Killzone 3 Multiplayer Goes Free-to-Play

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Killzone 3 Multiplayer Goes Free-to-Play

Taking cues from MMOs like Rift and World of Warcraft, Killzone 3 will soon let gamers download and play its multiplayer component for free - with a level cap.

Beginning next week, Killzone 3's multiplayer will be available for free on PSN. Players who download the service will join and be matched with those who own the full game, gaining access to the Warzone, Operations, and Guerilla Warfare modes, as well as every map and DLC pack currently available. The only difference will be the maximum level reachable, capped at "Sergeant" (level 10 of 45) for those unwilling to open their wallets.

Players who want to advance past level ten can pay a one-time fee of $14.99 to unlock the "full experience." Aside from being able to eventually max out their character, they'll also be granted 24 hours of double-experience play, as well as access to multiple "double experience weekends," the first of which to take place March 2nd.

Splitting apart Killzone 3 is an interesting idea and, in retrospect, one that I'm somewhat surprised we haven't seen sooner. These days, many people purchase shooters almost exclusively for the multiplayer, either forgiving under-developed campaigns or ignoring them completely. Now, for less than 50% of the full game's current value, players will be given the option of only paying for what they want, and only after a solid amount of "try before you buy." That isn't to say that Killzone 3's singleplayer isn't worth a try, just that it's sort of great that Sony is giving players options. And options are always a good thing to have.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/24/killzone-3s-multiplayer-on-psn-as-standalone-free-to-play-game/]

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
I always thought that the inevitable evolution of online passes would be buying the game for 30 dollars and having to pay another 30 for the multiplayer.
I actually think that will be beter for publisher's dev's and gamers.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I do think thats a genuinely good move on Sony's part there.

And its one that EA and Activision can pick up on too. It wont make me buy, or even try, Call of Duty or Battlefield, but its a good move to make nontheless.

I wonder if Sony is planning the same thing for Resistance 3...

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
That's pretty neat. And it's doing it properly: offer it for free to give them a taste, and then offer it for half the price of the full game, since you're only getting Multiplayer.

I've got the full game, and I still believe it was well worth it for the fuckawesome campaign, but for people more interested in the multiplayer, this can only be a good thing.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I'm really surprised this hasn't been done before, I hope the bigger publishers start seeing some potential and start doing similar stuff.

Who played the campaign of BF3 anyways?.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
This is quite a good idea. Those, like me, who already own the game, get fresh meat to play against.

SupahGamuh said:
Who played the campaign of BF3 anyways?.
Me. It was decent to the extreme. I enjoyed 3 levels. Out of some 15. The rest was boring, and senseless. It did show off the engine quite well though. It's also the only game I love for the multiplayer. I'm generally a singleplayer guy, but the online is so
much fun if you have a friend with a mic.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
While I'm glad that this is happening since I've always wondered why these shooters aren't sold as "multiplayer" and "single player" packs I'm livid because I paid 120.00 pounds Sterling for KillZone 3 and then my PS3 YLOD, so I had to fork out more money! ARGGHHH!

bringing in more players can only be a good thing though, *grumble grumble*

Mike Kayatta said:
Now, for less than 50% of the full game's current value
Looks like I'm crying myself to sleep tonight, again

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
....that's actually a great idea. Funny thing is, I guarantee that very few, if any, other console FPS will do this. I can't see this happening with Call of Duty when there's millions of people willing to pay full price for a content patch every year.

AJax_21

May 6, 2011
That sounds really awesome, I might jump in and actually pay. I do remember liking the beta.

Next step: More hats!

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
It's a really good idea.
Wish that this happened with MW3 because I haven't played the campaign, plus CoD (MW2, MW3,B Ops) campaigns aren't really worth paying the other £20 of the £40 paid for the game.

Sp3ratus

Apr 11, 2009
Mike Kayatta said:
Players who download the service will join and be matched with those who own the full game, gaining access to the Warzone, Operations, and Guerilla Warfare modes, as well as every map and DLC pack currently available.
That's brilliant, more people who get to enjoy the awesome multiplayer of KZ3. As I've said before, for me it's the best multiplayer I've played since BF1942 back in the day.

I'm especially excited about the above part, I hope it happens to both groups, giving access to the DLC map packs, both to those who try it out with the free offer and for those of us who have the full game. I can't wait to play me some Blood Gracht again.

Gorilla Gunk

May 21, 2011
I already own the game so I'm wondering, would now be a good it e to finally buy the map pack/s?

I resisted getting them earlier because I didn't think anybody played them but now that we're about to get a fresh batch of new players with the map packs, I'm thinking now would be a good time to get it.

Too bad they're not offering the map packs free for people who bought the full game.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I absolutely love this. Sure it sucks for the people that already have the game (assuming they still have to buy the DLC maps). Still, as I've said before, multiplayer games have so much to gain from simply having people playing them, so F2P benefits the paying costumers as well. I hope and believe this will be a rousing success, I know I'll be checking it out come Tuesday. I may even buy the level cap increaser, just to support this move.

Sp3ratus

Apr 11, 2009
Gorilla Gunk said:
I already own the game so I'm wondering, would now be a good it e to finally buy the map pack/s?

I resisted getting them earlier because I didn't think anybody played them but now that we're about to get a fresh batch of new players with the map packs, I'm thinking now would be a good time to get it.

Too bad they're not offering the map packs free for people who bought the full game.
I agree, it would make a lot of sense for them to offer the DLC packs free as well, we can only hope it'll come down the road.

As for whether they're worth it, not sure. Blood Gracht and Salumun Market were awesome in KZ2, especially the former. I had such intense battles in that map and it being shined up and with the new additions in the KZ3 multiplayer, I can't see how it can't be better. With the multiplayer going free, it would probably also mean that there won't be a shortage of players. I just hope it'll last. I remember buying the DLC packs for KZ2 and unfortunately, finding players to play with was pretty hard, since not a lot bought those packs. Too bad, because there were some pretty good maps inbetween.

If you do go ahead and buy them, I'd be very interested to hear what you think. I've been thinking about buying them as well for a while, but never really gotten around to it, because of my KZ2 experience with map packs.

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
I actually came up with the idea for downloadable standalone multiplayer a while ago and wrote a blog post about the idea back in December. Here's the link,

http://ultimablackmage.blogspot.com.au/2011/12/time-for-online-multiplayer-to-become.html

Give it a read and spread the word on who came up with the idea! The whole free to play with a level cap thing makes sense to add on what I came up with... in the real world we call it a demo!

Zetona

Dec 20, 2008
This seems like an interesting trend. I hope it happens closer to the release date in the future.

I borrowed KZ3 from a friend and greatly enjoyed the multiplayer. If I weren't at college, I would absolutely shell out the $15 for the multiplayer, and it might be a good model to get some friends playing as well. KZ4'd better have a similar feature upon its release.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Waaghpowa said:
....that's actually a great idea. Funny thing is, I guarantee that very few, if any, other console FPS will do this. I can't see this happening with Call of Duty when there's millions of people willing to pay full price for a content patch every year.
Don't forget, that same franchise is also charging an optional fee to give you some more content for a year.
They already know that half of the players will drop the game a year later when the next CoD arrives, and found a way to milk each installment to it's full capability.

Consoles need more free-to-play games without the pay-to-win system a lot of Korean FPS games for the PC have.

Gorilla Gunk

May 21, 2011
As much as I like this, I think it's kind of bullshit that the new players basically get all the DLC free while people who actually bought the game still have to pay.

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
Wait.
The multiplayer component of that game cost $14.99?
I don't know about you, but to me that seems a bit steep.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
This is a great idea. I bought Killzone 3 on launch so this affects me in no way.

Also you can get the full game for about a fiver now.

But the thought is there.