Words With Friends: Love Blooms Among The Consonants

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Words With Friends: Love Blooms Among The Consonants

Is Words With Friends the latest, greatest way to find somebody to smooch? Zynga seems to think so.

In celebration of the arbitrary date selected to represent the concept of romantic love, Zynga has revealed the results of a recent player poll centering on how Word With Friends can bring people together. In a sexy way.

From the official blog:

In just three days, over 100,000 players were polled in game - showcasing the sheer mass of Words With Friends. In our favorite game of crossword combat, word warriors were surveyed in Zynga's first wide-scale poll about dating, doting and even cheating. 44% of players surveyed claimed they have gone for more than just the gold in Words With Friends, and flirted with another player in-game. Other interesting statistics include:

Say My (User) Name: 24% of players have exchanged their Words With Friends handle instead of a phone number.

Words With Benefits: One out of ten players say that Words With Friends has led directly to a hookup.

You've Got a HUGE...Vocabulary: 38% of players said they'd be more willing to hook up with someone if they're good at Words With Friends

Single and Ready to M-I-N-G-L-E: 40% of players said they would date someone they met through the game.

I'm a Player and I Just Crush a Lot: 47% of players say they are crushing on someone they are playing Words With Friends with right now.

Have Mercy: 35% of players said they let their sweetheart win.

Before He Cheats: 43% of players said they have cheated on someone...in the game.

I could write a few thousands words on how utterly depressing this all is. Alternately, I could write a few thousand words on how beautiful it is. However, instead, I think I'll toss it to you guys: Are these numbers an indicator of the game's success, or a really creepy reminder that no matter how benign the technology, humanity will always find a way to leverage it toward the pursuit of illicit, kinky, ill-advised sex?

Furthermore, are any of you suddenly drawn to the game like lonely, depressingly literate moths to a flame made of inexplicably attractive lady moths? Baffling metaphor aside, that's sorta gross guys.

Source: Zynga [https://company.zynga.com/about/press/company-blog/words-friends-players-get-flirty-and-wordy-valentines-day-poll]

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
It's like a casual MMO, I guess... lol.

But yeah, pretty crazy stats. I guess that's what happens when people of opposite sex interact, though. It's like the whole audience+anonimity=ass hole, except when you add opposite gender to the equation, it equals flirting.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
antipunt said:
I've heard some things about 'words with friends'. What the heck is it?
Essentially an online-enabled version of Scrabble.
Cool,thanks. I suppose I should've assumed just as much.

I guess it kind of makes sense. Gets two people together in a light-hearted setting who share the same interest

random image: flirting via words made in scrabble

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
antipunt said:
I've heard some things about 'words with friends'. What the heck is it?
It's Scrabble. you can check out Tobuscus' let's play of it. Or his sketch about it.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Hey, who doesn't like a smart date? Why date someone who can't at least keep up with you? It's annoying as all hell when you're talking, and they routinely stop to ask "what does that mean?" While it's not a great way to know, it's at least one way. Smart dates are sexy dates.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
Question for you guys:
Would you take the time to answer a Words with Friends poll about dating, sex, and flirting? This poll would have at least 8 questions and would impede your progress toward the triple-word score.

I always question stuff like this. It says 100,000 people were polled. And it says, of those polled, "Here's the results---in percentages." Maybe I'm reading too much into the semantics, but I doubt 47% of the people playing this game would even respond to a social questionaire. And if the resulting percentages are only from those willing to talk about their flirtatious ways, then the results are skewed again.

I have creepy old aunts that play this game (and I'm 43). I don't want to think about them answering hookup questions. My greatest fear is that there is a "Yes" somewhere in their responses.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
I could write a few thousands words on how utterly depressing this all is.
I couldn't. The shear weight of how depressing that is just leaves me speechless.
The single, lonely desperate part of me actually wants to check this out, but the more rational grounded and analytical part of me wants to run screaming in the opposite direction.

wordfriends71

Feb 23, 2012
Its really an addictive game..Even me I really download it on my iphone so during my break time in the office I will play words with friends together with my co workers..Its very cool. In times of trouble you can use the ANAGRAMMER for the best results.