Twisted Metal Delayed and Censored for Europe

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Twisted Metal Delayed and Censored for Europe

European gamers are going to have to wait a little longer for their slightly watered-down Twisted Metal fix.

Guess what, Europeans! Valentine's day is ruined. While gamers in the good ol' US of A will be spending the most romantic day of the year murdering innocents in tricked-out ice cream trucks, you get nothing but a crushing sensation of loneliness. The European release of Twisted Metal has been pushed back to March. Why? Because of localization issues.

It's not just a case of adding a few Us to make sure things are spelled correctly either, the European version is being modified to make it marginally less horrifying for delicate, cultural-types. According to a post from notoriously foul-mouthed lead developer David Jaffe, 99% of the cut material is from the game's cutscenes, which are being censored by the SCEE under his supervision. Jaffe only mentioned one relatively minor gameplay change: The 'Meat Wagon' vehicle's special attack, which previously involved a screaming, terminally-ill patient strapped to a rocket-propelled gurney loaded with TNT, has been modified so the occupant of the gurney is totally dead rather than 'nearly dead.'

"You think I wanted to change content? Fuck no - for a bunch of reasons 'fuck no'," wrote Jaffe."But it ain't my game (Sony owns the IP and funded it) and certain countries have - obviously - much stricter guidelines. AND since TM has never been a big seller outside of America, I guess it didn't make sense to have a whole bunch of different discs for each country (i.e. Germany gets disc ver. 3, UK gets disc ver 6, etc.)."

Sony hasn't confirmed a new date for the European release but Jaffe has "heard" it's on track for a March 1st release. The NA release date remains unchanged.

Source: Neogaf [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34776044&postcount=1210]

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Just ship the NA disc to the UK, job done. Don't you have to ship different discs to each county anyway with different manual languages, etc.

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
Does this mean it will be censored in Australia as well I hope not D:

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
FUCK YOU GERMANY! no FUCK YOU. its their fault because theyre censorship nazis. YES I SAID THE N WORD. now i get screwed over because of it. then again, it is more laziness of theirs(I DONT WANNA SHIP DISC VER 3 TO UK, DISC VER 6 TO GERMANY, ITS TOO HAAARRRRD) -_-.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
solidsnake101023 said:
Wouldn't expect anything less than refused classification till some things get changed.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Well, I played Twisted Metal back on the Playstation in Britain. Honestly dont remeber the characters except the Clown in the Ice Cream truck and Axel, the guy who has his arms trapped inside his vehicle which never made much sense to me... forget everything else and why you would need to be surgically attached to a vehicle... he is out in the open, absolutely nothing to protect him from being shot in the face.

Oh, was there a guy called Spectre or something? I think I played as him. Should really have googled this before now but too late now.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
I'd have a hard time believing that all of Europe is getting the German version, because that... would require a hell of a lot more "gameplay changes" than just the one they mentioned. In fact, I'm not sure how you would make a game like this acceptable in Germany; don't they have a rule that any violence, bloody or otherwise, has to be against non-human opponents?

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Kinguendo said:
Oh, was there a guy called Spectre or something? I think I played as him. Should really have googled this before now but too late now.
You played 3, can't remember much about Axel's backstory (and they all get changed around, and different vehicles get new drivers and it's all a right mess.

But hey, you drive around blowing shit up, who needs a story? (even if the ending "stories" were almost always hilarious)

The Great Purtabo

Aug 16, 2010
solidsnake101023 said:
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH :'D whew, that made me laugh... probably'll be either be heavily censored, or banned altogether... well, with the prices you Aussies pay for games, it would probably be cheaper just to ship it from the US :)

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
god bless America mother fuckers. Where we can say fuck on tv and sale magazines with titties.

and video games are raunchy like a son of a *****.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
Kinguendo said:
Well, I played Twisted Metal back on the Playstation in Britain. Honestly dont remeber the characters except the Clown in the Ice Cream truck and Axel, the guy who has his arms trapped inside his vehicle which never made much sense to me... forget everything else and why you would need to be surgically attached to a vehicle... he is out in the open, absolutely nothing to protect him from being shot in the face.

Axel's cruel father cut his arms and legs off and stuck him in that machine to toughen him up.

Spectre in the second game was an actor who entered the competition so the whole world would know his face (in the first game the driver was a ghost). I liked his special, it went through walls.

ShadyNinja

Jan 17, 2012
Personally I think only

UK, Germany and Australia will get censored version.
The rest of Europe doesn't have as much stupid censorship.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I'm sorry, I kind of got sidetracked after that beautiful description of that one feature of Twisted Metal. What were we talking about again?

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Well this isn`t great news at all.
Kinda lame that they bunched everyone here at good ol` Europe together, but oh well, i suppose if this gets things done more cheaper, and the changes are indeed just small, then hopefully it won`t matter. If that makes any sense at all.

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
Isn't this pretty much what they did to Twisted Metal: Black? (as well as removing pretty much every cutscene here in the UK)

I miss the old Twisted Metal games (World Tour is still my favourite).