Sony Patents Kinect-Like Device For PlayStation

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sony Patents Kinect-Like Device For PlayStation

Sony has applied for a patent for a Kinect-like device that will create a "three-dimensional interactive gaming environment" for the PlayStation.

Microsoft has taken the upper hand in the battle of the motion control systems, with Kinect for the Xbox 360 handily outselling the PlayStation Move. And even though recent reports indicate that Sony is patent [http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/playstation-move-sales-catching-up-to-kinect-1043099] on a device that will generate "a real-time three-dimensional interactive environment" with the ability to "obtain depth values indicating distances from one or more physical objects in a physical scene" - in other words, a PlayStation Kinect.

"Generally, embodiments of the present invention allow the user to be interactive with, and affect, computer-generated objects and environments that are combined visually with the user's actual physical environment," Sony wrote in the patent summary. "The method includes obtaining two-dimensional data values for a plurality of pixels representing a physical scene, and obtaining a depth value for each pixel of the plurality of pixels using a depth sensing device. Each depth value indicates a distance from a physical object in the physical scene to the depth sensing device. At least one computer-generated virtual object is inserted into the scene, and an interaction between a physical object in the scene and the virtual object is detected based on coordinates of the virtual object and the obtained depth values."

But more interesting than the technical aspects of the filing is the implicit admission that the wand-and-button-based Move system, which Sony has always touted as inherently superior to the no-controller approach of Kinect, may not be all that and a bag of chips after all. "Such systems may include additional equipment that the participant is required to wear, such as arm coverings or gloves with integral, more easily detectable portions or colors, and/or visible light sources such as light emitting diodes. Unfortunately, such systems do not allow for the ease-of-use, quick response, and simplicity needed to provide a user input device capable of meeting marketability requirements for consumer items such as might be required of video game controllers," the filing says.

"In view of the foregoing, there is a need for enhanced systems and methods that allow interaction in a three-dimensional environment. The methods should allow user interaction without requiring additional equipment, such as arm coverings or gloves," it continues. "In addition, the method should not require overly burdensome processing ability and should have the ability to function in real-time, thus providing the user with a natural computer interaction experience."

The filing was actually made in October 2011 by Richard Marks, better known as the man who created the PlayStation Move and who expressed interest in the potential of the Kinect in an interview with Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6307/meet_the_man_behind_the_move.php?page=3] last year. At the time, he said that 3D camera technology requires "a lot more fidelity to get the kind of control that you can already get out of the gamepad or Move." It's too late to take advantage of such technological improvements for the PlayStation 3, but a more advanced Kinect-like system for the next generation of PlayStation doesn't sound far-fetched at all.

via: PlayStation LifeStyle [http://playstationlifestyle.net/2012/02/20/sony-patents-kinect-like-3d-depth-sensing-camera-kinect-for-playstation-consoles/]

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
You know, this is actually a good thing in a way. They were the ones who really made a first attempt with PS Eye, and even if Microsoft refined it, this will hopefully lead to better games being developed for both devices. That is provided Sony doesn't make it pointlessly different enough where making games on the two devices. The thing that makes me say that is the part where they mention needing additional equipment to be worn.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Sooo... who's betting that MS and Sony will next follow Nintendo's suit and include touch screens on their next-gen controllers?

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Sooo... who's betting that MS and Sony will next follow Nintendo's suit and include touch screens on their next-gen controllers?
Well, Sony did put touchscreens on the Vita, which came after the Nintendo DS. And correct me if I'm wrong (I may be misremembering this), but didn't Nintendo do the "vibrating controller" thing first (with the N64 Rumble Pak) before Sony improved on it with the Dualshock?

I was all set to run off a long, sarcastic "jumping on the bandwagon" rant against Sony here, but on reflection I don't think it's appropriate, especially sight unseen. It might just be derivative garbage, but sometimes what appears that way at first could turn out to be an excellent refinement of the formula. I thought at first that Jak and Daxter were just another me-too mascot platformer, but apparently they turned out pretty good. Hopefully this isn't just a case of "Ooh, let's do what Nintendo's doing-- Wait, let's do what Microsoft's doing!".

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
Fr said:
anc[is]
Added to the list of things not to buy. Sony really has no shame.
So what it's ok for Microsoft to refine and copy PlayStation Eye and EyeToy but Sony can't copy and refine their own product?

Kwil said:
How does this not conflict with the patents that I'm sure Microsoft has for it's Kinect?
Same reason that Kinect doesn't conflict the EyeToy and PlayStation Eye.

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
Kwil said:
Akisa said:
Francis said:
Added to the list of things not to buy. Sony really has no shame.
So what it's ok for Microsoft to refine and copy PlayStation Eye and EyeToy but Sony can't copy and refine their own product?

Kwil said:
How does this not conflict with the patents that I'm sure Microsoft has for it's Kinect?
Same reason that Kinect doesn't conflict the EyeToy and PlayStation Eye.
Please. Eyetoy is a single camera. It's a friggin' webcam with some software behind it. Kinect is a dual camera system, with one of the cameras being, I believe, an infrared depth sensing device almost exactly as described in the Sony patent. You're essentially saying that the automobile was a refined version of a skateboard. Be serious.

Now for a moment, when reading the patent, I thought Sony was talking about having some sort of device at the rear or side of the room as well as at the front. If that was the case, then yeah, they'd have something original there -- and something which could work to give exceptional precision, I'd expect. But reading further, and I don't think it's there (which means I should probably run off to the patent office right now) but I haven't been able to get the images to load yet.
No it's more like Sony invented the car and then Microsoft invented the Model T, so Sony decide to improve upon to compete with the Model T.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Akisa said:
That argument might have some merit if the move wasn't blatant copy paste of the Wii first.

AxelxGabriel

Nov 13, 2009
No! No GD it! The Kinect NEVER sold well for Microsoft! Why the hell would Sony possibly do something like this? Where's the logic?

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
AxelxGabriel said:
No! No GD it! The Kinect NEVER sold well for Microsoft! Why the hell would Sony possibly do something like this? Where's the logic?
Logic?

It's Sony we are talking about.

Fr said:
anc[is]
Akisa said:
That argument might have some merit if the move wasn't blatant copy paste of the Wii first.
This x10

Nargleblarg

Jun 24, 2008
It'll be interesting to see by the time this device can finally make it to release how popular motion controls will still be.

Also knowing Sony this device is probably looking to be something like 299 US Dollars. Thus scaring off all consumer base minus the hardcore.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Raiyan 1.0 said:
*Earlier this month...* [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.347898-Rumor-Next-Xbox-Uses-Touchscreen-Controller]

OT: I skipped the Wii and stayed away from Sony's Move and the Kinect. I like controllers, end of story. Will Sony's motion capture be better than Microsoft's? Time will tell on that one. Will I particularly care then? Probably not any more than I do now.

RagTagBand

Jul 7, 2011
Though I'm not going to be so ignorant as to call it copying, I won't be buying it either.

Motion controls are fun gimmicks that are best kept in Arcades and me and my wallet will continue to stay away from their console versions.

Though, thinking about it, I can't think of any other avenue for Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo to go down without incurring ridiculously high R&D costs with a high risk product. So colour me unsurprised if all three don't ride this motion control malarkey into the grave.

Maybe they could work on some sort of 3D projection technology or something?