Pro Tour Dark Ascension

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Pro Tour Dark Ascension

Today we look at some of the impact of Dark Ascension at the recent Pro Tour.

Read Full Article

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
Glad to hear of your successes with the huntmaster yourself while the PT was going on. The Kibler/Finkel match in the semi's was just nuts with probably one of the all time greatest top decks in the history of the game from Kibler and the most improbable win in game 5.

I picked up my playset of huntmaster's back when they were £10/$13 last Thursday and am I glad I did that. They've already hit $30 so congrats to anyone who saw it coming and cashed in.

As with going between the phases of the game each individual step of the combat phase is ended when all players pass priority consecutively with no spells/abilities on the stack and the game moves onto the next step.
Only fast abilities (Instant speed abilities/spells) may be used during the combat phase

1. Beginning of combat. Active player has first priority. Fast abilities only
2. Declare attackers step. Attackers are declared by active player then fast abilities may be played. Active player has priority first.
3. Declare blockers. Defending player assigns blockers then fast abilities may be played.
4. Combat Damage step:
4a. Attacking player assigns order of blockers to each of his blocked creatures. Each creature, in the order assigned, takes damage up until that damage would kill that creature then the next one along and so on.
4b. First strike damage is dealt
4c. Regular combat damage is dealt
5. End of combat step. Active player has priority.

Regarding protection from colour/creatures etc and interaction with trample. If the defending creature has protection from green and block a green trampler by itself you would assign damage equal to it's toughness to the defending creature and the rest would trample over and hit the defending player. eg Mirran Crusader blocking a Primeval Titan. You would take 4 damage.

sky_rider19

Mar 16, 2011
Okay, I know I'm not the best player, So what is the facination of vapor snag? Is the 1 damage worth it to use it over unsummon?

sky_rider19

Mar 16, 2011
GrandmaFunk said:
sky_rider19 said:
Is the 1 damage worth it to use it over unsummon?
unless you plan on bouncing your own creatures, it's a very obvious benefit.
That's where I see unsummon a bit better because you can use it on your own creatures without any damage done to you...

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
sky_rider19 said:
GrandmaFunk said:
sky_rider19 said:
That's where I see unsummon a bit better because you can use it on your own creatures without any damage done to you...
The reason why vapor snag is used more often than unsummon (for that matter used at all), is because there's a tempo deck in standard (delver-spirits) which almost always bounces opposing creatures, and the one damage is not irrelevant, since the deck is trying to aggro you out.

OT: In other news Huntmaster doubled in price, when I'm still looking for them. Ugh. He is an awesome card though and I'm happy to have him in the format. I'm playing my own version of the deck (Jund as opposed to RG) that's similar to the list Conley Woods used to win a recent GP, and it seems pretty good so far :D

sky_rider19

Mar 16, 2011
ZeZZZZevy said:
sky_rider19 said:
GrandmaFunk said:
sky_rider19 said:
The reason why vapor snag is used more often than unsummon (for that matter used at all), is because there's a tempo deck in standard (delver-spirits) which almost always bounces opposing creatures, and the one damage is not irrelevant, since the deck is trying to aggro you out.
Okay, thanks for the bit of clarification.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
After looking at those decks, I expect to see a rise in Surgical Extraction as a way to slow those decks down.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
I'm tired of trying to reply to this thread only to have the site eat it...

Edit:

Of course this is the one that makes it...

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Once again, my tabs make this easy.

Beginning of Combat Step
Declare Attackers Step
Declare Blockers Step
Combat Damage Step
End of Combat Step

And as always, great article. I'm really loving Dark Ascension.

Frylock72

Dec 7, 2009
vxicepickxv said:
After looking at those decks, I expect to see a rise in Surgical Extraction as a way to slow those decks down.
Surgical Extraction is already in some sideboards. The problem with it is, the card you want to hit with it has to be in the graveyard, either through a lucky discard or suffering through it getting into play. Then you have to be able to pay the Mana Leak cost if you're going against blue decks. It's a good card, but the drawback is pretty severe.

Man, that Kibler/Finkle match. Winning with a lucky topdeck. That Finals match was so boring. I'm actually going to try running a mono-Green deck, once we can get our hands on four copies of Sword of War and Peace. Not looking forward to the trades we'll need to make for those, I tell ya h-what. My other friend built a mono-Red (aggro, but not RDW) and mono-Black deck, so I'm curious to see how each of them will stand up against our FNM's meta (which is the typical one with the typical decks).

Encaen

May 6, 2005
ZeZZZZevy said:
OT: In other news Huntmaster doubled in price, when I'm still looking for them. Ugh. He is an awesome card though and I'm happy to have him in the format. I'm playing my own version of the deck (Jund as opposed to RG) that's similar to the list Conley Woods used to win a recent GP, and it seems pretty good so far :D
Oh, nice! I've been toying with variants of Conley Woods' build recently myself. I've added a few extra red sources and included a pair of Huntmasters. With the recent surge of Werewolves in my meta, I feel bad playing Glissa and Ratchet Bomb mainboard. It's so unfair in that matchup.

Frylock72 said:
I'm actually going to try running a mono-Green deck, once we can get our hands on four copies of Sword of War and Peace. Not looking forward to the trades we'll need to make for those, I tell ya h-what. My other friend built a mono-Red (aggro, but not RDW) and mono-Black deck, so I'm curious to see how each of them will stand up against our FNM's meta (which is the typical one with the typical decks).
I always appreciate a good mono-Green build. I'm sorry to hear that you're trying to trade for Sword of War and Peace at the moment, though. It's been pretty steadily climbing since January, so the value is through the roof. Good luck!

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Frylock72 said:
vxicepickxv said:
Surgical Extraction is already in some sideboards. The problem with it is, the card you want to hit with it has to be in the graveyard, either through a lucky discard or suffering through it getting into play. Then you have to be able to pay the Mana Leak cost if you're going against blue decks. It's a good card, but the drawback is pretty severe.
I was double checking the decks, and either you're going against a Huntsmaster, which generally means no blue, or you're going against blue, and you have to figure out how to kill a snapcaster. It's harder against blue, but if you can catch them after they're tapped out. Distress helps a lot to fix that problem.