10 Worst Pokemon Designs

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
I have to disagree with both Klink/Klang/Klingklang and Garbodor.

Something noticable about Gen 5 was that it, more than any other generation, really tried to recreate Gen 1, right down to having 150ish brand new pokemon without reusing any old ones (at least until post-game). But not just that, a lot of the pokemon are essentially new versions of Gen 1 pokemon. Purrloin/Liepard are just new dark-type Meowth/Persian. Blitzle/Zebstrika is just new electric-type Ponyta/Rapidash. Pidove was new Pidgey. Woobat was Zubat. Roggenrola was Geodude. Sawk and Throh were Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee. Conkeldurr was Machamp. Hell, they even redid Voltorb with that pokeball looking mushroom. Etc, etc. The list goes on. Trubbish/Garbodor were clearly trying to redo Koffing/Weezing or Grimer/Muk, while Klink/Klang/Klingklang were basically Magnemite/Magneton 2.0. So in my eyes, you can't really put those on a list of terrible pokemon unless you're also putting the Gen 1 pokemon they were trying to recreate on the same list.

Which, I mean, you can. I certainly wouldn't argue with Magneton or Grimer being pretty lazy/bad designs. You just didn't is all.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Yeah, I'm not going to defend any of the Pokemons shown in the list.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
The best thing I can think of is that some of those pokemon would look good as gijinka - I have a Klefke humanized OC once because I liked the idea of a dude like SO obsessed with keys and crap. It's stupid , sure, but as an artist, I like pushing the envelope... even if that means turning pokermanz into humans.

Also Pkmn Rusty brings up a good point about pokemon both looking dumb and basically just being animals.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
I forgot about Luvdisc!

[HEADING=2]AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA[/HEADING]​

Oh god, I love a terrible Pokemon design. They could have come up with better ideas by morphing existing ones together with PokeFusion.

...And then, for his crimes against genetics, Professor Oak went to prison, where he served three consecutive life sentences.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Haha! These are bloody hilarious! Especially the set of keys, that is a classic. I always got the impression the pokemon design team were just haemorrhaging their brains out their ears from sheer desperation, but these are a sure sign for them to just cut their losses and run far away from this franchise. Or consider substance abuse, whichever is less shameful to them. Unfortunately, someone forgot to tell you, the designs?...
...They're ALL terrible! Apart from Gengar. Gengar is beautiful ;)

Oh and redhead bro-fist, though males do very much get the short straw on that one, i assure you.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Alright, I have to defend Jynx. I like the color scheme, and it's an interesting typing.

But Druddigon is terrible. It looks like it was cut out of a different franchise, literally it looks like construction paper. It doesn't look inspired in any way and it looks like a generic medieval dragon. And it looks like it could be cut out from a single piece.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Agreeing with all of these except Pineco and Electrode. I always figured the Voltorb family got a bad rap. I mean, Pokemon doesn't have treasure chests so the only way to punk people with mimics was to make ball Pokemon.

Also I like pinecones... <.<

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
I'm gonna defend Garbodor and say it's a better design than Grimer/Muk.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
The only good thing about Luvdisc is that it doesn't evolve...
You can get heartscales off them too, that's pretty useful. Afterwards, if you're feeling particularly morally unscrupulous you can always throw the Luvdisc up onto WonderTrade for a free pokemon too.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Pineco isn't a pinecone tho...

I'll agree some of these are pretty bad. Especially Klink. I'll also say that I really like some of these, and have unironically used both Jynx and Probopass in my team. To me, there's a very big difference between "badly designed" and "weirdly designed"

I also think it's a bit unfair to completely write off a pokemon over "it's just a ___", because pokemon has made that work more than it's failed.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
I saw Macgyver build a bomb out of pine cones once, that totally justifies Pineco knowing Self-Destruct.

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
I don't know how things work in Pokemon these days, but in Luvdisc's introductory game it was the only Pokemon that had the item that allowed you to teach pokemon moves they had/missed/locked away earlier in their leveling process.

I suppose in this modern time of unlimited TM uses that isn't such a big deal, but I used to freaking farm Luvdiscs. Uninspired design, sure, but they most certainly had redeeming factors.

Luminous_Umbra

Sep 25, 2011
Wow, going to be perfectly honest here.
When people say the Escapist is going downhill, this should be the sign of the end times, not the departure of the content creators. When this...dreck...shows up, it's time to fetch the casket.

A top 10 list with no rhyme or reason, picking low hanging fruit after lowing hanging fruit, that could be written by anybody on this forum. This isn't even about defending your choices, this is about the entirety of the end result.

I'm serious, this is so low effort, it makes me think I could have a chance at writing for the Escapist, if I had any interest in doing so.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
JoJo said:
The only good thing about Luvdisc is that it doesn't evolve...
You can get heartscales off them too, that's pretty useful. Afterwards, if you're feeling particularly morally unscrupulous you can always throw the Luvdisc up onto WonderTrade for a free pokemon too.
Yeah, but the problem there is you get a Luvdisc in return. And then you trade that Luvdisc for another Luvdisc...

It's Luvdiscs, all the way down.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
The thing with Jynx though is it's based on a creature from Japanese mythology.

Anyway, you know when thy're giving you keyrings and ice cream cones you know they're running out of ideas.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
canadamus_prime said:

Anyway, you know when thy're giving you keyrings and ice cream cones you know they're running out of ideas.
Actually inanimate objects coming to life is also a key component of Japanese mythological folklore too. A lot of yokai/ayakashi are food, or household objects come to life. For example nattokozo and tofukozo are food objects come alive. There are also living inkwells and stuff.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
canadamus_prime said:

Actually inanimate objects coming to life is also a key component of Japanese mythological folklore too. A lot of yokai/ayakashi are food, or household objects come to life. For example nattokozo and tofukozo are food objects come alive. There are also living inkwells and stuff.
I was unaware of that. I'm sadly not a scholar of Japanese mythology, I've only picked up the odd tidbit here and there.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
canadamus_prime said:

I was unaware of that. I'm sadly not a scholar of Japanese mythology, I've only picked up the odd tidbit here and there.
Yeah, it's odd, many of the recent ghost types are very much like ghosts of traditional Japanese folklore. It's not that they've run dry on ideas, Pokemon is just that deeply Japanese all said.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Seel needed to be on this list. It's design and name have zero creatively. It's just a derpy seal named "Seel."

Stantler is one of the worst designed Pokemon for me. In the old games, it looks okay, but with time, it looks straight up ugly. And it has no viability in battle, so you would not want to use it anyway.

Not every Pokemon is perfect, but there are few I dislike due to design. Some on the list are lame, but aren't offensive to look at. Garbodor still does not bug me.