PSN Down For Maintenance Next Week

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
PSN Down For Maintenance Next Week

Come March 1st, Sony is taking the PSN down for some overnight maintenance. Again.

Sony sure likes doing maintenance on Thursdays. The company's just announced that it's taking the PlayStation Network down for some more work. That's the third time the PSN is going down for tweaking in just over a month's time.

Next Thursday (March 1st), the PSN will go offline and won't come back up until Friday morning. As opposed to <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115575-PSN-Going-Down-For-Maintenance-This-Week>some other maintenance sessions, you'll automatically be disconnected if you're logged in at 4 PM. According to Sony:

From 16.00 until 07:00 the following services will be unavailable:

PlayStation Store (PC and Console)
Customer Account Management
Account Registration
Users who are already signed into their account on PlayStation Network before the start of the maintenance will not be able to stay signed in to their online session and will be signed out at the start of the downtime period.

Users who attempt to log into their account after the maintenance begin will be presented with the site maintenance notification page.

PS HOME will also be unavailable for the duration of the maintenance.

Exactly what is being worked on hasn't been revealed.

Source: <a href=http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Technical-Help/PSN-Maintenance-scheduled-for-Thursday-1st-March-from-16-00/m-p/15192039?WT.mc_id=TSO_EN_103>Sony

Dec 14, 2009
Maybe all this maintenance has something to do with making sure that security is up to par?

They certainly wouldn't survive another situation like last year.

I could be completely wrong though...

Aenir

Mar 26, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Isn't it supposed to be the SEN now?
I was going to say this, but even in the quoted text it says PlayStation Network.

Did Sony already forget they had changed it?

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Aenir said:
DVS BSTrD said:
I was going to say this, but even in the quoted text it says PlayStation Network.

Yeah, I wasn't sure about that. Since it's referred to as the PSN by Sony, I just went with it.

Detective Prince

Feb 6, 2011
*shrugs* I suppose they need to keep us all informed to save people screaming "HACKED AGAIN!"

And I guess they should be SEN now........That's a shame, I know a hamster called Sen. Ah well. I'll find something to do. I'm sure no one's life revolves around Sony. Except Sony's life of course.

s_h_a_d_o

Mr Propellerhead
Jun 15, 2010
vansau said:
Aenir said:
DVS BSTrD said:

Yeah, I wasn't sure about that. Since it's referred to as the PSN by Sony, I just went with it.
Schizoid psychotic break?

Aug 31, 2011
The only thing worth them taking it down so often would be some features the xbox already has. Like cross-chat. Otherwise, they need to just leave it alone. They haven't added a truly useful feature since they gave PS3 users the ability to access the main menu while in-game. It's 2012, and that's the best update so far. *facepalms*

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
Not a big deal. They need to repair it, and they gave a set date and time. If anyone complains about this, slap a big "THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS" sticker on them and walk away.

Nyaoku

Jan 7, 2012
Just as a joke, gonna say this:

Make sure to read what you agree to before installing the new update. ^-^
You have been warned.

The Pinray

Jul 21, 2011
I think PSN is a great service, you definitely get what you pay for. :p

I hope they get all the issues squashed out. I haven't touched the Ps3 in awhile, but I will once I get the Jak Collection! :)

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Fuck. It's down for not evn a full twenty four hours. God forbid you can't do stuff online for a day.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Oh dear, no PSN for a day.

What has the world come to? /sarcasm.

OT: I've gotten use to these monthly check-ups. It keeps everything running nice and smooth with new services (even if some of the updates take too freaking long to install).

CobraX

Jul 4, 2010
Overquoted said:
The only thing worth them taking it down so often would be some features the xbox already has. Like cross-chat. Otherwise, they need to just leave it alone. They haven't added a truly useful feature since they gave PS3 users the ability to access the main menu while in-game. It's 2012, and that's the best update so far. *facepalms*
I thought they had Cross-Chat already.....but you have to be a paying user of PSN. I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure It's one of the "Perks" of paying for Sony's Online "Service".

FinalFreak16

Mar 23, 2010
CobraX said:
Overquoted said:
I thought they had Cross-Chat already.....but you have to be a paying user of PSN. I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure It's one of the "Perks" of paying for Sony's Online "Service".
Wasnt it declared by Sony itself that a cross game chat party system wasnt possible on the PS3 because it didnt have enough available RAM to have such a feature? The Vita apparently has more RAM and can support cross game chat though.

Certainly shows the PS3's age...

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
I think that PSN is under SEN. A SEN account allows you to sign into a number of accounts under the SEN banner, PSN, the Sony music account and so on... Like Bioware is under the EA banner, your user id is for your EA/Bioware account.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
FinalFreak16 said:
CobraX said:
Overquoted said:
Wasnt it declared by Sony itself that a cross game chat party system wasnt possible on the PS3 because it didnt have enough available RAM to have such a feature? The Vita apparently has more RAM and can support cross game chat though.

Certainly shows the PS3's age...
It's not a matter of RAM, it's a matter of Sony setting a certain amount of RAM aside for that purpose (developers can't touch it). You can pull up the XMB within any game because Sony designed it that way but they didn't design it for cross game chat. It is conceivable that Sony could set aside RAM now for all future games to have cross game chat but it wouldn't help with older games.