Plans to Create a Mildly Irradiated Pop Group Scrapped

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Plans to Create a Mildly Irradiated Pop Group Scrapped

Meddling locals have crushed one man's dream to create an all-girl idol group based around, of all things, the Fukushima nuclear crisis.

The Japanese pop market is ridiculously competitive. Acts can form, reach the peak of their popularity and fade into irrelevance in a matter of weeks. In a bid to make his new group stand out in the crowd, one businessman from the Chiba prefecture put forward plans for a pop group consisting of girls between 10 and 22, recruited from areas most affected by the radioactive fallout from the Fukushima Daiichi power plant meltdown. He intended to name his collection troupe of glow-in-the-dark performers the "Hot☆Spots."

No points for taste there.

To be clear, the towns this guy was recruiting from were well outside the 30km exclusion zone around the reactor, but several areas in the prefecture have been labeled "hotspots" due to elevated radiation levels. Naturally, the locals weren't so keen on a pop-group drawing attention to that fact, and their numerous complaints eventually forced him to scrap the idea.

"I truly wanted to revitalize the area, but I failed to consider the uneasy feelings others had with the plan," he told the Asahi. "In the end, it was shallow."

Source: Tokyo Reporter [http://www.tokyoreporter.com/2012/02/10/chiba-man-drops-plan-to-recruit-girls-from-high-radiation-areas-for-idol-group/]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
At least he admitted it. And holy shit, since when did you guys start posting articles at midnight (est of course)???

At least you understand your demographic is a bunch of nocturnal weirdos. :p

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Fappy said:
At least he admitted it. And holy shit, since when did you guys start posting articles at midnight (est of course)???

Know your customers :D

And yeah, the Escapist seal is quite appropriate for this story.

[sub][sub]Though, is it wrong that I read this as a real life attempt to make Nuka Cola?[/sub][/sub]

Hal10k

May 23, 2011
Why is it that all of the ideas I like are the ones everybody else decides are bad ones?

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Redlin5 said:
Fappy said:

Know your customers :D

And yeah, the Escapist seal is quite appropriate for this story.

[sub][sub]Though, is it wrong that I read this as a real life attempt to make Nuka Cola?[/sub][/sub]
Thank god I'm not the only one who thought that this was about.

OT: Yeah, I could see how this would end up as a bad idea and glad to see the Escapist understands that atleast some of us don't believe in sleeping. :D

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
You know, this is still probably one of the better ideas ive seen bearing the escapists seal of disapproval.

BUt yeah... now I cant stop thinking of the song <url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ox5-fEH4Ww>Meltdown

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Glad he decided not to whine like a little boy and at least admitted it was a bad idea.
Not bad but I think I have a better one:

Looks like he didn't expect...

*Puts on sunglasses*

Any Fallout over this.

OT: Atleast the guy was man enough to admit that he screwed up and not try put some lame ass spin on it like some people would.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I'm sorry, I was too busy hearing the awesomeness of "In The Zone", the super famous group made of glowing poland teenagers from Pripyat.

... hideous, I know... So yeah, this is officially a bad idea :p

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Fappy said:

Carter is english, while we should be sleeping, he's brimming with the joy of writing news with a coffee in hand, while watching a beautiful cloudy morning. Or so I imagine it would be if he was english in the first place >.>'

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
SupahGamuh said:
Fappy said:

Carter is english, while we should be sleeping, he's brimming with the joy of writing news with a coffee in hand, while watching a beautiful cloudy morning. Or so I imagine it would be if he was english in the first place >.>'
I actually live in Canada, I just like to work late.