Swedish Teen Collapses After Too Much Lich King

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Swedish Teen Collapses After Too Much Lich King

Hot on the heels of stories that it took just over a day for the first reach level 80 [http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/wrath/] comes news that it took less than a week for Wrath of the Lich King to just about kill its first player.

So says the English-language Swedish news site WoW [http://www.thelocal.se/15742/20081117/]-fest, but the experience proved too much for him; around 2:00 pm on Sunday he collapsed and went into convulsions in what looked like an epileptic seizure.

"They played all day and all night," the boy's father said. "Maybe they got a few hours of sleep. They ate a little food and breakfast at their computers."

The teenager was taken to hospital by ambulance, where doctors determined that his body had been thrown of out of whack by "a combination of sleep deprivation, lack of food, and too long a stretch of concentrated game playing." He is expected to make a complete recovery, although his gaming time might not bounce back so quickly; his father said he plans on limiting the amount of time his son can spend playing the game. Reports that World of Warcraft players from France are laughing and pointing in the general direction of Sweden remain unconfirmed.

via: GamePolitics [http://www.gamepolitics.com/2008/11/17/swedish-teen-collapses-after-lich-king-binge]

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Good thing the father knew he was playing for that long and didn't MAKE HIM GO OUTSIDE AND DO SOMETHING. Thank God for good parenting.

curlycrouton

Jul 13, 2008
See? This is what WoW does to people!

One day, when I have my way, it'll be banned..

One day...

Lord Harrab

Jun 24, 2008
wasn't there a Korean guy who actuality died after doing something like this a while back? I think he played non-stop for a week.

Spektre41

Jun 26, 2008
Okay, let's be reasonable here, the kid got caught up in the release hype, got excited, and played too long. It's just a mistake on his part, so let's cut him some slack.

iain62a

Oct 9, 2008
Lord Harrab said:
wasn't there a Korean guy who actuality died after doing something like this a while back? I think he played non-stop for a week.
Maybe humanity will never be truly great.

Deschamps

Oct 11, 2008
Not as bad as the kid who ran away from home recently, but seriously, parents need to pay more attention to what their kids are doing. I respect his father for saying that he'll start to limit his son's play time, but I don't think it should have gotten to that point in the first place.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
curlycrouton said:
See? This is what WoW does to people!
I take it you don't play?

yeah, well.. I've seen some of the complaints on gamer stereotypes threads here, and I have to say that this is somewhat hypocritical. Just saying..

Sure, the kid's not too bright, should've eaten some food, or better yet; stopped playing for a while.

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
Come on, this is just the culling of the weak people in society :D Notice how none of his mates collapsed, this guy is obviously not built for hardcore gaming :)

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Lord Harrab said:
As a matter of fact, there was.

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
GothmogII said:
Lightweight. Pfft. I mean 24hours? *rolls eyes*
Amen. He's a disgrace to hardcore gamers everywhere. Atleast the korean guy lasted three days, but one? I can do that standing on one foot.

edit: Bad parenting? Gimme a break, the kid's 15. Why shouldn't he be allowed to LAN with his friends? Sure beats going out and getting hammered, atleast from a parents point of view I'd wager.

laikenf

Oct 24, 2007
wordsmith said:
Come on, this is just the culling of the weak people in society :D Notice how none of his mates collapsed, this guy is obviously not built for hardcore gaming :)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... I didn't want to post this but I just can't help the laughter this post has caused me...

Riicek

Oct 24, 2008
Malygris said:
Reports that World of Warcraft players from France are laughing and pointing in the general direction of Sweden remain unconfirmed.
This made me "lol"