Nintendo: Wii Price Cut is Coming...Someday

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Nintendo: Wii Price Cut is Coming...Someday

Nintendo president Reggie Fils-Aime promises a drop in the Wii's price sometime before Armageddon but after hell freezes.

Speaking with Forbes [http://www.forbes.com/2008/11/17/nintendo-filsaime-community-tech-personal-cx_cm_1118nintendo.html?partner=alerts] magazine, Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime confirmed that Nintendo is willing to drop the Wii's price, but with the system still selling incredibly well, the publisher is in no rush.

"At some point, it will be time to adjust the [price]," stated Fils-Aime, "but we're nowhere near that point now."

Demand for Wii Fit continues to keep Wii hardware and software off of store shelves, setting Nintendo up for high sales during a low economic cycle.

"With Wii hardware, I think we've got a good shot at meeting demand during the holidays," Fils-Aime says. "With Wii Fit, I know we'll fall short. That's a product we have consumers lining up for each morning outside of our Nintendo World store [in New York City]."

This holiday season, Nintendo's message sounds familiar: There's enough demand for its most popular product that a hardware price drop sounds ridiculous for business.

Lance Icarus

Oct 12, 2007
Price cuts? Who said price cuts? It's already the cheapest of the next gen (depending on if you count the XBox Arcade bundle a system or not) and it took Halo 3 to dethrone the Wii and that only worked for a month. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Killerbunny001

Oct 23, 2008
My opinion is that the price on Wii Remotes should be reduced, 2 of mine already broke down and not because I was dropping them or hitting them against the walls, just because they are cheep junk.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
its been the cheapest 7th gen console since launch, even when the 360 price dropped, it was still beaten by the wii. if they can drop the price and still make loads of money it just goes to show that the price was too much in the first place.

Lance Icarus

Oct 12, 2007
Killerbunny001 said:
My opinion is that the price on Wii Remotes should be reduced, 2 of mine already broke down and not because I was dropping them or hitting them against the walls, just because they are cheep junk.
Now this is an idea I can get behind.

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
Demand is continually outstripping supply, so it's hardly surprising that there aren't any price cuts planned. Price cuts are what you do when the supply builds up too much over the demand. Basic economics.