Pokémon Black and White 2 Set for Fall Release

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Pokémon Black and White 2 Set for Fall Release

Black 2 and White 2 are direct sequels to their predecessors, and both will land in the US in fall 2012.

First confirmed [http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/25/pokemon-black-and-white-2-announced-hits-japanese-dses-this-jun/] by Nintendo of America Inc., news about Pokémon Black Version 2 and White Version 2 boils down to this: the two new games will drop first in Japan in June this year, with a European and North American release following at some point during fall 2012. In a departure from the normal Pokémon routine, both games are direct sequels to the respective Black and White titles.

The games will be playable on the DS and 3DS, and feature prominently two new legendary pokémon (as pictured). Named Black Kyurem and White Kyurem respectively, details regarding their origin and whether or not they're anything more complex than colorful (or maybe evolved?) versions of the original Kyurem pokémon from Black and White have yet to be released.

Not to worry, though: Nintendo of America has promised to release plenty more details about the games and their monsters between now and the various global release dates. Until then, we're left to wonder why Nintendo chose right now to break its traditional Pokémon development cycle and branch off into the world of direct sequels. Will we see more mineral-based titles in the future? Was anyone else hoping for Pokémon: Scandium and Lanthanum (I totally was)? Ears to the ground, Poké-fans.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-27-pokemon-black-and-white-2-announced]

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I am really looking forward to this. New Pokemon games this year. Just a shame I will have a busy fall...

TheLittlestAirship

Accepting job offers, Amazon!
Nov 21, 2009
There are numbers in my main series Pokemon game titles! Actually, this might be a very interesting turn of events. Or a mess.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
As a long-time pokemon fan, when I heard this news yesterday I was very excited. While we don't yet know what Nintendo is planning, this looks like it could finally be a break away from an entertaining and polished but somewhat pointless third version if this is a true sequel.

Why the break in formula? Perhaps they want the fifth generation over faster so they can move onto the 3DS pokemon games in 2013 when the DS really starts to bite the dust? So soon after the original B/W, a third version could be a difficult sell, so they might be sweetening it by making a completely new story. Alternately, maybe they know that a sub-set of hardcore fans will buy both new versions, thus doubling sales. Or perhaps they just realised the inevitable "Pokemon Gray" name sounded boring?

Hylke Langhout

Mar 2, 2011
I'm honestly not sure what to think of this. On the one hand, they're breaking the pattern, which is always good. On the other hand, a direct sequel to a game whose plot was rounded off seems really odd. I also wonder if they are including any other new Pokémon, or at least something extra that distinguishes it from the originals. And one question: Does "The games will be playable on the DS and 3DS" mean there will be a separate 3DS version?

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
That.. was very unexpected. Color me intrigued. Black and White may have had the worst pokémon designs of the series (so far), but the story was better than those of the other Pokémon games and it seemed more.. streamlined than the other titles. I'll be cautiously looking forward to this. Unless they add another Stunfisk. Or another Patrat. Or.. I'm gonna need a pen.

albinoterrorist

Jan 1, 2009
Black Kyurem and White Kyurem?
Jesus Christ.
Will they be Fire/Ice and Electric/Ice, or Fire/Dragon and Electric/Dragon, or Ice/Dragon and Ice/Dragon?
I don't understand how the concept can work.

What is this, I don't even..

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Judging how soon the release is, it won't suprise me if it's a slight remake but regardless I am still intend to buu White this time.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
JoJo said:
Or perhaps they just realised the inevitable "Pokemon Gray" name sounded boring?
They could call it Pokemon Steel or Pokemon Chrome.

OT: Am I the only fan of the series that didn't care for GenV and looks at this direct sequeling as a lack of good ideas on Nintendo's part? The 2 implies that this will likely be the continuation of the story from the previous game, which I felt the game relied too much on. I'm not against the story, but it was the driving force of the GenV games when what made the earlier ones so special was just the open-world exploring and making the story yourself. It was simpler, didn't bog you down with loads of pointless dialogue, and just got you to the gameplay.

I probably won't buy these games unless they announce something revolutionary, but even then these are still GenV games and I am still under the impression not enough changed from GenIV to justify making a whole new set of games for them, especially when I still hold GenIV up as the best one yet in terms of game mechanics.

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
I'm interested to see how much of a "Sequel" this is. Are we going to play as the same characters in the same region as a followup to what happened previously with Team Plasma, or is it going to be a sequel in the same sense that Gold and Silver were sequels to Red and Blue?

I doubt it's the former, because you would have to import your Pokemon from the first Black and Whites. While the importing from the previous games is certainly possible (Pal Park), what if you didn't play the first game? It doesn't sound like a risk Nintendo would take.
Or you would have to start over from scratch (Lv 5 starter) no matter what.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
B&W were my first pokemon games since Red and Blue (not counting the first stadium and first colosseum) and I loved every second of them. I originally started with just white version but picked up black so I could play through with my team from red. I was considering getting a grey version if they did it but didn't see much incentive to have what would amount to three copies of the same game. If these two really are going to be direct sequels I'll have to check em out.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
SilverUchiha said:
They could call it Pokemon Steel or Pokemon Chrome.

OT: Am I the only fan of the series that didn't care for GenV and looks at this direct sequeling as a lack of good ideas on Nintendo's part? The 2 implies that this will likely be the continuation of the story from the previous game, which I felt the game relied too much on. I'm not against the story, but it was the driving force of the GenV games when what made the earlier ones so special was just the open-world exploring and making the story yourself. It was simpler, didn't bog you down with loads of pointless dialogue, and just got you to the gameplay.

I probably won't buy these games unless they announce something revolutionary, but even then these are still GenV games and I am still under the impression not enough changed from GenIV to justify making a whole new set of games for them, especially when I still hold GenIV up as the best one yet in terms of game mechanics.
No, I generally didn't care for Gen V either, I bought the games, I completed it's story and I transferred my Pokémon over from my previous title (which for me was Soul Silver).
But beyond that there was nothing there to really grab me and keep me playing.

Something that Soul Silver managed to do, sure it was a re-tread of a previous (and vastly superior) generation, but for me Soul Silver was the closest they've come to a flawless execution for Pokémon title.

I don't think I'm the only one who thinks this direct sequel stuff is just plain nonsense...

I mean black Kyurem and white Kyurem? Really? We're genuinely defining them as separate species because they're different colour?

Guess they should start making more space in the pokédex now, since all the Shinies are going to be their own pokémon now...

Beyond that though, the way they've released their games previously has been nothing short of consistent winning... Why change it now and risk making your demographic realise you really have run out of ideas?

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Well hey, if it means we don't have another generation of uninspired monsters to add to the roster, I'm all for direct sequels. I just hope they plan on mixing up the series' formula as well. I didn't play Black or White though, so I doubt I'll be getting any sequels, unless the gameplay really is completely new.

Call me when Pokemon Snap 2 comes out.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Not 3DS exclusive? Alrighty then, you get my money again Nintendo. Now, where is my money?

*looks at new car*

Riiiiight....

Well, I guess I go without food for a bit.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Still no actual confirmation on whether these are actually sequels or updated releases. Either way my body is ready... Can't wait to find out more.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Hylke Langhout said:
And one question: Does "The games will be playable on the DS and 3DS" mean there will be a separate 3DS version?
No. The way I understand it, after reading this same story from other sources, the game will be developed for the DS and you'll just be able to play that same version on the 3DS console, just like Black and White.

SilverUchiha said:

You are not alone.

I am a Nintendo, and therefore a Pokemon, latecomer. My first Pokemon game was White which I bought for my 3DS and although I haven't completed it yet I have had a lot of fun with it. However, I recently purchased Soul Silver and started that as well. My first impression was that Soul Silver was far superior to White. Everything looked and felt so much better, the graphics and animation during battles is more detailed and exciting and there appear to be a whole lot of elements in SS that are missing in White. White feels like a step backwards and that's only with my limited knowledge of the games.

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
One point of clarification: I'm pretty sure the two new Kyurems are simply alternate forms of the original Dragon/Ice Pokémon, rather than different species altogether. I imagine each of the two new forms will have different stats and learnsets, but the species and typing will not change. At least, I imagine the typing won't.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Redlin5 said:
Not 3DS exclusive? Alrighty then, you get my money again Nintendo. Now, where is my money?

*looks at new car*

Riiiiight....

Well, I guess I go without food for a bit.
It doesn't come out until fall, so maybe you can stock up on cheap food now and still have some left over for this! Or, that's how I'm justifying myself for this anyway.

OT: Hmm.... little odd that it's coming out for both the DS and 3DS, but hey, I'm not complaining, it's not like I'd be using the 3D part anyways. Curious to know how this one will work seeing as it's actually going to be a sequel, and not a new one, or it being Pokemon Gray.