David Jaffe "Expected" to Leave Twisted Metal Studio - UPDATED

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
David Jaffe "Expected" to Leave Twisted Metal Studio - UPDATED

Eat Sleep Play, the studio behind Twisted Metal, sheds eight employees, a co-founder, and its interest in creating console games.

According to a story run in the Salt Lake Tribune, infamous God of War co-creator David Jaffe will be leaving Eat Sleep Play, the game studio responsible for the upcoming reboot of Twisted Metal. With Twisted Metal complete, the studio has reportedly already laid off eight employees, about 20% of the total staff. The restructuring also comes with a shift in focus; Eat Sleep Play will now work exclusively on bringing mobile, casual games to market instead of large console titles.

"It's a platform that is in our pockets almost 24/7," said Scott Campbell, who co-founded Eat Sleep Play with Jaffe in 2007. "It's kind of the size and types of games we're playing. You can certainly reach a lot more people. That's pretty exciting for us." As for what Campbell wants to create? "Hopefully it's our brand of mechanics-driven gaming brought to these devices," he said.

The article also points to Jaffe leaving the company, with the purpose of "also pursuing casual games."

"[Jaffe's] excited to go into the casual space as well," said Campbell. "He's got some projects that he's excited about. So we're kind of going down two separate paths."

Jaffe wasn't quoted in the source article, however soon commented on Campbell's statement via Twitter, writing: "The rumors of me making casual games post TM - as many of you define them - are highly exaggerated."

The timing of this news seems a bit surprising as Twisted Metal is coming to stores on February 14th. With Jaffe leaving his own company, and both he and Eat Sleep Play both shifting focus toward some form of mobile or casual gaming, it definitely puts the future of the newly rebooted series in an extremely precarious position.

Update: David Jaffe has confirmed via a series of tweets that he will be leaving Eat Love Play after dedicating at least three months to "balance & bug fix & tune" Twisted Metal. He has also confirmed that he will be starting a new company, that his departure from Eat Sleep Play was by choice, and that he has "zero plans to make games like FARMVILLE and ANGRY BIRDS." And while Jaffe seems sure about what his new company won't work on, he hasn't yet decided what it will, writing: "I have no idea what game we'll make yet. Could be iPhone, could be next-gen console. Have barely done ANYTHING w/new co yet."

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/53456556-79/game-company-games-campbell.html.csp]

Apr 28, 2008
He revealed on Twitter what his plans were.

https://twitter.com/#!/davidscottjaffe

Scroll down a bit and you'll see all the news. Or here it is in case you don't want to:

"I have zero plans to make games like FARMVILLE and ANGRY BIRDS. I never said what I was doing post TM (and I'm still on TM along with ESP for the next months as we launch it and balance it in real time and make sure it's a perfect game and continue to support it). At the same time I will be opening a game studio here in San Diego because I really miss internal game development. Happy to share more details later."

"But if I may clear this up: I was not laid off. I co-own the company. There were a few lay offs and they were very painful to do for all involved. I'm leaving because- again- games are just getting2big to direct from 300 miles away&I miss the day2day of working direct w/team."

So there you have it. Straight from the horse's mouth. Or in Jaffe's case, the horse's potty mouth.

robert022614

meeeoooow
Dec 1, 2009
ugh casual games are so horrible, but appearantly profitable so I may stop playing games if this is the future.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I'll still cherish my copies of Twisted Metal 2, TM: Head-On, and TM: Black.
Hope the more direct approach works out for him.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
This ongoing trend of teaching people that they might lose their jobs once the project completes might not be the wisest idea.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
You watch, he'll figure out an app that'll get you more blowjobs than he previously promised and then who will be complaining? Nobody, that's who.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Good luck on your journey, Mister Jaffe.
May Fortuna shine upon you.