Remedy is "Thinking About" Alan Wake 2

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Remedy is "Thinking About" Alan Wake 2

A sequel to Alan Wake isn't the first thing on Remedy's agenda, but it believes it can produce a second entry much faster than the first.

The very best horror stories leave some questions unanswered. How did Count Dracula come by his vampiric powers? Whatever happened to Dr. Frankenstein's abominable creature? Will Alan Wake ever reunite with his wayward wife? We may never know the answers to the first two, but Remedy Entertainment is not averse to giving fans of psychological thriller eventually [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/7524-Review-Alan-Wake]. The Finnish studio doesn't have any solid plans for Alan Wake 2 at present, but believes that advancing an existing story and gameplay engine will be easier than building them from scratch. Remedy expects that Alan Wake 2 will take much less time to produce, and that its experience making the Alan Wake: American Nightmare interlude will serve as a good lesson when the time comes.

Oskari "Ozz" Häkkinen, head of franchise development at Remedy, explains that the studio has come a long way since the days of Max Payne, when the developers thought that a single-game story arc would cover their bases. "For Alan Wake, we planned a little bit more ahead ... [Remedy] had already created the fiction from the get-go to be something larger than just one game. [We] created it with a whole franchise and a whole universe in mind," says Ozz. The company may have big plans for Wake, but between Max Payne 3 and Alan Wake: American Nightmare, it's not ready to commit to a full sequel just yet. "[Alan Wake's direction is] a lot more thought out than Max Payne ever was, but at the same time we've got nothing to announce."

While Ozz remained coy about the possibility of Alan Wake 2 already being in development for the next Xbox console, he seemed confident that Remedy could produce the game in far less time than it took the company to make the first one. "Development wise, five years is developing an engine, the tech, the tools, all of the things you need to do to do a story, a character, other NPC characters and so forth," he remarked. "Without recycling much, we did [American Nightmare] in eight months, because a lot of the things were already locked down." Ozz was a bit more concrete, however, on the possibility of Alan Wake or American Nightmare for PlayStation: "I know you're never going to see [them]."

Given that Alan Wake is set for a PC release [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115753-Alan-Wake-PC-Collectors-Edition-Coming-in-March], and American Nightmare is just about ready to launch on XBLA, Remedy definitely wants to keep the IP in the public consciousness until a full sequel emerges. Until then, be sure to keep your flashlights handy and try not to wander around the misty forests of the Pacific Northwest when there's a fatal curse lurking about.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-14-remedy-discusses-alan-wake-2]

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I am looking forward to finally checking out this game on the 16th for the PC. I'm glad Remedy learned it's lesson about MS exclusives. They are just stupid and won't do you much good unless you work directly for MS.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Alan Wake was okay, but honestly I'm a little less excited for a sequel than I should be. It would be nice as horror is an overlooked genere, but another fairly linear survival horror/shooter game isn't what we need.

When it was conceived Alan Wake was supposed to be an open world horror game, something like what "Deadly Premonition" delivered, but with much better graphics and technology behind it. While it had some clever ideas, Alan Wake was fundementally just a re-tread of the more action oriened "Resident Evil" and "Silent Hill" games, but with a differant mythology built around the "shine a light on them first" mechanic and a more limited bestiary... I mean most of it is just fighting the same limited rogues gallery of shadowy humanoid shapes.

For everything I liked about Alan Wake... I think I could pass on a "more of the same" sequel. If they can ever deliver on the original promise... and "Deadly Premonition" proved it's possible, I'd be hyped for that... otherwise it's probably not worth the time.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Marshall Honorof said:
Whatever happened to Dr. Frankenstein's abominable creature?
"The Wretch"/"The Monster" in Frankenstein says he's going to the North Pole to immolate himself. Considering how he follows through on all his other promises, I think it's fair to assume that he does so without anyone calling "pics or it didn't happen."

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
totally heterosexual said:
As much as i liked alan wake, i do think they need to really up the ante if they make a sequel. Both gameplay and story wise.
Without doubt. Strip away all the fancy packaging and Alan Wake was a pretty thin on actual content and gameplay...

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
Marshall Honorof said:
The company may have big plans for Wake, but between Max Payne 3 and Alan Wake: American Nightmare, it's not ready to commit to a full sequel just yet.
But, Remedy has nothing to do with Max Payne 3. That's all Rockstar.

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
I'm sure Alan's Wake was a decent game, but I don't think a lot people losing sleep over a sequel.
I will. Your little pun aside, I am dying for a full sequel. It was my game of the year in 2010, and in my top 10 games ever.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
lol, let me play the first one since it comes out for the pc. then i will decide if i will get it or not. still not sure about part 1 if i should get it though.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
I actually rather quite enjoyed Alan Wake (To the point where I'm probably going to buy the new PC version despite having the game on my 360 before it broke) and I'll definitely be looking forward to a sequel.