Todd Howard Explains Morrowind in Skyrim

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Todd Howard Explains Morrowind in Skyrim

Bethesda's Todd Howard has revealed the shocking secret behind the presence of Morrowind and Cyrodiil in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

Not long after Morrowind [http://www.amazon.com/Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim-Xbox-360/dp/B004HYK956/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329254216&sr=8-1], where the third Elder Scrolls game took place. What gives?

Not much, as it turns out. Speaking to Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5884832/why-you-can-see-morrowind-from-skyrim] at DICE last week, Todd Howard explained that the extended land masses were included with the game simply because they're supposed to be there, and at one point they were going to be visible.

"The reason they are there - and I will not say if we are or are not using them in the future - is when we first built the landmass for Skyrim we knew we were going to have these tall mountains," he explained. "And what can you see? We have views early in the project where you can see into the [neighboring] province from the other game. We needed to have something [there]."

"It's not high detail. If you walk there, from a distance it's... yeah, the stuff is there. And the thinking is, maybe we'll use it one day, but our larger worry was, I'm going to climb up on top of a mountain and look that way. What will I be able to see there?" he continued. "We try to cover all those angles as much as we can."

Window dressing, in other words, like the gifts under department store Christmas trees, gloriously wrapped but empty inside. Which isn't terribly surprising, given the rather oddball way distance is scaled in the Elder Scrolls games, but a bit of a letdown nonetheless. Of course, Howard's refusal to definitively rule out ever using the extra terrain will no doubt be seen by some as effective confirmation that something is in the works, so don't give up on those crazy conspiracy theories just yet!

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Maybe they could patch in the distant silhouettes and cries of some delightful cliff racers beyond the mountains of Cyrodiil, so that the player feels no regret for not being able to explore further into Dunmer...

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Well....that is disappointing.

Also, unfortunately, totally reasonable.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
However I'm pretty sure you can now access those land masses with the Creation Kit and start populating them. Although you'd probably need to create a ton of new textures since the areas are so different.

Apr 28, 2008
Figured it was something like that [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheDevTeamThinksOfEverything].

It is a nice attention to detail though. Maybe modders will do something with it.

After all, modders have added Elsweyr [http://tes.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=25023] and Valenwood [http://tes.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=22555] to Oblivion. And that game didn't have the terrain outside of Cyrodiil set up for it.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Wolfram01 said:
However I'm pretty sure you can now access those land masses with the Creation Kit and start populating them. Although you'd probably need to create a ton of new textures since the areas are so different.
Or just mod in the art assets from the Morrowind overhaul mod...

<youtube=pCEc7SA0rWY>

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
I actually really like this. And it makes sense, considering the scope of Skyrim, and the fact that it's all placed in one world anyway. And it gives modders more stuff to do.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Irridium said:
Figured it was something like that [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheDevTeamThinksOfEverything].

It is a nice attention to detail though. Maybe modders will do something with it.

After all, modders have added Elsweyr [http://tes.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=25023] and Valenwood [http://tes.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=22555] to Oblivion. And that game didn't have the terrain outside of Cyrodiil set up for it.
Tvtropes....

Thank you, thanks a bunch.
I have to get up early, but I forget about that now!

OT:
One can still dream, one can still dream.

Milo Windby

Feb 12, 2010
With a primordial landscape ready to use I figure that some modders will get around to making the land more detailed and useable somehow...

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
OH LORD JESUS CHRIST THE POSSIBILITIES ARE CAUSING CANCEROUS GROWTHS IN MY BRAIN!

But yeah, department store presents.

But I hope for HQ morrowind enemies nonetheless...

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Wolfram01 said:
Or just mod in the art assets from the Morrowind overhaul mod...

<youtube=pCEc7SA0rWY>
Oh good lord. The self entitled nature of the Elder Scrolls modding community would make sure this never happened. It's a terrible cesspool of drama.

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
I sincerely doubt that, given the modding community, there won't be SOME sort of Cyrodil\Morrorwind Mod that is rather in depth. There is absolutely no reason to not expand the game into these areas. Even if it requires a loading screen. Get enough modders together, you could create the entirety of Tamriel, though it would no doubt change once Eslewere and other southern provinces were done by Bethesda in future games.

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Maybe they could patch in the distant silhouettes and cries of some delightful cliff racers beyond the mountains of Cyrodiil, so that the player feels no regret for not being able to explore further into Dunmer...
By the nine, this a thousand times. Their cries still haunt my dreams.

Nyaoku

Jan 7, 2012
I know someone's gonna hate me for saying this but here's the list.
First off, hire the guys who made that multiplayer mod.
Make it so that it'll run off remote servers and link everyone together.
Link all the lands and turn it into a FPS MMO with optional/separate singleplayer.
Profit.

Criticism is expected and encouraged.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Iron Criterion said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Good news. You know that fellow prisoner in the ship when you start Morrowind? Some of the fluff dialogue in Oblivion shows that he wiped out the entire cliff racer species.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
Nyaoku said:
I know someone's gonna hate me for saying this but here's the list.
First off, hire the guys who made that multiplayer mod.
Make it so that it'll run off remote servers and link everyone together.
Link all the lands and turn it into a FPS MMO with optional/separate singleplayer.
Profit.

Criticism is expected and encouraged.
Seems like a good idea, only I don't think it should have a separate single player, might as well make it a stand-alone game, Elder Scrolls: Tamriel the MMO or something like that. Personally I'd prefer if that didn't happen because it would most likely interrupt the Elder Scrolls series of regular games but I hardly see it as a bad idea.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Blind Sight said:
Iron Criterion said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Good news. You know that fellow prisoner in the ship when you start Morrowind? Some of the fluff dialogue in Oblivion shows that he wiped out the entire cliff racer species.
Remember how the cliff racers actually wiped out dragons in Dunmer? Yeah, I don't believe their claims of the death of cliff racers!