10 Year-Old Credits Mario Kart After Stopping Driverless Car

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
10 Year-Old Credits Mario Kart After Stopping Driverless Car

Gryffin Sanders steered his great-grandmother's car into a ditch after she passed out while driving.

Being the cowardly sort as a child, I can safely say that my personal reaction to being in the passenger's seat of an out-of-control car would involve a change of pants and a good dose of <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft7wEehEMdo>praying to whichever deity promised me a swift and splatter-less salvation. That being the case, I have to give credit to ten year-old Gryffin Sanders of Colorado who, after his great-grandmother passed out at the wheel, took control of the car and steered it safely out of oncoming traffic, saving his life, his grandmother's, and that of his younger brother who was also a passenger. Sanders, also being the sort to give credit where it's due, attributed his youthful driving skills to an unlikely source: Mario Kart. When questioned by reporters about his handling of the incident he told them he spends a lot of time playing the popular game.

Granted, he also gave credit to his experience driving actual go-karts, but we're going to focus on the Mario Kart aspect of the story just because it gives us a bit of hope that our own virtual endeavors might someday amount to real world successes. What a joy it would be, for instance, if the countless hours I spent in the 90s trying to best my own score in Star Fox 64 had somehow equipped me to battle robot monkeys in the real world. Likewise, there's probably more than a few people who might enjoy the thought of their escapades in The Witcher 2 translating into tangible "romantic" skills. Even knowing these to be nothing more than silly fantasies, we still have to congratulate Gryffin on a job well done. He thought quickly in an emergency situation, saved the day, and did it all while rocking the name Gryffin.

Source: <a href=http://www.9news.com/news/article/347347/339/10-year-old-takes-control-of-speeding-car>9News

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
I do like this story and hope that it gets a good amount of notice so that games get some positive media attention for once, but you were beaten by several days on reporting this. I just find it a little odd that this story is being posted then?

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
What a load of BS. He obviously didnt learn anything from Mario Kart.
If he had, he would have know that the best way to stop the car would have been to lean out the window at high speed, grab a passing turtle, and throw it out in front of him to disable the car.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Njeeeh if I had to guess I'd say it had more to do with his go-cart experience than mario kart. Which is probably for the best because, even though stories like this make us feel great about our hobby, your favorite game is arguably not the first thing you should be thinking of in an actual life or death scenario. Unless it actually is really relevant, like when you're on a plane with both pilots passed out and you happen to rock microsoft flight simulator on the highest difficulty. Which I'm told actually happened, though it may be just an urban legend.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
noooo noooo this is more left wing propaganda, mariokart and video games make you into a bad evil person. This kid is going to grow up and steal cars for joy rides, marry outside of wed lock and surport abortion and gay rights. EVIL EVIL EVIL.

Otherwise, good work kid :) fast thinking. Dude should get some cake

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
"Likewise, there's probably more than a few people who might enjoy the thought of their escapades in The Witcher 2 translating into tangible "romantic" skills."

Yup. As a woman, waving my hands over my body so my clothes magically disappear really wins the guys over every time.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
So ... is focusing on Mario Kart the flipside of all those news stories about "call of duty made him shoot up a school?"

Sometimes you just gotta not play that sensationalistic game.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Can he teach me how to get my car to hop and slide into a turn, I have been trying without success for decades.