Adidas Sues THQ

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Adidas Sues THQ

Adidas has filed a $10 million lawsuit against THQ for its failure to complete a fitness game based on the miCoach.

Because there's not already enough bad news on THQ's plate, here's another serving: sport duds company Adidas wants $10 million from the publisher for breach of contract relating to its failure to publish a game based on the miCoach [http://www.adidas.com/ca/micoach/], an athletic motion-tracking device intended for use as a coaching tool. The game was tentatively entiteld MiCoach 24/7 and was supposed to launch in January 2012, but THQ informed Adidas in December 2011 that it would not be able to finish the game.

It will probably come as no surprise that the failure to deliver was caused by THQ's recent financial struggles. Sales are way down, the company's share price has sunk so low that it faces NASDAQ delisting and it has been forced to impose major layoffs, which included employees on the MiCoach team.

Adidas has also accused THQ of refusing to turn over MiCoach-related materials to its choice of replacement developer. The lawsuit claims more than $10 million in damages as a result of THQ's inability to deliver and also seeks an order that the publisher not sell or transfer the rights to the game.

THQ's share price is currently floundering at around 50 cents, half of the minimum $1 price [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115591-THQ-Faces-NASDAQ-Delisting] it needs to achieve in order to remain on the NASDAQ.

Source: Oregon Live [http://www.oregonlive.com/playbooks-profits/index.ssf/2012/03/adidas_files_lawsuit_against_t.html]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Ouch. I had no idea THQ was in such a bad situation. Way to kick them while they're down Adidas... hopefully they aren't using their cleats.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fappy said:
Ouch. I had no idea THQ was in such a bad situation. Way to kick them while they're down Adidas... hopefully they aren't using their cleats.
I'd feel worse if they hadn't screwed Saints Row fans.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Zachary Amaranth said:
Fappy said:
What'd they do to them?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
With this im now convinced that THQ is doomed.

Its just too bad i cant think of a reason why i would miss them.

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Fappy said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Fappy said:
What'd they do to them?
Made Saints Row 3
and then DLC'd every little thing after that as well

been a few of those 'kick them when they're down' news stories coming out lately

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
Fappy said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Fappy said:
What'd they do to them?
Sold us half a game at full price. SR3 had such little content compared to SR2 and now they're selling something like 40 weeks of DLC to try make money off it.

Having said that, I feel bad for THQ's employees. I know it wasn't the art team, the software team or the majority of the employees at THQ who decided what to do with Saints Row 3, or most of their other projects. I like THQ as a publisher, they've funded some good games and series.

This is probably going to be the last nail in the coffin.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Damn, this is indeed sad news. Crawling out of a hole like that will be difficult. But i hope THQ will manage it...

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Fappy said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Fappy said:
What'd they do to them?
Made Saints Row 3
They cancelled Saint's Row: Drive-By as well. I can deal with SR3 mainly because it lets me play as Punisher (when I use my imagination). I guess all we have to do now is wait for the bleeping of their life support to turn into a long, damning, Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee noise.

Swyftstar

May 19, 2011
It seems kind of harsh, but if THQ did indeed refuse to turn over materials to a replacement publisher then they kind of forced Adidas hand a bit. They want something out of this. Mayhaps those materials might have soothed them enough financially to keep this from happening. I understand you don't want to give up hard work already done but they are in no position to play hardball with anybody.

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
CrossLOPER said:
Versuvius said:
But but but but...Dawn of War D:
Dude, the apocalypse could not kill Warhammer 40k. It's going to be there for all eternity right along with mutants, Deus Ex, Baldur's Gate, and Couter Strike 1.6.
Well i know that. But...Warhammer! Christ i've spent the past 7 days derping with Rogue Trader...

The point is: Do i trust anyone else to do DoW Right? I don't think i do.

Flame at will.

Jun 7, 2010
Great news, now we've just got Activision, EA and Ubisoft to go and we're all set.

Wait, aren't THQ publishing Darksiders 2?

DON'T YOU DIE ON ME NOW!!!! *defibrillator*

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
CrossLOPER said:
Versuvius said:
But but but but...Dawn of War D:
Dude, the apocalypse could not kill Warhammer 40k. It's going to be there for all eternity right along with mutants, Deus Ex, Baldur's Gate, and Couter Strike 1.6.
It's quite funny/sad/odd that 1.6 is still the most played game on Steam.

I wonder what will happen with Dark millennium...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fappy said:
What'd they do to them?
Online pass, especially since Co-Op is one of the heaviest advertised features of the game. Smaller city, fewer events, shorter story (which implemented mini-games to fill out a full third of the game, where they were optional before), a perk system which broke the game fast (if the upgrades didn't do it first).

Oh, and over 40 dollars of on-disc DLC. And that's JUST the on-disc DLC.

In short:

DVS BSTrD said:
Made Saints Row 3