Rift Earns World Record for Most In-Game Marriages

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Rift Earns World Record for Most In-Game Marriages

Over 40,000 players tied the virtual knot in just twenty-four hours, earning their MMO of choice an official Guinness record.

Rift, Trion Worlds' nearly year-old fantasy MMO, held a massive Valentine's Day wedding event on (you guessed it) February 14th in celebration of Carnival of the Ascended, the game's 7th major update. Now, Guinness World Records is granting the game official recognition as having the "most in-game marriages with a 24-hour period."

Between 9 A.M. PST on the 14th, and 9:00 A.M. PST on the 15th, a total of 21,879 marriages took place in the world of Rift. All participating players received a special in-game title reading "The Avowed" for participating.

"Establishing this record was a monumental achievement for our development team and community of passionate players, and I couldn't be more proud," said Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer. "Ascended Weddings were a great way to lift the veil on Rift's new 'Gatherings' feature, social experiences that bring players together in new and interesting ways. We look forward to expanding this great new gameplay element in the always-evolving world of Telara."

Guinness World Records is reportedly pleased with the devleoper's evidence of the achievement, and is considering the record for publication in the 2013 Guinness World Records Gamer's Edition book.

I just hope that Trion Worlds didn't accidentally manage to somehow influence any of the young lovebirds playing Rift to rush into things just to help earn a world record. Certainly not all 40,000 players were truly ready for such a giant step in their assorted relationships? Virtual marriage is a sacred bond, and if not handled with the absolute gravity it deserves, a socially disastrous number of divorces may soon befall Telara! I just hope it was worth it, Trion Worlds.

Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/17/rift-sets-guinness-record-for-most-in-game-marriages/#continued]

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
Nice feature I guess, for couples that play to get a little something extra out of the game.

But then there's that weird grey area I'm seeing. What about 2 dudes playing chicks that pretend to be chicks and end up in a weird fake lesbian bromance? :/

just something to think about.

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
Awkward moment when your hot virtual wife is a fat 40 year old dude masturbating during the whole wedding.
Just kidding, it's a pretty nice idea, and it's good they didn't force people into heterosexual weddings
Also the dudes dance moves near the end were just, amazing

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
That awkward moment when you find out that this is actually legally recognised in the real world as well, and that people really did get married inadvertently.