MechAssault Studio Teases New Mech Game

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
MechAssault Studio Teases New Mech Game

Day 1 Studios, the creator of MechAssault, is "returning to its roots."

An interesting message [http://www.day1studios.com/news/storm-warning/] went up on the Day 1 Studios website yesterday: "Storm Warning." That's it, that's all, just those two simple words. "Storm Warning."

Actually, there was one other thing. A video, to be precise, with the message, "In 2012, Day 1 Studios returns to its roots," plus a short short of a ruined building with something big burning in the background and then - boom! - a giant robot foot-stomp. What could it mean?

Given the history of the studio, the obvious conclusion is that a new MechAssault [http://www.amazon.com/Mech-Assault-Xbox/dp/B00006LELH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329496116&sr=8-1] game is on the way. That's certainly the conclusion being reached in the follow-up comments anyway, and under the circumstances it's hard to put up much of an argument. Day 1 hasn't said anything about when it'll say anything but I imagine the official word will spring forth soon.

First Hawken! [http://mwomercs.com/] It's a good time to be a fan of giant fighting robots.

Jaegerwolf

Sep 29, 2010
Ok, the one guys I DIDN'T want making a Battletech game. We're good with Online and Tactics, we don't need you guys in the mix too.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
Jaegerwolf said:
Ok, the one guys I DIDN'T want making a Battletech game. We're good with Online and Tactics, we don't need you guys in the mix too.
I could NOT agree more. Hopefully someone forces them not to screw it up or they make their own mech game that isn't related to battletech at all in any way.

Parnage

Apr 13, 2010
No one. NO ONE. Wants a new MechAssault game. It literally turned a simulator into an arcadey robot game with power ups. I'd be okay if they did that to another giant robot franchise but that's not Mech Warrior.
It's Mech Warrior Lite. If you like that kind of thing..good for you ya sick freak.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Why all the hate
Isn't a franchise that is dead getting a new game good?
Or am i missing something?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I don't care about the MechAssault franchise either, but it's definitely interesting that after years of silence, the whole Mechwarrior franchise/genre/whatever is making such a huge comeback across multiple titles.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Hammeroj said:
rolfwesselius said:
Why all the hate
Not by virtue of simply getting another installment.

If we get something good, it's good. Not just if we get something.
How does everybody already know that it's bad.
Is there a secret x-men society on this website?

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
Hammeroj said:
Well, the teaser is nothing good, to be quite honest.

I'd rather just rewatch this.

And cry because the game is never going to make it to store shelves. At least in that form.
it's possible, Mechwarrior online is built in Cryengine 3 which is likely capable of what you see there.

If you have Crysis Wars (comes with Crysis: Warhead) you can get the mechwarrior living legends mod. It's just a mod and it looks incredible. Quite fun too.

If you are a big fan of mechwarrior I'd highly reccomend it since you can pick up crysis wars/warhead fairly cheap now. I have a friend that bought it and has never played any of the crysis bits, just the mechwarrior mod.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
rolfwesselius said:
Why all the hate
Think of it in the same fashion as the FPS XCOM game.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
rolfwesselius said:
Hammeroj said:
rolfwesselius said:
Why all the hate
Not by virtue of simply getting another installment.

If we get something good, it's good. Not just if we get something.
How does everybody already know that it's bad.
Is there a secret x-men society on this website?
Mechassault may very well been what killed the franchise. Even if it wasn't, getting a horrid game will only hurt the franchise. We don't want just another mechwarrior game, we want something worth playing.

I personally want something that's awesome and gets more people interested in the franchise and actually caring about what happens with it.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
WanderingFool said:
rolfwesselius said:
Why all the hate
Think of it in the same fashion as the FPS XCOM game.
But this is not a turn based strategy game turning into an fps.
It's a mech game staying a mech game.
How is that in the same fashion as a genre change?

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Looks cool. I've always liked the western style mechs over Gundam models. Something about a monster truck that walks like a man and has missile launchers attached to its back just seems cool.

dakkster

Aug 22, 2011
Am I the only old school BattleTech fan who hates it when people calls mechs robots?

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
no you are not i hate it too

to be honest none of the recent anouncements have me very excited at all this one may well be be awful given the studios previous work

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
Ralen-Sharr said:
Jaegerwolf said:
I could NOT agree more. Hopefully someone forces them not to screw it up or they make their own mech game that isn't related to battletech at all in any way.

You guys are freaking out over a teaser trailer. A 5 second teaser trailer. Wait for some actual news before we rip it down.