Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter Breaks $2 Million

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter Breaks $2 Million

Tim Schafer's Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter has now brought in more than five times its original target amount.

It's official: The cover the rent [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventure] for a month or two, has now waved good-bye to the $2 million dollar mark. That's two million bucks spread across more than 60,000 backers, in less than two weeks, for a project that initially had a goal of $400,000.

While details about the forthcoming Double Fine Adventure are pretty much non-existent at this point [the game didn't even exist as anything more than a glint in Schafer's eye two weeks ago, after all], all that coin means more fun for everyone. The game will be developed for the PC, Mac, Linux, iOS and Android, be available in both Steam and DRM-free formats and be localized in French, Italian, German and Spanish.

Schafer's runaway success has also inspired other developers to try similar things. Brian Fargo of Interplay fame plans to launch a Kickstarter in March to help fund a giving it a go [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115883-Brian-Fargo-Kickstarting-a-New-Wasteland] too.

The pace of funding has slowed somewhat, which is no surprise, but don't worry too much if you haven't yet had a chance to fling your money at the pile. There's still 22 days left on the clock, plenty of time to do your bit.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I truly hope this "Community commission" sort of funding doesn't end in some huge legal backfire. It'd be good to have an alternative to the Publisher-owned studio production system.

If it can work, then at least here we can see that the first step can work: Getting enthusiast backing.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
This leaves me with just one question, where the hell are all these people when Double Fine actually releases a game?

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Really? I mean really? Is this going to become a thing now? If i remember right, everyone on the internet blasted our very own escapist about that yatzee thing, and there ok with this? Wheres the line people?

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
Brad Shepard said:
Really? I mean really? Is this going to become a thing now? If i remember right, everyone on the internet blasted our very own escapist about that yatzee thing, and there ok with this? Wheres the line people?
The line is Tim Schafer.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Triforceformer said:
Brad Shepard said:
The line is Tim Schafer.
Good point, Its still ridiculous, this is a COMPANY we are talking about here, e begging, god it just makes me mad...

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Brad Shepard said:
Triforceformer said:
Brad Shepard said:
The line is Tim Schafer.
Good point, Its still ridiculous, this is a COMPANY we are talking about here, e begging, god it just makes me mad...
You do realize this is partly a symbolic gesture, right? This is people voting with their money, saying "hey, we want to support developers! The publisher doesn't need to be involved."

Yeah, they've incorporated for the sake of having a name and being a legal entity, but that doesn't make them a faceless, money grubbing monster.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
I'm curious as to how this Kickstarter thing works. Do the donators get anything from it (other than knowing they helped fund a project that might produce an excellent game or might not), or is it basically just a charity drive?

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
Atmos Duality said:
I truly hope this "Community commission" sort of funding doesn't end in some huge legal backfire. It'd be good to have an alternative to the Publisher-owned studio production system.

If it can work, then at least here we can see that the first step can work: Getting enthusiast backing.
Where would the legal issue come from. If they don't fulfill their end of the contract then we should get our money back.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Erana said:
Brad Shepard said:
Triforceformer said:
Brad Shepard said:
The line is Tim Schafer.
You do realize this is partly a symbolic gesture, right? This is people voting with their money, saying "hey, we want to support developers! The publisher doesn't need to be involved."

Yeah, they've incorporated for the sake of having a name and being a legal entity, but that doesn't make them a faceless, money grubbing monster.
I respect your Opinion Miss, but something just does not feel right about a big corporation doing this.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
spectrenihlus said:
Where would the legal issue come from. If they don't fulfill their end of the contract then we should get our money back.
If history has taught me anything, it's to never underestimate the power of lawyers in business.
So many things appear to be simple transactions on paper, and turn into months long-battles in court, sometimes over the simplest things.

Call me one to err on the side of caution, though I am hopeful this process will bear fruit.

Somebloke

Aug 5, 2010
Alar said:
I'm curious as to how this Kickstarter thing works. Do the donators get anything from it (other than knowing they helped fund a project that might produce an excellent game or might not), or is it basically just a charity drive?
You are pretty much prepaying (well ahead of time) for a copy of the game, as well as access to a production video diary and betas.
Sure; The game is barely even on the planning stage, but these are people that are known to be able to deliver quality products.

You can donate larger sums and that will bag you some additional goodies, if you think they're worth it. It's all written out on the kickstarter page.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Final value: Somewhere between $2.5 and $3 million - higher if Tim adds new monetary incentives (a back catalog of Double Fine titles might well go over nicely).

Bravo.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
maddawg IAJI said:
This leaves me with just one question, where the hell are all these people when Double Fine actually releases a game?
Napping?

Radioactive Kitten

Nov 16, 2009
I've already tossed $30 into the project. I'm a big fan of both Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert, so I can't wait to see where this goes.

Schuldrich

Jan 16, 2010
Brad Shepard said:
I respect your Opinion Miss, but something just does not feel right about a big corporation doing this.
Well it's a developer begging to be able to make something they want to make. This is someone saying, "yes I could make another generic game clone that someone will publish but I want to make a game that I'll feel proud of making." So many games get pushed to the side because publishers can't see how they'll make them money, which in turn slows down new creative ideas.