Sony Blocks Netflix Movies On Xbox 360

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sony Blocks Netflix Movies On Xbox 360

Xbox Live [http://www.sony.com].

The news was originally broken by Xbox 360 [http://www.joystiq.com/2008/11/18/nxe-netflix-streaming-queues-suddenly-gimped/].

"In the case of Xbox 360, a few hundred titles are temporarily unavailable to be streamed via the Xbox game console. Those titles are still available to be watched on subscribers' computers and on TVs via other partner devices, and we hope they'll be licensed for Xbox 360 shortly," Netflix Vice President of Corporate Communications Steve Swasey said in a statement to MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/11/18/sony-blocks-netflix-360-movies/].

"As watching instantly becomes a more prominent part of the Netflix service, our goal is to have all of our streaming content licensed for all of our partner devices," he continued. "We're doing well in this area, but it will take some time before we fully achieve that goal. Today, titles regularly come in and out of license and there is a natural ebb and flow to what we have on license at any given point in time."

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Wooo time for the console war to get petty. I call Microsoft making Sony products incompatible with Windows as the next escalation :-D

TheBadass

Aug 27, 2008
I'm not really sure why this is suprising. I mean, I can't imagine Microsoft being all that happy to let Sony market their content, either.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
Saw this elsewhere. My theory is that it is a simple matter of a device like the Xbox 360 not being covered under the Netflix contract for those movies in particular. I don't look at it as being something petty.

Of course, time will tell.

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
Gloves off. This is going to get nasty. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony finds it has licensing issues with their office PCs!

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
What a load of Bovine Scat. Sony should've thought of this idea first on their PS3. Too bad Microsoft has been ahead of Sony in almost every console innovation for a few years now.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Sony should not have made this move, it's extremely petty and VERY bad business behavior. They should be ashamed.

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
Dear Sony,

The Windows Operating system has undergone a recent update that will require corrective action on the part of some of our vendors. Sony DVD-RW, HD Monitors, and other peripheral devices will need to undergo a dedicated firmware update in order to interact with Windows based PCs. This issue cannot be corrected within Windows, so this will require a recall to be issued on all of your products.

In addition, we regret to inform you that we will not be renewing the license agreement to provide the OS for your Vaio line of PCs and Desktops.

Thank you very much, Microsoft Vendor Relations.

PS. Payback is a B****.

Rezfon

Feb 25, 2008
Theres only one reason I hate sony and thats the way they treat customers and other businesses. They make good hardware, but just happen to screw everything up by how they treat people. Another petty attempt by Sony. Surely this isn't the time to be doing this especially seeing all the commotion they are causing with LBP.

Aiden Rebirth

Nov 19, 2008
While this isn't surprising but Sony is gonna lose money one way or another, 1 in helping Xbox, or 2 in losing netflix money, which do you think is worse? obviously sony made the right choice even though i really wanted to see superbad i here its a great movie...

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
Jhereg42 said:
Dear Sony,

Thank you very much, Microsoft Vendor Relations.

PS. Payback is a B****.
Yeah, exactly. They're not playing with Sega or Nintendo. Microsoft can defend itself pretty capably!

HannesPascal

Mar 1, 2008
Makes sense. But what wouldn't make any sense had been if Microsoft stopped making Windows compatible with Sony computers 'cause Microsoft would loose much money doing that. To add i hope that Sony stops their and at least doesn't make TVs that aren't compatible with xbox (I don't know how they could do that and I'm it won't happen

WTEricson

Jun 21, 2008
So Sony is deciding to keep it's content exclusive..... did I miss the time machine ride back to the 80s when this was new to consoles? Now that it's Sony's strongest asset (video entertainment) it's somehow different? Comparing entertainment to windows is a bit of a stretch..... this was wrote on a PS3 btw, think I'll go rent some netflix from my PS3 next.... or just get the movie instantly downloaded into HighDef on my HardDrive without waiting 3days, leaving my house, or watching via crappy streaming video.... yet still have these options, although since it's via the REAL WEB the option of FREE is there. Unlike a brainwash internet experience that even though you pay for it you are refused internet access..... who are you mad at again?

M$ can keep their Vista and Sony can keep their movies.... deal with it.

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
Hmmm, this in no way affects Europe, we pay MORE than you Americans, and we get LESS than you! How is that fair?

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
I happen to think it's brilliant. If I was Sony, I'd do the same thing to that loud, obnoxious jock down the road. Maybe if he was a little nicer, I'd let him play with my cool stuff, but he's not.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
sirdanrhodes said:
Hmmm, this in no way affects Europe, we pay MORE than you Americans, and we get LESS than you! How is that fair?
Exactly

Supernovajake

Oct 18, 2008
All's fair in love and war. But there could be consequences for PS3 and 360 owners if this gets out of control.