THQ Faces NASDAQ Delisting

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
THQ Faces NASDAQ Delisting

THQ has been given 180 days to get its share price to at least $1 or facing delisting from the NASDAQ stock exchange.

It's a clammy tale. One day you're on top of the world, making truckloads of money cranking out licensed videogames based on lucrative Disney franchises, and the next you've got people banging on your door and threatening to kick you off the NASDAQ. That's the situation at THQ, which was warned today that it has 180 days to get its share price to a minimum of $1 and then keep it there for ten consecutive days.

It doesn't sound like an overly lofty goal but the publisher has a long way to go to get there. At last check it was trading at just a hair over 67 cents, down from over $36 back in mid-2007. It actually came into the final quarter of 2011 at around the $2 mark, but then crashed to its current state in early December. The company recently announced that it would get out of the licensed game business in order to focus on its core franchises, but those plans could be hampered by a potentially devastating mid-year cash shortage.

There are still options for THQ if it fails to meet the NASDAQ's demands within the allotted time. It could combine its shares in a reverse stock split to make them more valuable, a process Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/39670/] described as "expensive, time consuming and embarrassing," or it could try to convince the NASDAQ that it has an effective turn-around plan in place but needs more time to execute it. Whatever happens, it seems like rock-bottom is still waiting to be hit - but it's coming up pretty quick.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/39926/THQ_may_be_delisted_from_Nasdaq_in_July.php]

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Well... that's bad news I guess. I knew THQ was in trouble but what the hell is the NASDAQ and why does it matter?

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
I kinda want to buy 1000 shares of THQ. Not that expensive, and it's unlikely they'll keep going down. Right?

...right?

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Azuaron said:
I kinda want to buy 1000 shares of THQ. Not that expensive, and it's unlikely they'll keep going down. Right?

...right?
My thoughts exactly. The stocks are so cheap right now that a spare 10 quid from me that I can afford to take a risk on could come back and benefit me pretty well. If not, oh well! :p

Edit: I do however, assume that i'm extremely misinformed on the stock market.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Kristian Fischer said:
Scrustle said:
Well... that's bad news I guess. I knew THQ was in trouble but what the hell is the NASDAQ and why does it matter?
The NASDAQ is the DOW stock index, but for tech companies.
And why is it bad that they will be taken off it?

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Scrustle said:
Azuaron said:

...right?
You both are in luck. Delisting isn't the end of a company. Just as many companies survive and are highly profitable without ever having been traded on that level publicly, a company can be delisted and thrive.

To answer Scrustle: the Nasdaq is a stock trading index for tech stocks. When you buy a stock you are essentially buying a piece of a company. So, if you buy one share of stock (for the sake of argument) at $0.67 and it goes up to $1, you can then sell that share of stock for a profit of $0.33. Now, as I stated, it's not necessary for a company to be listed in order for it to be successful. The thing about being listed on the Nasdaq though is that it makes it far easier for a company to find investors. But, if it gets delisted, then there are actually two other forms of investment that companies still use. They are called the OTCBB (Over the Counter Bulletin Board) and the Pink Sheets. Both are riskier than the Nasdaq and the the Pink Sheets don't even require the companies to be registered with the SEC. Though, the Pink Sheets are usually more speculative in nature.

To answer Azuaron: If you really want to invest in the company I say go for it. Here is the thing though, you should not invest in a company just because you like it. Investing should only be done if you think the company offers a good product to people and you see the potential for growth. Also, delisting is not the same thing as a company going bankrupt. Just because it's delisted does not mean the company is dying, and it does not mean they will not ever be listed again.

OT: I hope THQ is able to bring themselves out of this financial tailspin. They make some great games and own some awesome game licenses.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Scrustle said:
Kristian Fischer said:
Scrustle said:
The NASDAQ is the DOW stock index, but for tech companies.
And why is it bad that they will be taken off it?
No stock listed for selling = no investors to buy stock.

Its literally the first mile on the road to death for any company.

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
yayforgiveaway said:
"It could combine its shares in a reverse stock split"
In English please?
You have two THQ shares, each worth 25 cents.
THQ says "REVERSE STOCK SPLIT"
Congratulations, you now own 1 THQ share that is worth 50 cents

yayforgiveaway

Aug 25, 2009
TheSYLOH said:
yayforgiveaway said:
"It could combine its shares in a reverse stock split"
In English please?
You have two THQ shares, each worth 25 cents.
THQ says "REVERSE STOCK SPLIT"
Congratulations, you now own 1 THQ share that is worth 50 cents
Thank you!

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Quickly! Someone buy them up, get them out of NASDAQ and thus out of the hands of filthy shareholders so that people who actually know their shit about videogames can run THQ to make games from gamers for gamers.

Because I swear, it's because of gaming publishers and developers going public that they become the awful companies we know and hate.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
80Maxwell08 said:
So...is it time for a Steam sale?
They are actually on sale, have been the whole weekend.

I got myself a Space Marine, alredy had most of DoW II. Don't plan to play it in a while but i like Warhammer 40k and THQ, so why the heck not.