Ghost Trick Haunts iOS

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Ghost Trick Haunts iOS

You can play the first two chapters of the excellent Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective for free on iOS.

Despite being fun, original and absolutely goddamn beautiful Ghost Trick failed to make much of a sales splash when it was released for the DS. In fact, it sold so poorly that Capcom blamed it, alongside Lost Planet 2 and Monster Hunter Tri, for the company's disastrous Q1 2010 performance. [http://www.siliconera.com/2010/07/29/low-sales-and-higher-development-costs-to-blame-for-90-decrease-in-capcom-income/] The game got an iOS re-release that same year, but it was limited to Japan-only.

The western release of Ghost Trick iOS came out today and will work on all iDevices running iOS 4.3 or higher. The first two levels of the game are free and will give you a tantalizing taste of what the game has to offer. Subsequent chapters can be bought for $4.99 each, or you can pick up the whole game for only $9.99.

In Ghost Trick, players take on the role of Sissel, a ghost with the ability to rewind time and possess everyday objects. Sissel can continuously relive events, possessing and tweaking various different things to change the outcome. The games' levels grow in complexity, until eventually they begin to resemble the later scenes of Groundhog Day crossed with an episode of the Chuckle Brothers. Our own Susan Arendt certainly liked it. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8614-Review-Ghost-Trick-Phantom-Detective]

Ten bucks for one the best unsung adventure games of the past few years? Sold.

standokan

May 28, 2009
This was probably one of the best ds games from last year, I hope that this'll make people recognize it as so.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
The android gets no love. Also I've heard this game is really good, just now actually from the guy above me

Rhys95

May 16, 2011
You can tell your paranoid when you think a "Ghost Trick on an iOS" is one of those screamer apps

Llil

Jul 24, 2008
Awesome. Easily one of the best games on the DS. It's really great that people who don't have a DS don't have to miss out on this gem.
For anyone who hasn't played it yet, go get it now!

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Considering the responses so far (I wasn't sure if I was the only one who hadn't heard of it) I'd say the reason it sold so poorly was because it's marketing campaign was phantom defective
Bad pun aside, this is most likely the real reason. I had only heard of this game because someone recommended it to me because I liked another game which wasn't even similar... so odd recommendation really, but either way I had only heard of it because of word of mouth and not through any sort of effective marketing.

As for Lost Planet 2, well I heard the first wasn't all that good and that the second was really 4 player co-op based and I don't have that many friends...

But seriously, Ghost Trick is awesome and anyone with a DS/3DS should totally buy it. It's got a complex storyline, unique gameplay, colourful characters and quite possibly the smoothest annimation you'll ever see a handheld like the DS throw at you.

Play it now.

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
Figured I'd try the first two chapters since they're free. I definitely like it. I'm personally going to buy the full game on DS, though. It seems like it would be easier to play with a stylus.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
You'll find that Capcom blames Nintendo or its own employees for anything they can claim when they're standing right there with the gun in their hand and the muzzle pointed at their foot, and they're in the middle of reloading.

I mean, I enjoy the games, but I'm starting to hope they just fly off the deep end altogether so that we don't have to put up with this anymore.

Enjoy Ghost Trick!