you're talking about gets put into the copy of the game before it gets sent to, say hypothetically, The Escapist.

Its marked down by the devs or publishers that "This piece of code corresponds to the game sent to The Escapist Magazine". When the game is found on a torrent site 3 days before release, the publishers/devs have a look at it and see what piece of code is embedded in the game file, and when they see it matches the one that was sent to The Escapist, they know it was Russ Pitts who leaked it. From then on, The Escapist doesn't get pre-release copies.

I sincerely doubt there is some kind of conspiracy of pirates that have infiltrated the top levels of every major developer and would be able to subvert this system by removing the data string, and personally I think this is one of the best of the listed ways to fight piracy.