Play Half-Life 2 for Half-Life 3

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Play Half-Life 2 for Half-Life 3

In an effort to discover what's going on with Half-Life, the Call for Communication Steam Group is asking the entire internet to play some Half-Life 2 this weekend.

When last we heard from Dr. Gordon Freeman and the gang, there was a fan, the shit was hitting it, and it was 2007. 2007, people! That's over four years ago! I can't even bring myself to make an "episodic" joke at this point, but I do wish I had some idea what Valve was up to with the franchise. So do a lot of other gamers out there, many of whom have come together in the Call for Communication (Half-Life) Steam Group, dedicated to digging up the truth.

"The entire trilogy of episodes was supposed to be completed and released by 2007, and if Valve have decided to do other things for the time being, that is fine," the group's profile says. "All that we ask for is a basic response on the matter, and to let fans know whether or not the current story arc is scheduled to conclude at another point in time."

But asking nicely about these things never goes anywhere, so the HL-CFC has come up with a Plan B: playing the crap out of Half-Life 2 this weekend to remind Valve that there's still a lot of love for the game. The "Red Letter Day [http://steamcommunity.com/groups/messagetovalve/events/1424497266471760206]" begins at 2:00 pm EST on February 4 and runs until everyone gets tired of playing and decides to go do something else.

It's a brilliant idea. Getting out and marching in the streets is a serious hassle, but firing up a game on Steam? That's something that a lot of us will probably be doing anyway. Whether or not it will do any good is an entirely different matter but at this point it certainly can't hurt, and with over 36,000 members, Valve might actually sit up and take notice.

Feel like helping out, or just playing some HL2 on Saturday? Head over the Call for Communication (Half-Life) [http://steamcommunity.com/groups/messagetovalve] group on Steam, put your name on the page and get ready to kill for the truth!

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I may be looking at this the wrong way. But if I was at Valve, I would just look at this and think to myself;

"Well, they still must like our last Half Life game if they all want to play it so much. Maybe we'll delay HL2:E3 for another 3 months"

And then I'd put on my best troll-face.

Limecake

May 18, 2011
Does it matter which version of HL2 we play? I always wanted to send that little gnome to space.

If this 'protest' goes off without a hitch and we still don't hear anything from valve I might just die a little on the inside.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Might as well take a break from being a Vampire in California/Conquering feudal Japan for a few hours to be a world saving physicist.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
I'll do it, but I am 100% sure it wont work.

The only way Valve will release info on HL3 is when they're finally ready OR if someone goes as far as domestic terrorism.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Hm, well i may as well jump in. Its not like im doing much else other than Renegade X: Black Dawn this weekend.

Also that game information panel, it lists Gearbox as the developer for Half Life.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
gigastar said:
Hm, well i may as well jump in. Its not like im doing much else other than Renegade X: Black Dawn this weekend.

Also that game information panel, it lists Gearbox as the developer for Half Life.
That may be because they did develop a couple of the expansions for Half Life 1, I think. Still odd though.

Anyway, do Xbox 360 owners count, cos I'll join in on The Orange Box if it means we get some information about Episode 3

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Well I was planning on playing again soon anyway so why not? At least I'm not being asked to play a terrible game for a good cause.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
Yeah cause the petition for Dark Souls will work *schoof*, so this will too. Yeah Gabe will go, 'thanks for the support etc', but won't follow up on it.
Valve already knows how pissed we are about the whole kerfufflell, or however you spell it, but sorry to be a wet rag, this isn't gonna make much difference. Cause I only have the PS3 port, lol

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I only just finished playing HL2 about a week ago, and its not something I wish to do again.

As much as I hate leaving stories unfinished I dont...........screw it, no, one play through was enough for me.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Count me in. I haven't even ever finished HL2, or any of the episodes for that matter. This'll be good both for me and for the community to let Valve know we are still waiting, even almost five years later. It's not like I'll have anything better to do.

So, why not?

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Tree man said:
Private Freeman reporting for duty...There are also several thousand Freeman's behind me sir...and one Judith Mossman.
Hmm...I don't trust her. Something about her just seems....off. Can't put my finger on it. It's like she might:
completely betray Eli, Alyx, Gordon, and the rest of the resistance in an illogical attempt to "save" Eli.
Though she does redeem herself in the end.

And of course, this little news item comes along just a week or so after I played through the entire Half-Life series again. (as I tend to do with some of my favorite games every so often)

But hey, if you people are gonna "twist my arm", I guess I can begrudgingly play through one of them again. If I HAVE to.

(read with a heavy does of sarcasm)

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
The_root_of_all_evil said:

Whatever happens, Gabe be trollin'.
At this point I think it's less "trolling" and more a hobby.

Or hell, knowing Gaben, he probably found a way to turn it into a lucrative business venture.