Official Doctor Who/Star Trek Crossover Coming Soon

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Official Doctor Who/Star Trek Crossover Coming Soon

The enterprising Doctor will bridge two famous science fiction universes this May.

Crossovers are usually bound to the nightmarish, often illegible domain of "fan fic," a terrifying afterlife of sorts where the visage of many a favorite hero sometimes travels, only to be subjected to awkward, unnatural romances, dialog that would offend an Xbox Live user, and situations more contrived than the plot of The Phantom Menace. Still, news of their creation can be exciting when handled officially and properly, and the latest creation of comic publisher IDW is already the former and seeks to be the latter.

This May, IDW will be releasing an officially sanctioned Who/Next Generation crossover series starring The 11th Doctor (the bowtie wearing Matt Smith one), his companion Amy, and her companion Rory skittering about the greater universe with Captain Picard, Worf, Data, Geordie, Troi, and Riker.

This crossover series will be the first of its nature for the good Doctor, while Star Trek already dabbled in both the X-Men and Legion of Superheroes universes before now. We don't yet know exactly whom the baddies will be (I'm personally hoping for a Borg/Dalek alliance, at risk of being a mite too obvious) but we do have the cover for the first issue, shown above. Hopefully more details will emerge at the Gallifrey One convention on February 17th, when IDW is expected to announce the comic official-like.

Source: BleedingCool

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I drink tea, Earl Grey, hot now.

Earl Grey is cool!

EDIT:
http://www.startrek.com/article/idws-tng-doctor-who-crossover-comic-due-in-may

Official Cover;

Going to be called Assimilation² and the Enterprise crew with the Doctor and companions will be fighting a Borg-Cyberman alliance.

#1 will run 32 pages and sell for $3.99 and be the first in a series of 8 adventures.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Nooo! Sad Tautological Toombs is sad and tautological!

This is is unlikely to bode well...

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Borg/Cybermen seems the most likely.

It will never beat the classic panel of the X-Men/Classic Trek crossover 'Doctor McCoy?' though, or the meeting of Xavier and Picard who suspiciously look alike :)

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
My guess at the baddies? Borg/Cybermen. Makes the most sence since they have a common theme.

Edit: Damn, ninja'd!

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Crossovers, if done well, can be quite good. (Aliens versus Predator, perhaps.)

More often, though, they seem to come across as shoddy, cheap cash-ins. (X-Files and Cops, or any of the other absurd throw-two-properties-we-own-together nightmares that Fox foisted on us back in the late Nineties.)

I personally have a feeling the parts are too big here for the whole to be even the sum of them, much less more, but I don't like to write it off totally. It could work. I will be suspicious, though.

Arkley

Mar 12, 2009
What? Why?

I mean, I get that they're both enormously popular sci-fi franchises, but that's where the similarities end. Star Trek TNG is a relatively grounded universe with a somewhat serious tone centered on the day-to-day lives of an ensemble cast aboard a space ship. Doctor Who is a tongue-in-cheek, ham & cheese retro-futurist show centered on the biggest Gary Sue to ever make it to TV and his pet human as they jump through time.

It makes about as much sense as a Mass Effect/Futurama crossover. Although that would at least be pretty awesome.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
They had me at Doctor Who.

I can't wait to read this, especially to see the Doctor's interactions with Picard.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
If comics were a little easier for me to get a hold of, I'd definitely be interested.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Nyaaagh!

...only if written by Peter David. Do we know who the author is?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Um...ya'll do realize that back in the 80s, or was it the 70s, DW and Marvel had a kind of cross-over.

Not as blatant as this one, but still.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
I'm hopeful, but I fear awfulness. The closest I've ever seen to DW/ST being awesome was when an actor from one was telling a funny story about an actor from the other: Lalla (2nd Romana) Ward's awesome story about Patrick Stewart in the late 1970's [http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/webcasts/shada/interviews/ward/page10.shtml].

For the tl;dr sorts or the ones who are confused by the massive run-on sentence of that second last paragraph:

Patrick Stewart: 'You used to be in Doctor Who didn't you?'
Lalla Ward: 'Yes, I still am actually.'
Patrick Stewart: 'I mean why do you do all this television, why don't you do proper stuff like theatre?'
Lalla Ward: 'Well I love it actually, I love doing Doctor Who.'
Patrick Stewart: 'But science fiction, I mean why would you want to do science fiction?'
Lalla Ward: 'I don't know - I think partly because you learn so much technical stuff, it's really interesting.'
Patrick Stewart: 'Oh I wouldn't want to do that sort of stuff.'

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Formica Archonis said:
I'm hopeful, but I fear awfulness. The closest I've ever seen to DW/ST being awesome was when an actor from one was telling a funny story about an actor from the other: Lalla (2nd Romana) Ward's awesome story about Patrick Stewart in the late 1970's [http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/webcasts/shada/interviews/ward/page10.shtml].

For the tl;dr sorts or the ones who are confused by the massive run-on sentence of that second last paragraph:

Patrick Stewart: 'You used to be in Doctor Who didn't you?'
Lalla Ward: 'Yes, I still am actually.'
Patrick Stewart: 'I mean why do you do all this television, why don't you do proper stuff like theatre?'
Lalla Ward: 'Well I love it actually, I love doing Doctor Who.'
Patrick Stewart: 'But science fiction, I mean why would you want to do science fiction?'
Lalla Ward: 'I don't know - I think partly because you learn so much technical stuff, it's really interesting.'
Patrick Stewart: 'Oh I wouldn't want to do that sort of stuff.'
Of course The Doctor used to be in Lalla Ward as well...

Sorry.

On another note, my Star Trek Online Tactical and Engineering characters are called Jamie McCribbin and Peter Davison respectively.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Vault Citizen said:
They had me at Doctor Who.

I can't wait to read this, especially to see the Doctor's interactions with Picard.
Personally I'd rather see the Doctor interacting with Q...

Suicidejim

Jul 1, 2011
As someone who despises Star Trek in any incarnation, this fills me with a combination of dread and horror. Drorror, I suppose.
No. Just . . . bloody hell, no.

Caine Master

Jul 16, 2011
I so want to see the TARDIS randomly show up on the bridge of the Enterprise.

I normally don't read comics but I would totally read this.